HP dv6000 & dv9000 series

Mammoth

432 posts in this topic

Welcome dv6000 and dv9000 enthusiasts!

I love my dv9000 and would love it even more if I could get MAC OS X and Final Cut Pro to work on it in a tri-boot configuration with Windows MCE 2005 and Vista Ultimate x64. So far, I have the MCE and Vista working flawlessly, now I just need to iron out the MAC side of things, and at this writing, I am not even able to get the MAC OS to boot on my machine.

At present, I have a hard drive dedicated as the only drive in the system for MAC OS X, 10.4.8, and I have gone through many of the issues others have had such as the ACPI Panic and the infinite blinking cursor on boot up, and so forth.

I have followed the instructions found elsewhere in the IM forums, taking the original 10.4.8 jaS ISO, then applying the .V1P patch and then the Defiant_diskutil_7 patch, but no go as of yet for me. When I attempt to boot, I get the off-white background with the Apple logo with the spinner below it for a few moments... then my screen goes black, the fans kick up, and if I let it sit long enough, my machine gets really hot. I have no other recourse but to hold in the power button to shut the machine down.

So, let this be a place where we can work together to pool our knowledge and get MAC OS to work as flawlessly on our machines as possible, maybe even accomplishing an OS installation that is viable.

Edited by Mammoth

Here is some hardware information from my HP dv9000:

HP Pavilion dv9000t (customized notebook PC)

Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)

17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050)

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600

Microphone/Webcam

2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

100GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive

LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth

8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

The following is taken from Device Manger in Windows Vista Ultimate x64 in order of appearance. I am listing this information to help others identify similar hardware in their machines and in hopes this information may help others develop drivers:

> Bluetooth Radios:

HP Integrated Bluetooth module

MS Device ID: USB\VID_03F0&PID_171D&REV_0100

> Computer:

ACPI X64-Based PC

MS Device ID: acpiapic

> Disk Drives:

Fujitsu MHV2120BH PL ATA

100GB Serial ATA2 drive, (right now being used exclusively for the MAC OS)

MS Device ID: IDE\Disk FUJITSU_MHV2120BH_PL_____892C______

> Display adapters:

nVidia GeForce Go 7600

512MB

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0398&SUBSYS_30BB103CC&REV_A1

> DVD/CD-ROM drives:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N ATA Device

MS Device ID: IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-4084N___KQ09___

> Human Interface Devices:

(I will enter these at another time)

> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

ATA Channel 0

MS Device ID: Intel-27c5 Internal_IDE_Channel

ATA Channel 0

MS Device ID: Intel-27df Internal_IDE_Channel

ATA Channel 2

MS Device ID: Intel-27c5 Internal_IDE_Channel

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers – 27DF

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DF&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

Ricoh Memory Stick Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_0A

Ricoh MMC Host Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_01

Richo xD-Picture Card Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_05

Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

> IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers:

RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0832&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_00

> Keyboards:

(I will enter these later)

> Mice and other pointing devices:

Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

MS Device ID: ACPI\SYN012B *SYN012B

> Modems: (Do we even care?)

HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

MS Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&&SUBSYS_103C30BB&REV_1001

> Network adapters:

Intel® PRO/1000 PL Network Connection #2

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_109A&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_00

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection #2

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_135B103C&REV_02

> Processors:

Intel® Core2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) @ 2.00GHz, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, 4MB cache

MS Device ID: ACPI\GenuineIntel_-_EM64T_Family_6_Model_15

Intel® Core2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz

Core 2 Duo (Conroe) @ 2.00GHz, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, 4MB cache

MS Device ID: ACPI\GenuineIntel_-_EM64T_Family_6_Model_15

> SD host adapters

SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0822&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_19

> Sound, video and game controllers

Conexant high Definition Audio

MS Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&&SUBSYS_103C30BB&REV_1001

> System devices:

(Too many to list now)

> Universal Serial Bus controllers

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal host Controller – 27C8

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C8&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal host Controller – 27C9

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C9&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal host Controller – 27CA

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CA&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal host Controller – 27CB

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CB&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Universal host Controller – 27CC

MS Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CC&SUBSYS_30BB103C&REV_02

USB Root Hub

MS Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&&PID27CA&REV0002

USB Root Hub

MS Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&&PID27CB&REV0002

USB Root Hub

MS Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&&PID27C9&REV0002

USB Root Hub

MS Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&&PID27C8&REV0002

USB Root Hub

MS Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB&VID8086&&PID27CC&REV0002

Welcome dv6000 and dv9000 enthusiasts!

