MacBook won't output via built in speakers

PZR

13 posts in this topic

Hi chaps, I was just listening to some music, watching some videos etc, and my MacBook was plugged into my speakers, I then took out the 3.5mm jack from the headphone port, and no sound was coming out of my MacBook, I hit the volume button, the volume is at full with a no entry sign at the bottom,Picture%204.png

I think, that's odd, plug the 3.5mm jack back in, works fine on the speakers, unplug it, same thing, restart the MacBook with and without the 3.5mm jack plugged in, same thing.

When the 3.5mm jack is taken out, it's still trying to output to it since I can see the red beam.

This is what I get with the 3.5mm jack plugged in:

Picture%202.png

And this is what I get with it taken out:

Picture%203.png

And I have absolutely no clue how to fix it, the apple website was of no use.

Edited by PZR

The output on the sound window isn't normal though is it, since I can't adjust the volume or anything else, the volume on the midi audio window is blanked out to, that can't be right can it?

Everything in the system profiler seems normal

profiler.png

It's a really weird bug.

Ok I just restarted again, the start up sound comes out of the speakers, and I can adjust the volume for about a second after start up, then it goes back to Picture%204.png

Edited by PZR

• 2 weeks later...

I formatted and reinstalled OS X, didn't fix it.

Jammed a wooden cocktail stick in there, wiggled it about, a minute later the speakers started working again.

Thanks a lot for the help :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by PZR

• 5 months later...

So my MacBook is giving me the exact same problem as previously described. You guys said that you can stick a toothpick in it and wiggle around? Is there a particular direction that I should be sticking the toothpick into the audio out (like top left..etc)?