Mbox & Tools LE on OSx86

DrSupachicken

22 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an M-Audio Fast Track USB. In my Hacktinsosh, I have instakked a Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1, and Pro Tools LE, and it can't detect Fast Track. Say that I don't have a DigiDesign Hardware.

litiger, Like you have cause that works?

I use PT 7.3.1cs1 eith an old M-Box on an hackintosh with 10.4.8. All works properly without troubles. Usually I record with a MacBookPro and a 002, then I put the session on an external HD and go to mix in my studio where I have my hackintosh with the M-Box. No problems at all, and the plugs 'm able to use on my Dual Core 2.8 are pretty the same I use on yhe MacBook pro Core 2 duo....

I've got Pro Tools LE 7.3 running great on my OSX86 10.4.7 machine right now. My interface is an Mbox 2 mini. I had a few USB issues in the beginning but I reinstalled the driver from the Apple developer site and everything has worked great since then. Hope this helps.

Henry

Hello.

I have a problem with a mbox 1.

I have some little crack and click. I updated the firmware.

When i bounce, there is no problem, only in read mode.

I tried my config with a DIGI002 and evreything work.

I think, it's a problem with the USB.

I tried all the port with no success.

Im in 10.4.8, i try the 10.4.9 with a patch but nothing work.

If anybody have an idea.

(I'm sorry for my english, i'm french)

(I {censored} our new president !)

• 1 month later...

Absolutely Perfect!!! Was having real issues trying to find a system that would run Pro Tools LE 7.3.1 and Uphuck's 1.3 did it first time.... totally flies too compared with Jas 10.4.8. Sleep and Display detect both work even with Natit Dual 0.2 which never worked before.

Here are the options i used:

10.4.9 Intel

Intel SSE3-2 Kernal

Natit Dual 0.2

Azalia Audio

Had to change the device ID in AppleYukon.kext to get the Yukon 8056 to work but that was it!

Thanks a million to Uphuck for the most amazing release yet........

P.S. This is using MBox 2 USB but has also been working with Digi 002

• 2 weeks later...

i have an MBOX2 working with 7.3 of the "Green Monster" site. I had to go back to 10.4.8 and re-install 7.3 ub and cs update. after that all works great!!! :gun:

Hey Guys,

I'm finally up and running on OSx86 and it's awesome! I'm very happy with things.

My system is listed in the specs and it runs really nice, using the Mbox for all of my sound as I haven't figured out onboard as of yet.

ProTools runs very nicely, just as snapy as the G5 at the studio, so I'm looking forward to pushing it with maxed out ram and a new gcard.

Digital Performer works very nicely and so does Reason.

Very happy.

Next venture, will probally be a node setup using a macbook plus powerful ihack:)

Man get Logic 7! Runs awesome and sounds great on a Mac! I recorded a full album with Pro Tools LE 7 on a PC then switched to Mac, and got Logic with an M-Audio firewire interface and boy, the sound quality - incredible difference! Logic makes far better use of the PowerPC chip on a Mac - it's made by Apple for Apple! Make the switch you'll be glad - the only downside i have found in using Logic is the rewire - a breeze in Pro Tools but pretty in depth in Logic...other than that your Mac will love running Logic.

Hi Mate,

Yeah, I have Logic and like it alot.

I find rewire is much of a muchness, have you got the settings correct in Logic and Re-Wire enabled?

Anyways, now I am saving up for an Apogee audio interface. They don't come any better then that, but I'll be saving for a bit:)

Yes,

I had to create a whole new environment layer and create audio objects and what not, finally got it and guess what...you couldn't actually record the audio to a track! I was rewiring Reason and had to play the Logic session while recording the Reason track to Reason, bounce then import to Logic, fabulous results but a little in depth...

Is your prospective interface firewire? I want to get the new 8 input Alesis firewire...hopefully you get yours soon! Keep it posting

Hey...I didn't know this was a site for a hacked version of Mac OSX! Why don't you guys just spend the extra money and get a real Mac! I've heard there are many troubles down the road for running this version...it's like putting BMW parts on a Ford, it will still be a Ford and {censored} out eventually! Macs have the superior hardware that lasts eons compared with PCs that are built to get you by for a while...just get an Apple dudes!

Hey Macuser1977,

Yeah macs are great but they are built from the same gear PCs. The only difference is that Macs use the very most premium parts.

