Do you believe in One World Government?

OryHara

22 posts in this topic

So what do you think? Do you think that everyone is the same, should believe the same, worship the same god (or the state), be forced to live with opposing cultures that you cannot stand, and be dictated to by a government on the other side of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with you, or what you do / do not believe in?

are you the anti-christ? :pnoid:

kidding. i'd love to see a single world government, but it isn't possible with religious wars still happening. until people manage to agree on religion of their own free will, there will always be opposition to the idea

not to mention, a unified gov't would mean that we'd all be focused when aliens invade

*watches ID4*

We probably won't see a world government happening for hundreds of years. There's too much inequality and prejudice going on in the world right now for it to be feasible. You can always watch Startrek if you dream of a world government, 'The Federation of Planets' is even more than a one world government ;)

Say did you know that quite a lot of Apple hardware is made in China?

It would be great. When people think of one world government, they sometimes think of what Oryhara Says (Do you think that everyone is the same, should believe the same, worship the same god (or the state), be forced to live with opposing cultures that you cannot stand, and be dictated to by a government on the other side of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with you, or what you do / do not believe in?).

However, this isn't the way it has to be, if we only make laws that govern actual measurable harm (such as murder, rape, theft, robbery, etc.), and let countries (or provinces or states) decide local laws. With globalization taking more and more of a foothold in everyday life, with American corporations setting up their headquarters in other countries and vice versa, NOT having a one world government doesn't sound natural.

The main thing I'm thinking about here is when us as a species reaches for the stars, when we begin to colonize our solar system, do we want to claim it for humanity? Or do we want Callisto to belong to the United states, and titan to belong to Sweden, and the moon to belong to england? Do we really want that kind of future? If we go down that path, then we will be repeating history all over again.

So what do you think? Do you think that everyone is the same, should believe the same, worship the same god (or the state), be forced to live with opposing cultures that you cannot stand, and be dictated to by a government on the other side of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with you, or what you do / do not believe in?

Well, that is not what I have in mind at all.

What I have in mind is a bit like the United Nations with more power.

Or what we Europeans have done: 27 nations sharing a set of basic rules, but with each country being substantially independent (except for the countries who have joined the Euro, whose economic policy is not fully independent).

However it is not going to happen for any foreseeable future, because it would necessarily mean a fairer sharing of resources for all.

Well, that is not what I have in mind at all.

What I have in mind is a bit like the United Nations with more power.

Or what we Europeans have done: 27 nations sharing a set of basic rules, but with each country being substantially independent (except for the countries who have joined the Euro, whose economic policy is not fully independent).

However it is not going to happen for any foreseeable future, because it would necessarily mean a fairer sharing of resources for all.

This is exactly what I was envisioning (I get caught up too far in the future sometimes)

I'd like to see a goverment that actually did what the {censored} it said it was going to do, instead of lie, get elected, and do nothing for 4 years.

1 world government? Would you really put your life in the hands of the same guys who are running like, 6 billion other peoples lifes? No thanks. I like being diverse.

Maybe kind of a world union like Alessandro17 would work. To have like a proper government, would never work out. Think of it this way.

When your printer prints out a picture (black and white for simplicity) it is black and white (Assuming it can do only two colors). This BW pic is made up Gray areas. And these Grey ares are made up of small B & W dots.

The thing is, to the world council problems may seem simple. But as you go deeper and deeper you realize the actual truth. Plus governments would like to have their own freedom and their power. Would country leaders simply give up their power. I dont think thats ever gonna happen. Governments also have their own secrets and problems, which they would never wanna give up. Unless ofcourse, the world destroys itself and the new generation starts a one government type thing.

sounds like a fractal. But a lot of governments today are made up like this, including the EU, the US, and Canada. These all have a federal government and several individual state/provincial governments that work in concert. digging even deeper we have municipalities, counties, boroughs, townships, city councils, etc. that have elected mayors, council members, city managers, etc.

I find it strangely ironic in that historically the very thing that allowed the unity of so many people, Nationalism, is the very thing that now drives so many of us apart from international unity. Could it happen? Maybe. Will it happen? Probably not. Quite simply, we're far too diverse a people to be managed by a single central government. Even the EU has problems both economically and politically keeping its individual nations happy. Multiply that by a ton, and you have the difficulty of a world government.

Plus, there's no incentive for any nation to join it. As a leader, you'd lose your power, individuality, etc. It would just be bad. I want my traditions, culture, and laws. :P

I find it strangely ironic in that historically the very thing that allowed the unity of so many people, Nationalism, is the very thing that now drives so many of us apart from international unity. Could it happen? Maybe. Will it happen? Probably not. Quite simply, we're far too diverse a people to be managed by a single central government. Even the EU has problems both economically and politically keeping its individual nations happy. Multiply that by a ton, and you have the difficulty of a world government.

