"The cable for Built-in Ethernet is not plugged in."

lotus49

16 posts in this topic

I have installed 10.4.1 from the hacked Marklar installation DVD onto my Compaq nc6220 notebook. The installation went very smoothly and everything seemed to be working fine until I plugged in a network cable.

When I go into System Preferences->Network I see the above error message next to Built-in Ethernet (which is accompanied by a red dot). The Configure button is not greyed-out, but when I click on it, nothing happens.

I have tried plugging the laptop into two completely separate and tested pieces of networking kit (a switch and a wireless bridge) with the laptop cold booting with the same result.

Do these symptoms indicate that OSX just doesn't recognise my network card (this is the third machine I have installed OSX x86 on but the network cards on the other two - an AMD desktop and a Compaq N610c notebook - were recognised without any action on my part) or is there something else they could point to?

I am not absolutely sure what the ethernet chipset is (looking on Google and the HP web site was not very informative), but based on one passing reference in the service manual, I think it's an RTL8139, which is reported elsewhere here to be supported.

Any ideas?

The presence of 'Built In Ethernet' proves that OS X has detected your network card and brought it online. Problem is, it can't detect anything out of it. Have you tried connecting it to another machine via a crossover cable? I'm assuming that you've verified that the card works in Windows and/or another operating system?

Compaq nc6220

I am sure you have WinXP on this, so why not just go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, device manager (DM), and look at the network adapter. In fact you can click on the PC icon (under DM) and print out (to text file) a list of all the system summary (if you have installed a generic text printer).

If you got dual boot going, try a warm reboot to OSX86 (restart) right after WinXP, sometimes the WinXP driver will initiates the network adapter and system resources properly and carry over to the OSX86.

I have now installed XP and reinstalled OSX but nothing has changed except I now know that the network card is a Broadcom NetXTreme Gigabit.

The ethernet card works fine in XP (although it did need drivers) on a 100M netwok, but if I reboot into OSX I get the same result as before ie "The cable for Built-in ethernet is not plugged in".

Frustratingly, I have a wireless card that is supported by OSX x86 (again with drivers, but I have them) but OSX doesn't recognise any PCMCIA adapters in this laptop.

My other laptop (a Compaq Evo N610c) works fine with OSX but runs at half the speed. This wouldn't matter much but I wanted to do a clean install and I could only install using the deadmoo image on this laptop (I got the "waiting for root device" error using the installation DVD.

Drat.

Are you using a wireles router by any chance?

If so, have you set up MAC address filtering?

Windows XP assigns one MAC address to the network card, while the mac address assigned by OSX could be intirely different. Most of these cheap network adapters assign the MAC address via a driver, so its something to check. My buddy had this issue the other day and I accidentally figured it out. Good luck.

I have now installed XP and reinstalled OSX but nothing has changed except I now know that the network card is a Broadcom NetXTreme Gigabit.

The ethernet card works fine in XP (although it did need drivers) on a 100M netwok, but if I reboot into OSX I get the same result as before ie "The cable for Built-in ethernet is not plugged in".

Frustratingly, I have a wireless card that is supported by OSX x86 (again with drivers, but I have them) but OSX doesn't recognise any PCMCIA adapters in this laptop.

My other laptop (a Compaq Evo N610c) works fine with OSX but runs at half the speed. This wouldn't matter much but I wanted to do a clean install and I could only install using the deadmoo image on this laptop (I got the "waiting for root device" error using the installation DVD.

Drat.

Are you using a wireles router by any chance?

If so, have you set up MAC address filtering?

Windows XP assigns one MAC address to the network card, while the mac address assigned by OSX could be intirely different. Most of these cheap network adapters assign the MAC address via a driver, so its something to check. My buddy had this issue the other day and I accidentally figured it out. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply but I don't think this is the problem. I couldn't get the network adapter even when it was plugged directly into a wired 10/100 switch.

Normally the MAC address is hardware dependent. It is possible for the networking layer to lie about the MAC but every ethernet adapter in existence has (or at least should have) a unique MAC address and this will be the same regardless of the OS (unless the OS is configured to spoof the MAC address).

network card is a Broadcom NetXTreme Gigabit.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCLPart#Ethernet

# Broadcom

* BCM4400 10/100 integrated controller

* 440X 10/100 integrated controller

* BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet integrated controller

* BCM5705M Gigabit Ethernet - Dell SC420+Acer 1692 integrated doesnt work

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...9&hl=netextreme

May have to add Compaq nc6220 to the list of non functionals.

The easiest way may be to get a wireless mini PCI with the right version of Broadcom/Airport (Ebay has some, not expensive, about $15).

I have installed 10.4.1 from the hacked Marklar installation DVD onto my Compaq nc6220 notebook. The installation went very smoothly and everything seemed to be working fine until I plugged in a network cable.

When I go into System Preferences->Network I see the above error message next to Built-in Ethernet (which is accompanied by a red dot). The Configure button is not greyed-out, but when I click on it, nothing happens.

I have tried plugging the laptop into two completely separate and tested pieces of networking kit (a switch and a wireless bridge) with the laptop cold booting with the same result.

Do these symptoms indicate that OSX just doesn't recognise my network card (this is the third machine I have installed OSX x86 on but the network cards on the other two - an AMD desktop and a Compaq N610c notebook - were recognised without any action on my part) or is there something else they could point to?

I am not absolutely sure what the ethernet chipset is (looking on Google and the HP web site was not very informative), but based on one passing reference in the service manual, I think it's an RTL8139, which is reported elsewhere here to be supported.

Any ideas?

Read this link http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=2789 for the possible solution

• 2 weeks later...
I installed it on the nc6220 and ethernet and sound are not detected at all. I came across this site:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:oeodJ...lient=firefox-a

It seems the PCI ID of the ethernet controller is this laptop is 0x165E, while all the other BCM5705M use 0x165D, can anyone confirm the PCI ID of their working BCM5705M?

There doesn't appear to be a kext for the BCM5705 but there is for the BCM5701 and both these PCI IDs are listed in there. Have a look at /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci106b,8</string>

<string>pci106b,9</string>

<string>pci14e4,16a6</string>

<string>pci14e4,1648</string>

<string>pci14e4,165d</string>

<string>pci14e4,1696</string>

<string>pci14e4,165e</string> <---- here it is

</array>

So my great idea of adding this line in (which is why I was looking at it) won't work.

Now on to plan B...

• 2 weeks later...

My BCM5705M worked fine in 10.4.1; however, now that I am in 10.4.3, it doesn't work.

I get:

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: InitNVRam - found non-5701 with serial eeprom or unbuffered flash

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: get AdapterInfo - init/sanity check of nvram failed

AppleBCM5701Ethernet: start - getAdapterInfo failed, giving up

• 1 month later...

Been fighting this one on my hp nc6000 a bit as well. Actually had it working at one point yesterday afternoon - connected Entourage to my Exchange server, was running AIM and MSN etc...took it home and fired it up to work on PCCard Wireless and got a message about the extension could not be used.

I did my installation in the full multi-bay dock (which is a no-no in the Windows world) and suspect that may have something to do with it...if I can't manage to get it working again in a few minutes probably going to go through the install again without the docking station.

I've also got some other oddities including common mouse tearing and unable to change video to any other resolution - tried all the fixes around here I've found so far. Going to pickup a WPC54GS today to get the wireless working - I happened to be unlucky and already have the WPC54Gv2 at home.

The OS is running and running damn well though, and thats more than I can say for some of the other releases i tried.

I'm using the 10.4.3