Mac OS boot error after Windows defrag

Nebzar

4 posts in this topic

I recently used PerfectDisk 8.0 under Win XP to defrag the boot volume (C:): first a pass to defrag system files, then a pass for regular files.

Since then, when Mac OS 10.4.8 (which resides in its own partition) boots it gives me a message error:

Errors encountered while starting up the computer

Pausing 5 seconds

and then it boots regularly.

I think that the message is displayed when Mac OS tries to mount C: and for some reason fails. In fact, I don't see anymore such a partition (which previously was always present) in the Finder. Is it possible that the defrag operation on system files (which, if I understood correctly, moved also the Master File Table) has made impossible for Mac OS to access the MTF?

Not that this is a big problem, but I'm just curious about, so I have two questions:

- which is the log file (if any) to inspect for this error message? I couldn't find it in any of the log files I looked at;

- is there a way to help Mac OS to mount C:, without risking to mess it up?

Thanks and regards

• 4 months later...

I would stop mounting the NTFS partitions when they aren't working properly, to avoid data loss. Perhaps OS X has saved information about the NTFS partition, and the organization of the disk structures after the defragmentation doesn't match up.