SUCCESS! Dual Booting ATV/OSX with Internal Drive

HeavyMetaler

7 posts in this topic

I've got OSX dual booting by installing OSX to the media partition and it works great. It doesn't interfere with ATV OS

I essentially Installed a fresh copy of osx to a 3.5" hard-drive(hackint0sh). Then popped in the ATV drive to my pc along with the fresh install. Then used Disk Utility to recover the osx partition from the 3.5" to the Media partition making sure to not reformat/erase partition. It will coexist with the Media/Scratch folders on the 4th partition.

Setup the usual mach_kernel/boot.efi mod using semthex's kernel and the guide from appletvhacks.net.

Then Bless with

bless --folder=/mnt/System/Library/CoreServices --file=/mnt/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi --setBoot --nextonly

This will tell it to use the boot.efi file from the media partition and boot osx, but only on the next reboot....

I wrote a script that does the bless command and then reboots automatically

Now all we need is someone to write a plugin to call a script to bless and reboot so we can do it from the atv menu and not have to use ssh.

To get back to ATV OS you would just need to reboot.

Another Interesting thing I found was my AppleTV has a 1.5ghz i'm going to run some xbenches to confirm that it's actually performing at this.

Screenshot....

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5168212

=arodd/HeavyMetaler=

He hadn't copied the correct boot.efi file into the OSX install on the media partition.

From ATV SSH

ls -al /mnt/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 298800 Apr 6 14:07 /mnt/Sysetm/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

Check that your size is also 298800.

Copy it from the OSBoot partition.

Also From ATV SSH

sudo cp /Volumes/OSBoot/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /mnt/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi