Darwin bootloader switches

edmoncu

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have tried searching from the forum but came up empty handed... As I remember, someone posted switches available to use on the Darwin bootloader. I hope someone could help me at this.

Thank you very much in advanced! :pirate2:

quoting your article... it says...

* -f - This forces rebuilding of extensions cache

* -s - Boots into a single user command line mode

* -v - Verbose, boots in text mode showing all debug info and errors

* -x - Boots into safe mode

* "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" - Tells VESA to boot with this resolution, the x32 is bit depth and is only compatible with VESA 3.0 and up

* rd=disk0s1 - Tells Darwin to boot from a certain partition specified in BSD format. Disk 0 specifies first HDD and s1 specifies first partition as 0 is the MBR.

* cpus=1 - Tells the system how many CPUs or cores to use, useful for Core Duo users.

* platform=X86PC - Can be used if problems with normal booting, ACPI is another option here

* -legacy

i have a question though... you said that the switches can be made permanent by accessing terminal and typing

sudo -s

nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

if for example, i am to save the setting "-cpus=1" to the said file, would i enter this on the said file?

<key>cpus</key>
<string>1</string>

or if i want the kextchache to be always rebuilt at startup, i add this code?

<key>f</key>

also, should i enter all entries inside the <dict> part? and are they all case-sensitive?

awaiting for your feedback here. thanks again! :thumbsdown_anim:

thanks.

Edited by edmoncu

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>cpus=1</string>

<string>-f</string>

That should take care of it. Make a backup just in case though.

i see... does it have to be inside or outside the <dict></dict> or <plist></plist> portion of the config file? thanks

• 3 years later...

I have looked everywhere and cant find an example as to how to choose a kext package a the darwin bootloader. i installed ideneb 1.5.6 on my compaq c700 and everything but the wifi works perfect. i read on some other post that i have to load the broadcom driver at the bootloader in order to get my wifi working, can someone please tell what i have to type at the bootloader... i dont know where else to look.