Boots fine, then monitor switches off

CountRyan

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few days, and I must say that the forums have been of great help to me. I have now installed OS X 10.4.8 on my machine, and have got a dual-boot menu set up so I can choose between Vista and OS X.

My problem is that while I can get OS X to boot, it does not go further than this. After the Apple logo and spinning loading icon the monitor turns off. I had a feeling that this could have been to do with my graphics card, but others seem to have got similar systems running without issues.

My hardware spec. is:

Dell E196FPf monitor

RADEON X600 graphics card

1gb DDR2 RAM

3.2ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor

Thanks for any help you might be able to give :)

I have the same issue. The install goes fine, but when it's really booting the monitor switches off. I've tried multiple installs of different versions with every conceivable variation of install options, with the same effect.

My MB should be fine (Intel Bad Axe 2). My graphics card is an x1900GT with dual DVI ports, and I've tried plugging the monitor into both ports. Anybody have a clue?

I have the same problem on my system. Just got it installed on a separate hard drive last night, dual boots between xp and osx 10.8.4, gets the the boot up screen as described in the first post and monitor turns off. some specs below.

mobo- Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4

video cards- running in sli mode - nvidia geforce 6600gt

processor- AMD Athlon X2 4400 Toledo socket 939

memory- Kingston DDR 400 (PC 3200) 3gigs

monitor - Westinghouse 19" LCM-19w4

got two systems, one with ati 9600, and other with nvidia 6800gt

when they start up, the apple logo white screen screen shuts off too

but after around 1 minute maybe more, it turns back on and it works

any one try waiting longer?

ps: ati 9600 runs with no QE or CE, nvdia card runs ok with QE and CE

but after around 1 minute maybe more, it turns back on and it works

Thanks for the tip, but it does not work. ^_^ I left my computer standing for 5 minutes. I was almost certain it would not work as the HDD was not spinning after about 30 seconds.

Try booting in safe mode

How can I do this? The Apple logo comes up instantaneously after I select to enter it. There is no time for me to enter safe mode.

Thanks

I have the same graphics card (x600) i was getting desperate as well, then I went back and installed osx again. This time I did not select any add-ons and got to finally see mac os in action. What I did differently on the installation process was not select anything other than the first file (which is grayed out) and the one with sse3. Then it installed and let me access the os. Everything looks bad (graphics suck at this point). However you can try this and hopefully there will soon be a solution. I have yet to connect to the internet and find a way to get my graphics card to run at 1920x1200 :rolleyes:

Best bet is to try installing OS X with absolutely NO additional drivers other than what is necessary. This means only CPU stuff, and maybe SATA stuff if you need it to boot. Try to get into OS X this way, then work on getting some compatible drivers.