You should do some more research!

My OSx86 box costs less then $500 and it makes the g5 from the studio I use look sluggish!

Yes this is true Macs use Ram, graphics cards, optical drives, hard drives and peripherals like a PC but that is where the similarities end...it's the architecture, logic board and - as you said the premium parts, which equates to longevity of use. 500 dollar machine will last you for 500 hundred dollars of time...and Macs logic board, which you can't put into a PC, is designed to use Unix, which is what OS X is built on, along with Darwin, to make maximum use out of all the hardware attached to it, meaning optimum efficiency and longer life...these are simply the facts. And not to mention you can't do software upgrades with OSx86 and the legal ramifications if discovered are to be noted. I am not a Mac purist, I switched from PC a year ago, so I know Windows and Mac are like apples and oranges, different flavors but sort of do the same thing. And is your a G5 a dual core? And what about the ram, bus speed, and processor speed? I can honestly say that my PowerBook G4 800 is keeping up with my old P4 2.8, same Ram. It's all about the layout of the Logic Board and the OS, sure the PC P4 was very fast but unstable as water compared to the Apple. Again a keyword - RELIABILITY - let's see how you're Hacintosh runs in 5 years with that same setup - oh yeah and the time involved in all this hacking - time is money! And to upgrade from that...oh boy! Well enjoy making an imitation Mac, us real Mac users will just keep right on trucking...again not to slam anyone I'm sure it's fun making a PC that runs a great OS, but are the savngs really woth it?

Sincerely...

Your case, while a valid argument, is the same thing as trying to convince a conservative to vote liberal and a liberal to vote conservative--everyone has their preference.

You can build a PC with premium parts as well. The beauty, however, is that you don't need to. With a Mac, you're extremely limited in components and peripherals, and unlike building from scratch, you usually aren't aware of everything that's going into your box; all you're doing is hitting the "customize my mac" button on the website. And I wouldn't call all their parts "premium". Expense on something is extremely 

subjective. Plus, if something breaks down, it's a BIIIIIIG deal. $500 for a harddrive??? And have you ever been to the Apple Store? You need to MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to see Tech Support. And the high price for Macs isn't due to "premium parts"--it's due to the fact that they don't have a strong consumer base in their desktop and laptop markets. Why do you think they have all those commercials? Apple constantly struggles. And the longer they keep their prices high and don't take a risk, the longer it will be that way.

Don't get me wrong--I am a user of both platforms, but I can honestly say the main difference between the two is the operating system. It urks me so much to see those commercials on TV where they pull the whole "It's easier on a mac" and such and go off on how horrible PC's are. Yes, Windows, while an internationally well-known consumer operating system has many loopholes; mainly the fact that it's continually built on Win32 architecture. That's why it will always be vulnerable to viruses. But have you ever used Lindows? Ubuntu? I've never had a single virus in Ubuntu. And it's an operating system for PC's. The architecture is different. I can honestly

say it's just as reliable and user-friendly as an Mac OS I've used.

Like I said, I use both platforms. If I have the option of using a great operating system on great components that will cost me almost $1200 less than if I went out and purchased a Mac, then so be it. I love Mac OSX, so I'm all for OSx86.

like the saying goes " Fighting with you is like running in the special olympics, you may win the dam race but in the end you are still a retard" :) heheh...

not directing this to any one ok.

but honestly if we COULD afford a REAL MAC believe me we would have one! Who here wouldnt love a quad core or even an 8 core monster! The truth of the matter is that its just really fun to build a system from scratch and have osx running on it.

so i agree, IF you have a REAL recording studio by all means get a real mac, but if you have a project/home studio and a litttle time, money and patience, build your own box.

long live os x. :)

Yes I suppose this is true, MAC OS isn't the only good system out there, there are surely great other systems, and there is also good hardware that would probably give Apple a run for the money; I suppose the greatest attraction to a Mac is the "out of the box" usability for computer illiterate people, for those who don't know squat about PCs Macs are great because you don't have hardly connect anything, just turn it on and bam you're going - again I believe, and always have, that Macs are great choices for women and children, I was actually suprised when I hear they were the platform of choice for graphics designers and music studios, I always thought they were a "child's computer" and so here you have it i guess...for those who just want to turn it on and get busy Mac always has the upper hand...right?