I love my dv9000 and would love it even more if I could get MAC OS X and Final Cut Pro to work on it in a tri-boot configuration with Windows MCE 2005 and Vista Ultimate x64. So far, I have the MCE and Vista working flawlessly, now I just need to iron out the MAC side of things, and at this writing, I am not even able to get the MAC OS to boot on my machine.

At present, I have a hard drive dedicated as the only drive in the system for MAC OS X, 10.4.8, and I have gone through many of the issues others have had such as the ACPI Panic and the infinite blinking cursor on boot up, and so forth.

I have followed the instructions found elsewhere in the IM forums, taking the original 10.4.8 jaS ISO, then applying the .V1P patch and then the Defiant_diskutil_7 patch, but no go as of yet for me. When I attempt to boot, I get the off-white background with the Apple logo with the spinner below it for a few moments... then my screen goes black, the fans kick up, and if I let it sit long enough, my machine gets really hot. I have no other recourse but to hold in the power button to shut the machine down.

So, let this be a place where we can work together to pool our knowledge and get MAC OS to work as flawlessly on our machines as possible, maybe even accomplishing an OS installation that is viable.

I've got a dv6119us, and so far the only way to install is via external hd. (usb)

without external hd, the install disc seems to go into a loop because it cannot find the harddrive. Most of the newer laptops have SATA hds within them, and I know that the dv6119us has the nforce chipset (nf4), perhaps your laptop does also. If that is the case, I'd recommend getting yourself a nice fast external usb hd to install OSX on. (check tigerdirect.com for cheap ones.) once installed to the external hd, you can use "dd" to image it to an internal hd as soon as the SATA bug is fixed within your installation.

I've got a dv6119us, and so far the only way to install is via external hd. (usb)

without external hd, the install disc seems to go into a loop because it cannot find the harddrive. Most of the newer laptops have SATA hds within them, and I know that the dv6119us has the nforce chipset (nf4), perhaps your laptop does also. If that is the case, I'd recommend getting yourself a nice fast external usb hd to install OSX on. (check tigerdirect.com for cheap ones.) once installed to the external hd, you can use "dd" to image it to an internal hd as soon as the SATA bug is fixed within your installation.

Interesting. I do have SATA drive, I wonder if that's my problem? I will have to try and see, as others do not seem to be having the problems I am. I have a couple of USB drives I can try. I don't have the nForce chipset as my unit is full Intel.

Thanks very much!

Hi Mammoth, I have a dv9000t CTO that is virtually identical to yours. I'm a complete newbie to macs (especially on x86) but thought I'd share that I am at exactly the same point as you are:

I installed JaS 10.4.8 onto a external USB drive as debauchery1st suggested. I boot up, I see the offwhite apple screen and then the video mode attempts to switch and I get a black screen. The CPU fan starts up and the computer is obviously very worked up about something. Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock, and the touchpad deactivation button all do nothing, indicating that the machine is pretty much locked up.

All of that sounds exactly like what you (Mammoth) described.

I disabled every single feature in the BIOS to see if things changed, no luck.

Finally I switched off my wireless card via the front switch. Rebooting does the same sequence except at the black screen if you wait just a few seconds I get a new screen: "You must reboot your computer".. it boots up that same way on reboot.

Anyway, good luck to the both of us, and PLEASE post back here if you get this working.

EnigmaCurry

Found something new:

Holding down the shift key is "safe mode" for the mac. I still get the black screen on bootup but on my router I see that a new computer has requested an IP! I can ping it and it gives back replies. I did a portmap with nmap and here is all that got returned:

Interesting ports on 192.168.1.128:

Not shown: 1678 closed ports

PORT STATE SERVICE

5000/tcp open UPnP

I can't do much else with the thing since there isn't anything usefull (ie SSH) to connect to. But it does appear to be running, and the CPU load is obviously lower since the CPU fan isn't running hard at this point.

