Do DVI - VGA Adaptors make the slightest difference anyway?

chrismix

11 posts in this topic

My card's got a VGA and a DVI output. The DVI is the one that goes dead, also the DVI out has one of those DVI-VGA adaptors on it.

Some people have mentioned in their posts about success or failure with a particular Natit and if they are using such an adaptor or not; but does anyone know if it actually makes a difference? I.E, would the Hackintosh even 'know' that you've got an adaptor?

Has anyone ever found that their display works with the adaptor, but won't without it?

maybe this means osx is using the dvi ports as vga ports, ingnoring the other pins in dvi mode.

just an assumption, dont quote me on it.

All but the most expensive cards use internal TMDS nowadays. I suspect the problem is with os X failing to initialize it properly.

Edited by consolation

yes youve to add EDID ids somewhere for the dvi, but i dont know where...

Depends on your card / method. Natit/Titan are pretty good at making the card get the edids automatically (afaik, works for me anyhow). If that doesn't work for you add them to the kext that's responsible for your display initializing. I think the problem is that os X expects EFI to init the card but instead gets BIOS sitting with one finger up its arse.

Either-Or, plist editor is easier to use as it takes care of formating for you. But you can use nano or even text edit (if you are careful).

so far no luck, i tried putting them everywhere but no luck... also plist editor changes the edid hex, dont know if thats a problem..

is it possible maybe someone can make an natit installer and make it so you can add an EDID when it installs?

Yes - Couldn't get dual monitor for ages on natit neo installer (Geforce 7300 GS - JaS 10.4.8 intel SSE 3) on one dvi converter and one native vga outputs, as soon as i swapped the converter for a straight dvi cable, instant sucess ! Full dual monitor support.