MacDrive 7 Officially Released

44 posts in this topic

Mediafour's MacDrive 7 has officially left Beta status and has been released to the masses.

This version includes, amongst other things, full compatibility with Windows Vista, providing full access to HFS and HFS+ volumes from within Vista, XP and 2003 Server.

I have just received my review copy from the lovely people at Mediafour, so look forward to the full review later this week on InsanelyMac!

Download Trial

Well, I hope MD7 will work better than the latest version of MD6 on my XP (SP2). Since the last update in MD6 my OSX-partition was regocnized as DVD-Drive. I had the iTunes library from the OSX-HD connected to iTunes under XP, this thing worked fine - for a while until November. Since their I have become more and more problems with my HackMac - in February iTunes was stopping to work with my Mac-formated iPod. Really annoying.

I'm was waiting for MD7 a will give it a try. Hope it's worth buying...but I think it will be.

It's working great. It now runs side-by-side with Daemon Tools without any conflicts. I've gone through my Mac HD in Vista and deleted some files from my desktop folder that I forgot to clear. This morning I booted into OS X, and everything worked out perfectly. The files I deleted were the only things changed on the disc, with no corruption.

I got a free activation key! I had submitted a bug report a while back on the first beta, and they sent me an email in the last couple days with a free key "as a thanks" or whatever.

Eric--

MacDrive 7 has shipped and you helped!

To show our appreciation we'd like to give you a free copy of the

software and a serial number for one activation.

It's very important that you uninstall the version you currently have

installed, reboot, and then install the new version.

You can download MacDrive 7 using this link:

http://download.mediafour.com/macdrive/mac....2_en_setup.exe

Your Serial Number is: XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX-XXX (removed, obviously)

Thanks again for your help and feedback.

Best regards

Rick Powell

Mediafour

I feel special now. ;)

The funny thing is, it seems overly generous. The "bug" i reported was a spelling mistake... said "heirarchy" instaead of "hierarchy" when checking a Mac volume.

And suddenly an error which would take ten seconds to fix scores me a free copy of MacDrive. I'm not complaining, but I wonder who decided that bug reporters get a free copy. :blink:

.. in your case: an overwhelmed illiterate .. :)

:thumbsup_anim::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Man... the guy is generous, and finishes beying joked?

Lol, its nice that they give copys to betas.... it generates a relation with the client, and makes us want to help some more. (also recognizes the tester effort to help)

But ok, ok, it was a good joke

Yay - I got a free copy too!

I reported a bug where I was getting random blue screens every 5 minutes and my hard drive seemed to be continuously active with macdrive.exe running. All I had to do was send them a system report using their utility... Quite easy work for a $50 product. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember there was an old app called HFSexplorer I used back when playing around with PearPC. Not sure if it's still around, but from what I recall, that should do the job. For your purposes it should be fine, seeing as there's no write support at the moment.

I remember there was an old app called HFSexplorer I used back when playing around with PearPC. Not sure if it's still around, but from what I recall, that should do the job. For your purposes it should be fine, seeing as there's no write support at the moment.

This app should be ok, 'cause I don't need write support - but I tried to run it in Vista without success. Even in Win XP compatibility.

Pro: Works very good. Tested on vista on my macbook pro.

Contrassssss: I'm really angry, i've paid for a software that i cant use.. now, because im having problems with FLASH and well previously i got problems with my iSight, etc, on vista, i've decided to go back to windows xp, and wait.. Now, after installed my WinXP OEM, when tryed to install MacDrive 7, it just dont letme activate it, saying its already activated on another machine and i need to buy another license. It's ridiculous, even more ridiculous than what microsoft is doing with Windows Activation. Im supper angry and i just wrote an email to them. Why they dont create a system olike iTunes Store? where you have 5 authorizations? well, only 1 is ok, but you can go to the website and deauthorize then authorize on when you reinstall MacDrive or Windows.. this is so stupid....

Just wanted to comment...

• 1 month later...

I am wondering, for those that have been using this for a while now...

any problems, at all?

I am considering dual booting vista/osX. OsX install would have a dedicated HDD, as would Vista install (on NTFS, of course). Then I would make all my other internal HDDs HFS+ formatted. That way, thanks to MacDrive, I can access all my files between either OS. I would be doing a lot in both windows and Mac, such as video editing, and storing all those files on the HFS+ drives whether through windows or mac.

Should this be a safe and stable solution?

Hi, well, on my case, when i've asked them about the activation problems, their response was:

"I apologize for any confusion. MacDrive will lose its activated status if substantial changes are made to your PC (i.e. reinstalling Windows or activating Windows). I have enabled your serial number to be activated again."

After this it was activated; but, still, every change i do, i need to ask them for enable my serial number... crazy...

In the other hand; MacDrive 7 (with latest patches), in my experience, is not too much stable on Windows Vista. I had some problems trying to, for example, execute installers (vista says the file cannot be executed), and you need to put into another drive to execute that installer... And well some experiences like this, saving for example a file i am editing in, let say Dreamweaver; it keep saying that the file was changed outside...

But, what can i say as good things is that it works, is fast (you can even work with video), and well you can read/write all macs drives.

If you askme if it worth the buy? i say YES it does, becasue "THERE'S NO OTHER SOLUTION AROUND", but if there were "I WOULD PREFER TO TRY THE OTHER VERSION FIRST" :)

Grettings.

Roberto.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...