EnigmaCurry

Thanks EnigmaCurry for sharing!

Ok, so now I know it's not just me, or my machine; it sounds like there is some hardware 10.4.8 doesn't like. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get this thing to work ('til 3:30 AM the other other night!)

Question: You say you were able to boot from external USB drive? How did you do that? I can't get my dv give me a 'boot from usb drive' entry on the ESC boot menu. I see it in the BIOS, but I can't engage it for some reason. If you could help, that would be really awesome.

Ok, I'm going to keep pounding away at it and will post successes and info here.

Thanks!

Hi Mammoth, Good News!

I'm making this post from within 10.4.8!

Here's what I did:

1) Reinstalled completely, this time to the local hard drive on the first partition (second partition is Ubuntu Linux)

2) Chose *NOT* to install any special video driver.

After rebooting, it immediately worked. The quality of the display was the same as when it was installing. 1024x768... only problem is at that point although it looks great at first, if you drag windows around or use scroll bars in windows it immediatly mucks up the screen with artifacts.

Next, I installed NVidiaEFI.kext. With that I got a whitescreen instead of a black screen.. not good. (Download 1.0.2 here)

Next, I installed LaptopDisplay.kext.. same whitescreen.. no good (Download 1.0.0d1 here)

Next following the advice on the Titan wiki page I removed NVDAResman.kext from /System/Libarary/Extensions

I removed /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

I modified my /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to contain the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.

com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Now I have things working quite well.. 1680x1050 doesn't actually work yet.. but changing the resoultion did bump it from 1024x768 to 1280x1024, which is better.

As far as booting from usb, I don't know what to tell you, as it has always just worked for me. Maybe your usb disk doesn't support booting? Does it work on any other computer?

Good luck!

EnigmaCurry

Wow Congrats EnigmaCurry! You're probably the first to get it working! :dance_24:

Well, I just don't get it. I've tried to do as you have, but do not get the successful results you do.

I turned off my wireless card with the slide switch on the front. I reinstalled (MANY times) but on boot, now it just locks at the Apple logo screen with the spinner frozen. Here is what I have:

dv9000t CTO

Core 2 Duo T7200

2GB RAM

Intel 1Gb LAN

Intel wireless

nVidia Go GeForce 7600 w/ 512MB

BIOS:

Version F.15

System Configuration:

SATA = Enabled

Button Sound = Disabled

Virtualization = Disabled

CPU C4 Function = Enabled

(I have tried with all of these disabled, but did not seem to help)

Boot Options:

CD-ROM Boot = Enabled

Floppy Boot = Disabled

Internal Network Boot = Disabled

Boot Order:

ATAPI

USB Hard Drive

USB Floppy

USB Diskette

!Network Adapter

When I install MAS OSX x86, I am using the jaS 10.4.8, patched as previously mentioned. I install with the fallowing settings:

Install as only OS on the SATA 100GB drive (partition, erase, install)

I sellect:

- All fonts

- no languages

- Intel processor

- Most common components

- NO additional video drivers (I have tried numerous times WITH the nVidia Titan, with no luck)

PLEASE... someone help me figure this out and AT LEAST get me to a booted OS. :tomato:

I'm BEYOND insanity at this point and SOOOOOO much wasted time...

My wife ---> Quit messing with that :) computer you dummy!!!!

Thanks.

:(

Ok here is some more info on my issue:

I used the -v -x parms on boot up and it seems mine is stopping right after the following:

- AppleIntel8254XEthernet

-

- localhost Directory Service[55]: Launched version 2.1 (v353.5)

- localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

and then I get nothing else... it's hung there.

EnigmaCurry: Do you have Intel or Broadcom network components in your machine?

'

Mammoth,

I'm using the intel network card.

Here's my configuration in lspci format:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0398 (rev a1)

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

07:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832

07:05.1 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)

07:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)

07:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 0a)

07:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 05)

By the way, I have the wireless switch turned ON. Having it off prevents booting.

I also didn't do anything to patch the JaS 10.4.8 iso.. maybe your patches are doing somthing weird?

