QE/CI/Rotation on AppleTV OSX Install!

HeavyMetaler

15 posts in this topic

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5171373 Looks like {censored} on putfile so if you want the full image

http://www.mediafire.com/?bezyfcjtidl or see attached

This is done using 10.4.8 Jas Install DVD to Media Partition of ATV using Semthex's 10.4.8 ATV kernel

Then Adding the following Kexts/Bundles/Plugins from a 10.4.9 install

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

GeForce.kext

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

and a custom version of Natit found below....

http://www.mediafire.com/?7dmljmiwoyz

And also Editing the NVDAResman.kext/Contents/Info.plist IOPCIMatch line to be

<string>0x01D710DE</string>

This boots up and QE/CI/Rotation all report fine. As well as all available resolutions in Resman.

To do this you need an understanding of Kexts/Permissions....Make sure all of the Contents/MacOS/xyz files in the above kexts are +x

My screenshot is taken from VNC because my tv will not display any of the resolutions properly. Others please try this to see if your tv works.

Credit Goes to Diab0lik for supplying this custom version of Natit. He will be making revisions to this version of Natit as well to find out if we can make further progress.

arodd/heavymetaler

post-382-1176025715_thumb.jpg

-=Further Information=-

HDMI/DVI Outputs a black screen. However it does output a resolution because the tv/lcd monitors I have tested on change display modes appropriately. Also after inactivity the monitor goes to sleep, and then moving the mouse changes the monitors display mode again. Something is just preventing the display from showing the OS.

Component Output works but will only output 4:3 Interlaced NTSC/PAL resolutions. No success with SwitchResX yet.

Once the resolution is applied it will also change the resolution on all other boots to any partition including atvos. The best case is to boot to atvos and set the appropriate resolution and then bless to the OSX install.

Using the plugins/bundles from the ATVOS /System/Library/Extensions/ folder disables QE/CI/Rotation so it seems 10.4.9 kexts are working best. 10.4.8 kexts provide close to the same results.

The difference between the 4.8/4.9 kexts is this....

4.9= DVI/HDMI output to an HDTV shows up properly as a television and allows setting overscan/HD resolutions

4.8= DVI/HDMI output to an HDTV shows up as a normal digital panel and doesn't allow overscan/Has less resolutions.

Component didn't seem to be any different between 4.8/4.9 It shows up as a Television no matter what is connected to it.

Removing Natit from the equation provides the same results except the Card is detected properly(even without natit) and QE/CI/Rotation are still enabled.

Adding MacVidiaEFI kext shows similar results as Natit. Doesn't seem to be any better/worse through all of the equations.

Prasys thinks the black screen is caused by a lack of a proper framebuffer driver. This may be the case if Component doesn't use the framebuffer because the component output works.

Some of the problems in this thread seem to be similar http://www.macvidia.com/index.php?option=c...;topic=1031.390

Being as this is a laptop chipset alot of the issues show a strong similarity.

Someone should try MacVidiaEFI in combination with the Laptop Kext from Macvidia to see if this will activate the DVI/HDMI screen.

Since this is a laptop chipset the display may just be inactive. Almost identical to when you hold play in ATV os and the graphics shut off but the device stays running. It still outputs the resolution to the tv/monitor it's just blacked out.

Maybe it sends an acpi lid closed message to the graphics driver.

-=Further Information=-

HDMI/DVI Outputs a black screen. However it does output a resolution because the tv/lcd monitors I have tested on change display modes appropriately. Also after inactivity the monitor goes to sleep, and then moving the mouse changes the monitors display mode again. Something is just preventing the display from showing the OS.

I tried this and had the same issue. I simply yanked the cable from the back of the Atv, waited a sec, then reconnected and volia, there was my 1280x1024 display. I'm using a HDMI->DVI adapter connecting to a Dell 1800FP (19" LCD).

From there I verified that CI and QE were enabled and am currently running MythTV doing PIP from a 2-tuner mythbackend using about 40% of the ATV cpu. (myth .21 SVN from about 4/3/2007)

I tried this and had the same issue. I simply yanked the cable from the back of the Atv, waited a sec, then reconnected and volia, there was my 1280x1024 display. I'm using a HDMI->DVI adapter connecting to a Dell 1800FP (19" LCD).

From there I verified that CI and QE were enabled and am currently running MythTV doing PIP from a 2-tuner mythbackend using about 40% of the ATV cpu. (myth .21 SVN from about 4/3/2007)

When did you yank the cable, after the black screen? That didn't work for me (2407fpw HDMI->DVI)

yeah, I verified that the system was up and working/running/etc by connecting in via ssh. Then I pulled the hdmi, waited for the screen to loose sync, then re-inserted and about 20seconds later I had video. I've done it twice now and it worked both times, but I haven't tried any other displays.

I got this working with a regular 10.4 install, software update to 10.4.9. Semthext kernel. The stock NVDkexts booted up but had a black screen with my Acer 22" monitor. Went away for 20 minutes. Came bake and everything was fine.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So guys, whats the status of ATV OSX?

* What Version is running (10.4.11, 10.5.3)?

* What kexts enable qe/ci (natit, patched stock kexts)?

* Is there sound, how?

* Is it possible to change resolutions to 1360x768?

* Is hdmi output with that resolution supported?

* What's about that qe/ci black screen/framebuffer bug?

Any new breakthroughs?

I tried to get kalyway 10.5.3 running, but I didn't even got to the gui. Though someone over at the awkwardtv forum claimed to have a running kalyway install on his appletv with qe/ci and sound: http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1157.

ash

• 3 months later...

I cant find any working link to the custom NATIT installer, so I tried the Titan installer and filled in the IOPCIMATCH portion into the kext as instructed. I get a purple screen from the component output, and a GREAT crystal clear screen from the HDMI for about 5-8 seconds then it flickers, comes back for 1-2 seconds, and vanishes - I pull the HDMI out to kill the sync, plug it back in, it repeats this cycle. Could someone PLEASE send me the required NATIT installer (or post an updated link) and give me a heads up on what I need to do to make this work? I have been working on this project for 3 months now and Id REALLY like to make it work... this is the last issue I have.

Korrupted - I am running 10.4.11, thats what I originally installed. What problems are you having? I used the XxX disc with the SSE2 kernels selected, but had to copy the IOUSBFamily.kext from my working desktop and clear the kext cache files to make the USB work