InsanelyMac Forum
VooD

Protools HD PCI kinda working :)

Well, I guess not many people is going to try this, but yesterday I installed a Protools HD Core card on a hackintosh and surprisinly got recognized by Os X after installing the drivers.

This is pretty weird since there is no Intel Macs with pci interfaces and so Digidesign shouldn´t have compiled PCI support in the Intel version of the drivers.

The bad part is I had no audio interface at that moment and couldn´t completly test Protools 7 running, but I will in the next days.

It may work...but given Protools uses a such low-level hardware approach to process audio I´m not too confident about, and in addition to this maybe the drivers have endianess problems.

More news, next week. :)

Advertisement

Cool Very good news.

I've tryed to install it with OSX 10 4 8 With no success.

Only the 10 4 6 Wok for me.

What is you're PC And You're OSX 10 4 X?

Thanks

safnight

Yep, 10.4.8 with lastest semthex kernel, I have´nt been able to test audio yet, I just have the core card at the moment, but you can see the systems recognizes the card, and protools pass the "Hardware Check" when you load it.

The PC is a Carrillon AC1D but with different specs (don´t know why). It haves a Intel 945 board, a cheap Radeon x550 (no qi ce :/ ) and a couple of sata disks.

About you, you say you have already tested Protools HD with real hardware in 10.4.6, and worked?

Regards.

Thanks,

Yes it works for me. I have PT HD 2 With 196 I/O.

All it work fines.( without my graphique card: ATI RAdeon X 3OO) No Pb with the 10 4 6.

( In 10 4 8 Pro tools crash : error DSi and Digidesign core audio crash to

and i don't know why :) )

Hope it help U.

:)

Safnight

Finally I got the chance to test audio and yep, worked for me.

No problem at all.

Digidesign loves hackintoshes lol.

I never thought a Protools HD Core card would work on a hackintosh.

It´s a PCI card. As I said is incredible this works, as there´s no real intel mac with PCI slots.

Cool, I hope they support their M-AUDIO cards as well but they seem to not care anymore about M-audio :wacko:

It´s a PCI card. As I said is incredible this works, as there´s no real intel mac with PCI slots.

HI VooD

Could U tel me what exactely osx DVD u installed?

For me 10 4 8 don't work :wacko:

thanks

Safnifgt

I used JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p.diskutility7.iso. You can download it from demonoid, in addition to a more recent version with ichr7 patch applied.

Mine has 073eb015d77bbf5e4a97d0d37ceb3855 MD5.

I have HD3 working with 10.4.7 with IOPCIFamily kext from 10.4.4

Still can't make it work with 10.4.8 (tried different kernels) :thumbsup_anim:

It seems that PCI cards can not be detected by OS

Mmmm, the Protools HD Core card I tested didn´t show at PCI section in System Profile, (even after installing the drivers) but the card itself works perfectly once you install them. Also I can use a pci firewire card without any trouble in 10.4.8.

Maybe is a chipset/hardware specific problem.

But do you have any of pci cards shown as presenting in System Profiler? Or there's smth like "No Pci cards installed in you system" ?

Hi all

does anyone of you has tried with a PT HD Accell PCI-X version ?

do you have PCI or PCI-X version ?

do you think i have any chance to get it working on a hackintosh ? i would like to save big $$ avoiding the crossgrade to pcie

thanks for any advice

Hi all

does anyone of you has tried with a PT HD Accell PCI-X version ?

do you have PCI or PCI-X version ?

do you think i have any chance to get it working on a hackintosh ? i would like to save big $$ avoiding the crossgrade to pcie

thanks for any advice

I'm trying to run PCI-X cards on my GA-EP45C-UD3R board without any success in OS X 10.6. Vista SP1 works fine, but I can't get it to run under OS X.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to run PT under Windows, but I would lose a TON of Mac only plug-ins that would cost quite a bit of money to replace.

Anyone have any advice on getting the PCI cards recognized? Anyone have any success in 10.6? I know the card is getting power, as my 196 changes to green when the PC is powered on. It's just that OS X is not seeing the card.

Help please!

I'm trying to run PCI-X cards on my GA-EP45C-UD3R board without any success in OS X 10.6. Vista SP1 works fine, but I can't get it to run under OS X.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to run PT under Windows, but I would lose a TON of Mac only plug-ins that would cost quite a bit of money to replace.

Anyone have any advice on getting the PCI cards recognized? Anyone have any success in 10.6? I know the card is getting power, as my 196 changes to green when the PC is powered on. It's just that OS X is not seeing the card.

Help please!

GA-EP45C-UD3R does not have any PCI-x slots so i presume you have PT HD PCI not PCI-x.

By the way have you tried in Leopard and maybe with both pro-tools 7 and 8?

Also hackintosh install should be done with Vanilla kernel to maximize compatibility

Anyone with a working PCI-X hackintosh configuration ?!?

GA-EP45C-UD3R does not have any PCI-x slots so i presume you have PT HD PCI not PCI-x.

By the way have you tried in Leopard and maybe with both pro-tools 7 and 8?

Also hackintosh install should be done with Vanilla kernel to maximize compatibility

Anyone with a working PCI-X hackintosh configuration ?!?

The PCI-X cards work fine in PCI slots. Although, I have an HD3 Accel system, and the board will only hold 2 of the cards (there is a heatsink in the way at the end of one of the PCI slots).

I'm using a vanilla kernel.

I have tried PT 7, but only under Snow Leopard. No dice.

I did eventually get Snow Leopard and Pro Tools 8.0.3pr running, but it's pretty sketchy. I'm not sure if it's PT or my install; too many variables at this point. I'll have to wait for the official Snow Leopard release of Pro Tools to do more testing.