Hi Mammoth, Good News!

I'm making this post from within 10.4.8!

Here's what I did:

1) Reinstalled completely, this time to the local hard drive on the first partition (second partition is Ubuntu Linux)

2) Chose *NOT* to install any special video driver.

After rebooting, it immediately worked. The quality of the display was the same as when it was installing. 1024x768... only problem is at that point although it looks great at first, if you drag windows around or use scroll bars in windows it immediatly mucks up the screen with artifacts.

Next, I installed NVidiaEFI.kext. With that I got a whitescreen instead of a black screen.. not good. (Download 1.0.2 here)

Next, I installed LaptopDisplay.kext.. same whitescreen.. no good (Download 1.0.0d1 here)

Next following the advice on the Titan wiki page I removed NVDAResman.kext from /System/Libarary/Extensions

I modified my /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to contain the following:

Now I have things working quite well.. 1680x1050 doesn't actually work yet.. but changing the resoultion did bump it from 1024x768 to 1280x1024, which is better.

As far as booting from usb, I don't know what to tell you, as it has always just worked for me. Maybe your usb disk doesn't support booting? Does it work on any other computer?

Good luck!

EnigmaCurry

2 questions,

1. What nvidia chip is present within your notebook?

2. Were you able to get QE/CI working?

EnigmaCurry: When you get a chance, could you do me a small favor? Boot your jaS DVD and let it go to the install screen. Does yours say "Beta v2"?

If not, could you please share the link where you got your .ISO from? Maybe that IS my problem.

Thanks.

SUCCESS!!!!!!

At last! Ok, I have entered this posting from within 10.4.8!

Ok, what was my problem? I guess sometimes even I can be a fricken idiot! I WAS using Custom installation, but I wasn't UNSELECTING drivers I DIDN'T need at install. :)

Ok, so now I guess I get to start tweaking. First thing I would like to do is get audio working.

debauchery1st,

I'm a noob, so I don't even know what QE/CI would gain me, but the "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> "Graphics/Drivers" states that both Core Image and Quartz Extreme are not supported.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 (Device ID is 0x0398)

Things I'd like to get working that are not:

1) Sound

2) Higher Resolution (something that is not a stretched image would be nice)

3) When I type "clear" in the terminal, about 50% of the time I get a "Bus Error" and then shortly after a black "You must reboot your computer screen".. would be nice if I could fix that.

4) QE/CI .. sounds cool..

5) Wireless

also interesting is that it reports that I have a 256MB video card when in fact it is 512MB.

Ok, I had the chance to try this on another dv9000, a dv9260nr, which has an nVidea GeForce Go 7600 with only 256MB (mine has 512MB like EnigmaCurry's). There is an nVidia sticker on the laptop that says "PureVideo HD"; this laptop has an HD DVD drive. I don't know if this means the video card is physically different than ours, or it is just a reference to some software or driver component. What is interesting is that I was able to install JaS 10.4.8 on the dv9260nr using the Titan driver on the DVD and it worked perfectly, and at a much higher resolution (sorry, I didn't check the actual resolution). Not being a Mac guy, I saw some "cool" visual effects while in use, windows "whisping" down as I minimized them and when filling out the initial registration pages on install, each page appeared on the face of a box or cube and rotated to another side as I completed each page. Very nice!

When I took the drive out of that machine and put in my dv9000t CTO, uh, oh; I just kept getting the "shutdown with the power switch screen". I had to reinstall, from scratch again, and to make a long story short, it would NOT install with the Titan drivers, had to uncheck them to get a successful install. Now, no cool effects, no high resolution, and I have the "artifacts" EnigmaCurry mentioned.

So my thought is that perhpas the only real difference is that the Titian drivers can't handle 512MB of ram. I don't think there is any difference (but I may be wrong about this) between our nVidia cards and the one sporting "PureVideo HD".

On a differnt note:

EnigmaCurry: My bluetooth seems to be working (but havent actually done anything with it), I see the bluetooth symbol at the top of the screen.

Also, my wireless light is on (on the front) but can't figure out how to configure, let alone use it. It's an Intel, so I have high hopes of getting it working.

