Broadcomm 4312 ..Driver Issue working on first boot only

4 posts in this topic

I'm using an Atheros on 10.4.8 and the same thing happened to me -- worked fine (after a bit of tweaking) and now it won't come back after a reboot. I tried to reload the kext and got the error:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)

So I fixed permissions and got the error:

16AirPort_Athr5424 is not compatible with its superclass, 17IO80211Controller superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension AirPortAtheros5424.kext/

load failed for extension AirPortAtheros5424.kext/

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Arrgh! I did the en0 to en1 thing and that stayed the same.... Hang on, let me make sure. Yeah, in the Network Preferences plist the numbering is fine, but no dice. This time, actually, I restarted to check it out and I didn't get an error about permissions when I tried to reload the kext, but I did get the same not compatible error.

I used the IO80211Family.kext that I got from another thread here because for some reason Pacifist wasn't working on my laptop. Could I possibly try to do it again on my regular computer (iMac) and use the original install DVDs that the iMac came with to get the kext? Or do I have to use a patched version? Anyway, I used that kext and the wireless driver.zip I found on another thread and lo and behold it worked.... Until I rebooted. Now I can't even do the same things I did before! I tried to reinstall the kext and reload it, but that gave me a bus error (that's all it said, even with -t) and since then all I've been getting is the above error message.

I'd appreciate any help I can get, but until someone replies I'll continue to do what I've been doing -- lots and lots of searching. I sure love tabbed browsing!!!! At one point yesterday (after I was on a high from getting wireless to work!!!), I closed a Firefox window and it warned me that I had 33 open windows! Yeah, it was that kind of day -- and it looks like it will be again today!

Thanks in advance,

Liz

Well I did it again..... I reinstalled the OS just to get everything clean and see if I couldn't recreate the entire scenario. I couldnt get wireless to work at all. I wish I'd written down what all I did yesterday! I can't find the NetworkPreferences.plist that other posts say to edit. I got the same issues of permissions followed by incompatibility.

I don't know why it worked and now it doesn't work and it's driving me bonkers. I've been doing this all day, yet again. I just hope it's something easy!

Also, doing ioreg doesn't show any AirPort anything and no wireless cards. Is this normal? Oh yeah, I installed an AirportExpress update and then I was able to see an ethernet connection (grayed out, though). But it felt like I was getting somewhere! I remember then yesterday I was able to edit some file somewhere and change the en0 to en1 and then I could see both ethernet and airport.

I'm perplexed and I hope someone has a few spare minutes to help. I can get any diagnostic info that is needed, I just wasn't sure what. Help!