Major Security Update for Tiger and Panther

11 posts in this topic

Apple has released their second biggest security update of the year, covering 25 vulnerabilities in 20 components.

Most of the vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute malicious code, although no exploits have been reported so far. Components at risk include iChat, fetchmail and Libinfo. Apple has also addressed an issue with the Login Window that would allow the local user to obtain system privileges and execute arbitrary code. You can learn more about the vulnerabilities here.

Early indications suggest that the update is safe to run on OSX86 installations.

Does anybody know that if it fixes login window vulnerabilities that it actually updates the binary file in loginwindow.app/contents/resources/macos/loginwindow? I have to use the Netkas patch for the 10.4.9 loginwindow, so I'm wondering if I'll have to reapply it.

Security Update fixed some vulnerabilities that I was trying to track down for quite some time since I updated to 10.4.9. Now I have a cleaner console log output. Works great.