I REALLY need to get sound working, but I have seen that it may be impossible.

I just installed JAS 10.4.8 on my new DV922US. It has Core 2 Duo 1.6, 2 GB Ram, GeForce Go 7600 256 MB, dual 80 GB hard drives. I think I have the original DVD with natit. I installed with only natit and intel patches selected. I had CI and QE and full resolution support on 1st reboot. Patched audio (working) and also Power Management so I have battery status. Wired LAN works out of the box and from what I understand there is no fix for intel wireless at this point. CPU is properly detected, both cores working with no sign of stuttering. I'm not sure if the fan is running at full speed but it definitely runs at a constant speed & hasn't revved down ret as far as I can tell. I haven't tested card reader, burner, webcam or PC slot. So far so good though... looks very promising for intel HP Laptops

Edited by Thade

I just installed JAS 10.4.8 on my new DV922US. It has Core 2 Duo 1.6, 2 GB Ram, GeForce Go 7600 256 MB, dual 80 GB hard drives. I think I have the original DVD with natit. I installed with only natit and intel patches selected.

Thade your GeForce Go 7600 256 MB with Natit drivers don't have a "banding" problem on a shadings of colors??

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion DV6110ca.

Specs are here:

Specs for DV6110ca

I am pretty newbie here. However, thanks to this thread and some others, I have been able to install Jas 10.4.8 for AMS / Intel SSe2 SSe3 patched on an external USB hard drive and with a USB mouse. I have only selected AMD.

Keyboard of the laptop does not respond. I need to find a USB keyboard.

However, I can boot on my USB hard drive with the command

-v -x parms

until the login window, but cannot enter the password since I don't have any working keyboard yet. Normal boot does not work.

Hope it helps for some of you. Feedback would be appreciated if you experience similar issues.

Thanks and all the best,

Don.

AzaliaAudio.pkg worked but so did a few other methods I tried. I still can't get headphone out

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=36520&st=0

Keep in mind that Dv6000 and DV9000 laptops can be either intel or AMD depending on the suffix or the model number

The DVD I used is: JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso

selected patches for Intel and natit only & had no difficulty with SATA or disk utility. I did create my partitions in advance & made a 25GB fat32 partition for X which I erased/converted with disk utility from DVD prior to installation. I can say for sure but trying to partition empty space COULD be a prob

function keys and volume buttons also work. Remote works for volume and no a whole lot else (so far)

if you are having difficulty with basic install double check selected drivers and try unpatched dvd

I also noticed increased fan activity and heat in OSX. My original bios was F13. I updated to F15 and temps and fan activity dropped quite a bit.

Edited by Thade

First off, I just want thank EVERYONE who is partipating in this thread. I could not have gotten as far as I have without all your input. THANK YOU! I just got my sound working, at least output, and I am so stoked!

I need a little help now getting video to work better, I'm still at the 1024x768 settings. Every time I mess up, I am having to reinstall from scratch. This happens when I end up in the endless loop of getting the "please press and hold your power switch". Presently, when I get this message I am reinstalling from scratch. If anyone has pointers for me on how I could boot up in command line mode, mount the volume, and undue what I had just done and get back to a working system, I would REALLY appreciate that GREATLY. Does Mac have a "Last known good configuration" capability like XP?

EnigmaCurry

Hey EnigmaCurry,

Thanks a lot for all your help! :( I am trying to follow your lead on getting my video drivers working as you did, but I am having some problems. At each of the steps you listed above, you end each one saying "not good". Do these mean NOT to attempt those steps, just ignore them, or do they mean you have to do all them in sequence in order for the process to work?

Thanks,

Mammoth

Hi Mammoth,

Yea, I can see how I left that ambiguous :whistle:

You have to do all those things:

1) install NVidiaEFI.kext

2) install LaptopDisplay.kext (not real sure if this is required or not, I have it installed currently)

3) remove NVDAResman.kext (this is the most important one)

-EnigmaCurry

1280x1024 is better than what you've got right now, but it's still real annoying on the widescreen display.. everything is stretched. Has anyone been able to get a 1.6:1 screen ratio yet? Like 1680x1050 or 1440x900?