Ghost image from VMWare image

bluedragon1971

14 posts in this topic

Just wanted people to know that if you look around the newsgroups a little, you will find a Ghost 2003 image of OSx86 that I created from the VMWare patched image.  Hint, it's the same newsgroup that I downloaded the VMWare image from in the first place :rolleyes:

I checked your posts and didnt see any that would help me find the answer to your hint. If I was going to create a file image with ghost what would be a good name..?

Just wanted people to know that if you look around the newsgroups a little, you will find a Ghost 2003 image of OSx86 that I created from the VMWare patched image.  Hint, it's the same newsgroup that I downloaded the VMWare image from in the first place <_<

I got the ghost image and loaded it onto a hard drive using ghost32 from my bootable Symantec Livestate Recovery v3 CD.

Moving it to the boot drive position a screen comes up with an apple but it stops with a circle and a line through it. Starting in verbose mode it says a lot of stuff including timed out on mouse and ends up with a message that it is waiting for the OS disk.

Any ideas?

For the files Try searching on

http://www.binsearch.info/

for "OSX-X86-ghost" for the last 2 weeks.

Sorry, im new with VMWARE. Once the gost has restored the vmware image, do you just open it with VMWARE or are some other steps needed?

I download the image from the newsgroups and it said read the "0" file. But thier isn't one or an NFO. So Bluedragon can you elaborate here?

Thanks!

Sorry, im new with VMWARE.  Once the gost has restored the vmware image, do you just open it with VMWARE or are some other steps needed?

I download the image from the newsgroups and it said read the "0" file.  But thier isn't one or an NFO.  So Bluedragon can you elaborate here?

Thanks!

Hopefully BlueDragon will respond. In the meantime, I think the image is meant to be run native but maybe it can be run in vmware? Anyway I ghosted the image onto a hard drive (It just missed fiting on my 6GB drive so I put it on a 30GB drive). I had to ghost it onto the HDD from a bootable copy of ghost32 because when done from windows it said the blank HDD was in use. Presumably some kind of windows protection/restore feature ties it up in windows. Windows explorer can't see the ghosted image at all. But Partition Magic 8 saw the partition (about 6.5 GB) which it called AF System. I'm guessing this is Apple File System (AFS). I also tried to look at it with MacDrive but when Windows/MacDrive came up all I could get was a BSOD. Removing the HDD and uninstalling MacDrive everything was back to normal.

Then I removed my C: drive (Windows) and replaced it with the OSX86 drive. It does boot up into Darwin (if you use the -v verbose switch you see some detail of the bootup) Without the -v switch I got a screen with an apple image on it and a circulation ring indicating activity. It halts with a circle with a slash through it after a while. Haven't figured out just what's wrong yet. I trive giving it a root drive command (rd=...) but no go. It found SSE and SSE2 and seemed happy but can't find the root drive boot point apparently.

cheers, esc2

P.S. I couldn't find any 0 file either to read.

Just a note that is probably not useful.

I have ghosted my installation between hard drives and it came back up again fine, so I know ghost images work w/HFS+ partitions and all. But, I had an entire HD image when I was trying it.

I download the image from the newsgroups and it said read the "0" file.  But thier isn't one or an NFO.  So Bluedragon can you elaborate here?

Thanks!

For those not familiar with newsgroups, a "0" file is the text part of the first post. All I said there was that you needed to use Ghost to restore this file to a hard drive (NOT to a partition).

I installed the current version of MacDrive and I don't get

a BSOD now but I do get this warning:

-------------------------

MacDrive Volume Check

The Mac volume 'tiger-x86 (G:)' was previously unsafely removed,

or used on a system that wasn't properly shut down.

To ensure disk integrity and avoid loss of files, the volume

should be either reformatted or repaired using Mac OS.

See MacDrive Help for more information.:

Whenever a disk is mounted, MacDrive checks the disk to see if it

was properly and politely unmounted the last time it was used.

If there are signs that it wasn't, MacDrive displays a warning like

the example below, so that you will know there is a risk that the

disk was corrupted when it was improperly unmounted.

If MacDrive displays this warning, it does not mean that the disk has

been judged to be corrupt; it merely means that there is a significant

risk, and that the disk should either be repaired (using Mac OS tools)

or reformatted in order to avoid future problems.

