Quick Look compiles icons of nested items

nato64

19 posts in this topic

First off, new folder icons that only Quick Look uses

newicon.png

newicon_closeup.png

nestedicons.png

Notice that Quick Look accumulates what's inside the folder it's previewing and assembles the icons of the nested documents in piles.

nestedmovies.png

As far as I can tell, Quick Look assembles preview icons for many documents, including movies. It's a lot more than the standard finder preview does.

I also found out it does Application icons, text documents, songs (the Album Art), PDFs, the works.

Looks nice, though I'm hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg.

After all, Windows XP has been offering a folder preview view for years now (even if it's IMO rather unattractive).

Q: how does the Quick Look preview handle, say, a folder of 20 or 30 items? I assume (rather like XP) it just shows the first 5 or something.

my guess this is where some of the resolution independent icons (600x600 or whatever) that apple wanted made to come into play because currently when looking at regular icons (one's without the quicklook magic above) they are pretty pixelated.

edit: also i just thought, but can't try, if u click on the "piles" would it rotate whats on top?

lookmark,

Yeah, it seems to only show the first 8 or so.

robhim,

No, it doesn't.

That's a customized icon.

With an MP3, Quick Look plays and shows the Album Art

Picture%201.png

With purchased music, the audio doesn't work nor does it show the album art.

Picture%202.png

The scroll bar is an interesting asset. It looks very out-of-place.

Picture%203.png

Mail messages

Picture%204.png

iChats

Picture%205.png

Contacts

Picture%207.png

Interesting GUI for a highlighted image

Picture%208.png

When the quick look window is too small to show all the information, it shrinks it down to just the icon

Picture%2011.png

Picture%2022.png

Because of Resolution Independence, Apple advised Developers to make 256x256 icons instead of Mac OS 10.0-10.4 128x128. This Quick Look folder one of the few icons in Leopard that are 256x256 (the other's being Time Machine, Spotlight, Exposé, and Spaces). So it's a safe bet that this is the new folder icon and will replace the folder icon system-wide, including the icon-specific folders like Library, System, Music, ect.

you're right, my bad!

i'm excited too. because I have way too much time on my hands, I took the new leopard folder icon and made new ones from it like Applications, Movies, Music. Now my entire system has the new icon ^_^