Plus, there's no incentive for any nation to join it. As a leader, you'd lose your power, individuality, etc. It would just be bad. I want my traditions, culture, and laws. :P

agreed

Plus, there's no incentive for any nation to join it. As a leader, you'd lose your power, individuality, etc. It would just be bad. I want my traditions, culture, and laws. :thumbsdown_anim:

The only reason why nationalism cant bring the whole world together is because everybody is brought together by hate. To borrow a quote from Charles De Gaul:

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. "

So you see, with this kind of philosophy (nationalism), the world will never be together.

It is possible, we're just selfish.

You say that no world leader would want to do it because they would be giving up their power....but leadership isn't about power, power is only a positive (arguably) byproduct, what leadership is really about is the best interests of those you represent. If you don't have the best interests of your people in mind, you shouldn't be leader :pirate2:

You say that no world leader would want to do it because they would be giving up their power....but leadership isn't about power, power is only a positive (arguably) byproduct, what leadership is really about is the best interests of those you represent. If you don't have the best interests of your people in mind, you shouldn't be leader happy.gif

Only if that were the case. Unfortunately in today's world, leaders aren't worried about helping their people, they're just worried about keeping their power. It's a rather sad state of affairs when considering it all.

But you're exactly right on the Nationalism bit. There are only two things that bring people together, a marriage, and hate. Although I'd find it incredibly humorous if all the leaders in the world had some massive polygamist marriage :D , it ain't happening. Therefore, the only way to unify people is through a common hate. The only way that that could be used to obtain worldwide unity, is if we find ourselves in a competition with another planet, i.e. extraterrestrials. While that likelihood is small, the continual push towards colonial expansion at Mars could eventually lead to a planetary like competition that could end with the byproduct of planetary unity.

Just possible, but only barely :rolleyes:.

It would be great. When people think of one world government, they sometimes think of what Oryhara Says (Do you think that everyone is the same, should believe the same, worship the same god (or the state), be forced to live with opposing cultures that you cannot stand, and be dictated to by a government on the other side of the world that has absolutely nothing to do with you, or what you do / do not believe in?).

However, this isn't the way it has to be, if we only make laws that govern actual measurable harm (such as murder, rape, theft, robbery, etc.), and let countries (or provinces or states) decide local laws. With globalization taking more and more of a foothold in everyday life, with American corporations setting up their headquarters in other countries and vice versa, NOT having a one world government doesn't sound natural.

The main thing I'm thinking about here is when us as a species reaches for the stars, when we begin to colonize our solar system, do we want to claim it for humanity? Or do we want Callisto to belong to the United states, and titan to belong to Sweden, and the moon to belong to england? Do we really want that kind of future? If we go down that path, then we will be repeating history all over again.

england cant own the moon - like ancient exploroers once a flag is down the land is claimed - in fact.... if i were the U.S. goverment when China, India, and Japan launch their lunar expolaration missions later this year and next year - i would call it spying on U.S. land :rolleyes:

Only if that were the case. Unfortunately in today's world, leaders aren't worried about helping their people, they're just worried about keeping their power. It's a rather sad state of affairs when considering it all.

But you're exactly right on the Nationalism bit. There are only two things that bring people together, a marriage, and hate. Although I'd find it incredibly humorous if all the leaders in the world had some massive polygamist marriage :D , it ain't happening. Therefore, the only way to unify people is through a common hate. The only way that that could be used to obtain worldwide unity, is if we find ourselves in a competition with another planet, i.e. extraterrestrials. While that likelihood is small, the continual push towards colonial expansion at Mars could eventually lead to a planetary like competition that could end with the byproduct of planetary unity.

Just possible, but only barely :rolleyes:.

it could have worked back in the day - monachies..... its how the Holy Roman Empire and Spain became one, How the 100 years war began, and oh so much more

------- or some really smart guy could just conquer us all, someone with the plans, the knoledge, and the followers, we need... Gengis Khan

The idea of it in today's climate is laughable.

The bigger the government the less it serves its people and the more its people serve it. Think of it a a cross between the United Nations and the DMV.

What's the problem? That sounds like an amazing government...jk hahah

Even if we assume a commonwealth of Utopia was somehow feasible, the burning question remains 'on which level'?

Governments pass and revise laws which are usually based on certain ideals and mentalities and which are historically grown. In a 'world union', whose laws would be applicable and make sense to everybody? To keep things coherent and to avoid drifting off into a new form of fascism there would have to be a consortium of bright heads from x countries to ponder over a common legislation. How long would that take? Will they finish before we've poisoned each other off the face of the earth? I doubt it.

Just a couple of very trivial examples - they have a very unshakable (and IMHO imbecile) law in Germany that prohibits opening shops on sundays, public holidays and at night. As Germany has quite a bit of economic power and 80 million inhabitants, now imagine the Germans pushing this law onto a global level. In Italy, Spain, France and a few others, everybody has to pay toll on motorways. Some people keep moaning about it but in general, everybody there is used to it. Imagine the British or especially the Americans respond to a new law which imposes motorway toll...

Once again, that's just simple stuff. Now try to translate that into really serious issues, like criminal law, police, civil law, you name it...

Different mentalities, different laws.

You can only boil everything down to a few common denominators. What would that be? Money? As usual?

... can you smell corruption too?