This warning is significant, but if you'd like for MacDrive to stop

displaying it, you can turn it off in MacDrive Properties, Options Tab.

--------------------------

Now I can see files/directories (subdirectories not shown):

.Spotlight-V100

.Trashes

.vol

AppleInternal

Applications

bin

cores

dev

Developer

Library

Network

opt

private

Recycled

sbin

System

Users

usr

Volumes

.DS_Store

.journal

.journal_info_block

Desktop DB

Desktop DF

etc

mach

mach.sym

mach_kernel

mach_kernel.old

tmp

var

--------------------------

When I look at the Tiger-X86 drive with windows explorer there seems to

be something wrong with the directory structure:

_http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/359/tigerx866kp.jpg

I got the ghost image and loaded it onto a hard drive using ghost32 from my bootable Symantec Livestate Recovery v3 CD.

Moving it to the boot drive position a screen comes up with an apple but it stops with a circle and a line through it. Starting in verbose mode it says a lot of stuff including timed out on mouse and ends up with a message that it is waiting for the OS disk.

Any ideas?

Wow. Same as me. I downloaded an image made by ghost 9, as it was noted, but strangely I could not open it by ghost 9 explorer.

Moreover the file's extension is .v2i and .sv2i, not the usual .gho, then I check this on the web and found that this file were originally created by powerquest and symantec bought powerquest, and applied this new file system in ghost 9.

And what is mass is ghost 9 itself couldnot open the file it created since it was powerquest's.

Finally, I managered to ghost the file into the X: driver by PowerQuest Drive Imange 7.0.3. After ten more minutes, it finished.

After I rebooted with revised boot.ini into OS X 86, it comed up with apple logo and the running cycle, but halted within 2 mins, the keyboard noe lighted, and guess it was missing.

When it rebooted the second time, i wrote -v and came up with many words full-screen, some of them are:

Resetting files and drivers

Starting virtual memory

Removing /mach.sym /var/tmp/folder. */etc/nologin /private/_tmp_ var/_run_ /private/var/vm/swapfile0 \mach.sym

Configuring kernel linker

Aug 28 20:37:05 kextd[27]: registering service "com.apple.KernelExtensionServer"

Resetting IOCatalogue.

Matching serve count = 2

Matching serve count = 4

Matching serve count = 4

Matching serve count = 4

Matching serve count = 4

Aug 28 20:37:06 kextd[28]: 347 cached, 0 uncached personalities to catalog.

Aug 28 20:37:06 kextd[28]: kld_load_from_memiry() failed for module /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/Contents/MacOS/NVDAResman.

Aug 28 20:37:06 kextd[28]: a link/load error occurred for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANVIOttal.kext.

display: stalling for module

RTC: invalid device register map

Apple 16x50 ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device = UAR1

Apple 16x50 ACPI1: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device = UAR1Apple 16x50ACPI2: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device = UAR2

Aug 28 20:37:07 kextd[40]: kld_load_from_memory() failed from module /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext/Contents/MacOS/NVDARasman

Anyone can help us out?

The one posted by Blue Dragon was made with Ghost 2003 (v7-8?) and does have the .gho extension. Apparently someone did another image in Ghost v9 with the .v2i extension. Ghost Explorer 2003 doesn't show anything for the tiger-X64.gho image either . I couldn't see any files/directories til I got MacDrive 6.0.7.

BTW, how did you get the printout of the diagnostic messages from Darwin? Other people have taken pictures of the screen. Once out of windows I don't know how to capture the screen as text.

cheers esc2

Houston - we have liftoff!

I entered the Darwin startup parameters as:

"platform=X86PC -v"

and this time it gave verbose commentary including the claim that the header needed minor repair. (MacDrive v6.0.0.0 gave a similar comment). I expected it to die again but apparently it made the repair and went on to launch into the OSX GUI!

It won't make a network connection. I/m guessing it doesn't recognize the Broadcom Ethernet chip. Will try putting in a more common ethernet card. Then on to SSE3 emulation....

Congrats bluedragon1971. Thanks for your work. I love it when a plan comes together.