AMD - kernel_task Issue

Spart

6 posts in this topic

I have had an issue with my AMD Hackintosh (specs in the sig) since the first time I installed JaS 10.4.8: kernel_task is always at 20%.

I never could find any information about this issue, as most of the time kernel_task is at nearly 100% and it is due to settings in the BIOS like dynamic overclocking, or a poorly clocked processor. I tried messing with everything I could think of to no avail: kernel_task stayed at 20%.

Recently I updated with every security update available, and in the process switched my boot flag to -v so as to better watch for errors during boot.

One thing that I noticed that never caught my eye before was this:

ACPI: Button driver prevents system sleep.

My system also hadn't been sleeping quite properly, it would shut down the hard drives and network connections but that was about it. So I decided to give a shot at fixing that.

I dug around in AppleACPIPlatform.kext and found the culprit: AppleACPIButtons.kext

To get rid of this little guy, do the following in single user mode:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

mv AppleACPIButtons.kext AppleACPIButtons.kext.bak

cd /System/Library/

rm Extensions.kextcache

rm Extensions.mcache

reboot

My OS X is now purring along even smoother, sleep works very well now, and as a semi-random side-effect, kernel_task stays at a meek 2%.

Let me add some confusion to this:

I've been playing around with ApplePS2Controller.kext, both the version installed from my install CD (in the sig) and a couple versions I have found on here.

I always keep a PS2 keyboard plugged in because my BIOS hates USB keyboards, they will work perhaps 20% of the time.

So:

ApplePS2Controller.kext installed, keyboard plugged in: kernel_task is constantly at ~20% CPU.

ApplePS2Controller.kext removed, keyboard plugged in: kernel_task is constantly at ~1-2% CPU.

Hmm.

I don't personally need my PS2 keyboard working in X, I hate the thing and it pales in comparison to my age-old MacAlly iKey from days long past...which is the best keyboard that I've ever owned.

That said, I do have a friend who will have a similar hardware setup to mine who really wants his PS2 keyboard working in OSx86, so I am going to continue looking for a fix.

Any ideas?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have an AMD desktop that has the error message at bootup: "ACPI: Button Driver prevents system sleep"

I deleted AppleACPIButtons.kext from within the AppleACPIPlatform kext, and the system became unable to fully boot. I had to put it back.

Anyone know of anything else to try, or how I might have gone wrong?