Screwed com.apple.boot.plist, how can I fix it?

ThePlague

9 posts in this topic

Hey I was editing my com.apple.boot.plist and apparantly I made a bad change in it. Now whenever I boot up it goes to the grey screen and says "please reboot". Sadly when I try to start in single user mode it wont get to where I can input

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

I booted from the CD but the "sudo", "nano" commands returns "command not found", why the terminal wont reconigze these commands, what text editor could I use?

thank you

I've been on this issue for weeks an no one is able to tell me why the "nano" command returns "command not found" when I launch the Terminal from the installation cd, come'on I know this is no match for your wisdom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
When you start your computer, keep hitting F8 to get to the Darwin boot screen, select your OS X partition but dont hit enter, type mach_kernel and then hit enter. It should load OS X even if com.apple.Boot.plist is incorrect.

that worked for me!! i was able to create user info, ect. and finally load up the desktop interface. BUT i got greedy and attempted to connect to the internet. I was unable to, ethernet didnt work, wireless card didnt' work. so i rebooted, froze on the black screen w/ white text screen so i had to hot shutdown and reload, had to do the mach_kernel msg like you stated, it started to boot up again, but then it just froze at the loading of endless text screen, don't know how/why either.

now i'm re-installing again for 12th time or so ;-)