Stuck at Boot Screen

Takkuso

12 posts in this topic

I'd been using the instructions given at http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/...l-installation/ to install OSX.

I'm using an HP Media Center Computer,

Intel Pentium D 3.00GHz, 3.00Ghz, 1 GB of RAM

Radeon X300 Video Card

Not sure what else hardware to list.. Running XP

But when I try to boot OSX, it hangs on a screen that looks like this: Screenshot

Any hints? Thanks.

Let me know if I need to post any extra info.

Check if your hard drive is in MASTER mode (check the jumper)

If yes >

Try to start with the command :

platform=X86PC

or

platform=ACPI

if it doesn't work, try

-v

This is the verbose mode, try to write down any suspicious error message and give me a report here.

You can also try

-x

This is the safe boot mode.

Check if your hard drive is in MASTER mode (check the jumper)

If yes >

Try to start with the command :

platform=X86PC

or

platform=ACPI

if it doesn't work, try

-v

This is the verbose mode, try to write down any suspicious error message and give me a report here.

You can also try

-x

This is the safe boot mode.

As far as I can tell, safe mode nor the platform commands work.

-v gave me a few things I didn't understand that could be bad?

Keep in mind I have no idea what any of it meant, but these didn't sounds good

BSM auditing present

disabled

From path: "mach_kernel", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOMedia</string><key>Content</key><string ID="2">Apple_HFS</string></dict>

ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on keyboard input stream.

Extension "com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass" has no kernel dependancy.

And when I let it sit there (while I was copying errors) it kept popping up "Still waiting for root device" every 30 seconds or so.

By the way, I was just assuming to be doing this right, but when I was typing in these -x, -v and platform commands, I was doing it under "tiger-x86"...

At the first startup screen, I choose Mac OS X. It then gives me this screen:

hd(0,1) No Name

hd(0,2) HP_Pavillion

hd(0,3) tiger-x86

hd(0,4) Apple HFS

1 and 2 both say "start foreign OS". (2 puts me back at the original screen to pick XP or Mac OS X.

I'd been doing all my stuff with 3.

when I try and do anything with 4, it says "System config file '\Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

Does that help you any?

Thanks everyone!

I don't understand why you have 2 partitions devoted to tiger.

Did you installed it on hd(0,3) tiger-x86 ?

From path: "mach_kernel", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key> IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOMedia</string><key>Content</key><string ID="2">Apple_HFS</string></dict>

Your problem is here.

The boot sequence thinks that your sys is in "hd(0,4) Apple HFS" partition and waits for it.

Possible solution is format it (if it's empty or no system is installed in it).

The two partitions were outlined in the instructions I was given. I said the first partition could only be a certain size, so to install it to the small one, then install it to the bigger one or some such procedure. But as far as I could tell, what I did was copy, using dd, the tiger-x86-flat.img to partition3 (I'm assuming that is (0,3) yes?).

How can I format (0,4)? Should I try using dd to copy the img to that partition and see if that works?

I don't know if this is any help, I just noticed when I opened PartitionMagic to look at some things, that I have four partitions, C,D, And the two I created. The small one and big one that I made using the cmd box are both full. It says there is no free space of either (They are 6,667MB and 83,337MB respectivly) What does that mean?

Ahh. I found if I use PartitionMagic to create partitions rather than the cmd box as outlined in Andrew Escobar's instructions, I can format the partition to FAT, FAT32, NTFS, LinuxEx2, LinuxEx3, LinuxSwap, or unformated. Will any of those help me boot correctly when I copy using dd to the partition?

Like i previously told you, your partition (0,4) should not be in Apple_hfs format because the boot sequence is confused and wait for this partition to be ready to boot.

So it doesn't matter which format is used.

You can use Fat32 which is accessible on both Operating System.

Alright. I tried another instruction set, using just one extra partition. This one was formatted to Tiger-x86, not Apple_hfs, but it still won't boot. Again, giving the same loading screen with the "no" symbol in front of it. Any suggestions? My friend is bringing over an extra harddrive to install tigerx86 on, hoping that will unconfuse my computer a little more.

Other than that, any tips I could use?

Thanks