Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Takuro

10 posts in this topic

Nine Inch Nail's album Year Zero officially came out a few days ago. Most of the tracks have been "leaked" in different, creative ways, such as in USB thumb drives intentionally left at weird places world-wide for people to find.

I think the coolest thing about the album is that way that Trent Reznor, the lead vocalist and main writer of NIN's songs, actually wants to spread non-DRM music to people. He actually wanted high-quality versions the songs to leak onto LimeWire and other P2P programs before the album's initial release. In fact, on NIN.com, they have a GarageBand file for their song Survivalism available for remixing "with no strings attached." So in the battle against DRM, Nine Inch Nails gets big brownie points (plus for the fact they use Apple computers to finalize all their songs.)

But then there's the thing that really matters: How good are the songs on the album themselves? Personally, I thought Year Zero sounded surprisingly different from their last album, With Teeth.

Out of the 16 tracks, about 11 simply use simple computer-synthesized beats with an occasional distortion sound in the background. I miss the fast-paced guitar-screaming songs of With Teeth personally. Although I've tried very hard to like the album, I can't seem to. It sounds like industrial music on steroids with an ear-bleeding combination of cheesy high-pitched static noises with the continuous voice of Trent Reznor droning his pessimistic poetry in the background.

I'm wondering if its just me, or if this album can legitimately be marked as "crappy." I'm a huge NIN fan, so its hard for me to say it.

• 5 months later...
With Teeth songs done live (a la Beside You In Time) sounded a LOT better. The album was a bit polished off, but the live tracks definately had the grit and style NIN is known for.

I thought with teeth sounded like lenny kravitz jamming with ministry

;)

It didn't give us what we expected, which I think was a better move on Reznor's part than giving us another Fragile or Downward Spiral. Nothing against those two, they just don't need duplicates.

And going back to Pretty Hate Machine, we all know he has a lot of Pop influences. Nothing wrong with letting them show.

It didn't turn out the way you wanted it, did it?
hahahahahgood one! ;)
And going back to Pretty Hate Machine, we all know he has a lot of Pop influences. Nothing wrong with letting them show.
haha, I think his lyrics have regressed into a PHM state as well...what was that line about slipping on the tears you made me cry?god trent, we were all young at one point, but read some celine or something before writing more trite mope {censored}...