Banning iPods and cellphones on New York City streets

TheMack

19 posts in this topic

Mother government is prepared to step in (again) and save you from yourselves.

Senator Carl Kruger is reportedly set to introduce legislation that would ban the use of MP3 players, cellphones, and any other electronic device while crossing the street in New York City or other "big cities" in the state.

The proposed ban follows two recent pedestrian deaths in Kruger's district where at least one is said to be the result of a person "listening to his iPod."

:tomato:

Psst! : you can send senator Kruger an email

:tomato:

I don't think banning iPods and the use of cell phones while driving would be a horrible idea. Yes it would be impossible to enforce that effectively but I do think it would make people less likely to use them all the time. It's already banned in Colorado to use a cell phone for your first 1 or 2 years of driving.

Also, how many people listen to an iPod while driving? I've seen it but I've never understood it too well.

rofl, whos gonna enforce that? alot of laws dont get enforced, and this will be one of them.

Welcome to New York, we're not supposed to talk on phones while we drive here and lots of people have received tickets for it, we were forced to switch to hands free receivers. This new law will make even hands free illegal and it's complete BS. They're going as far to say you cant walk down the road with headphones on listening to music. If this law passes, it will trickle down to affect the whole nation.

Welcome to New York, we're not supposed to talk on phones while we drive here and lots of people have received tickets for it, we were forced to switch to hands free receivers. This new law will make even hands free illegal and it's complete BS. They're going as far to say you cant walk down the road with headphones on listening to music. If this law passes, it will trickle down to affect the whole nation.

not my city :thumbsup_anim: and people dont even stop to talk to me when im puffing a joint, and thats been illegal since the 30s, sure i dont go near cops with it, but i dont really hide it..... so no dumbass is going to say jack to me about a phone, or an ipod, what are they gonna do, stop me?? doubt it. oh, and on the ipod in car, thats illegal if its through headphones, just to let the person who posted that earlier know, and it should be, cause you cant hear anything going on if you do that.

Dude, you almost cant even smoke cigarettes in NY anymore, and thats even if you can afford them :D

If this law is passed it will be very bad for everyone, even if people think it cant be enforced :2cents:

i hope it doesnt go through, but even if it does i dont think itd make it here, but i hope it doesnt all the same because it makes our government look retarded.

Oh well, hide your ipod and cellphone in a paperbag then...

If it is a severe problem, it is better to run a campaign to get into peoples mind and be more aware.

It is a fact of life, you just have to live (and let them die) with the careless and the ignorants...

If it is a severe problem, it is better to run a campaign to get into peoples mind and be more aware.

It is a fact of life, you just have to live (and let them die) with the careless and the ignorants...

:hysterical:

Hide your ipod in your pocket, throw on a hood and jam away.

If cops stop you with and see the headphones on, just say they weren't on.

If it's summer time, umm, well i guess they can be mistaken for hearing aides.

It is stupid if something like this is enforced. Is this for just walkin at an intersection?

This won't pass. Driving a car and jamming, causing and accident, that is different. Yes you can walk, jam, and cause an accident but you will be creamed and the cars will not. Banning this in an open area is unconstitutional. Smoking in places is getting banned, that I have no issue with. If you smoke you should respect others and there is OUTSIDE or in your car or home. Some may disagree but that my opinion.

If this goes though, then this country will be a little less free and then less of a democracy in my opinion. On sense in punishing the populous over a few retards.