Can I remap a key to a new character entity?

Greg Bird

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a 17' mbp C2D, running XP SP2 under Bootcamp 1.12

For whatever reason, when I type a quotation mark (Shift-Apostrophe) I receive the diaeresis symbol (¨). This happens for both internal and external keyboards

Intended character = "

Entity name = "

Unicode = u0022

Delivered character = ¨

Entity name = ¨

Unicode = u00A8

I didn't even notice immediately as the two symbols look quite similar. I have done quite a lot of web searching and can't find any reference to this for other bootcamp users, so not sure what I have done wrong.

Have uninstalled the bootcamp drivers and installed Input remapper. The problem remained. I then tried to bumble around to create my own remapping, but the UI follows my keystrokes, and as there is no way for me to currently type the quotation symbol (had to copy and paste it to even put it in this post), I am a bit of a loss.

Is there any way to manually map this keystroke to a particular character entity? Any one else having this problem?

Thanks in advance, Greg

Edited by Greg Bird

To generate new characters you need to change keyboard layout in Windows. Maybe you have a layout that the apple keyboard support installed? Try changing to the default layout. If this does not work check the Windows layout and see if the Windows layout has placed the key differently than in OSX.

You can check Windows keyboard layouts here:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx

You can create your own layouts with this program:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

• 2 months later...

Damn! I've just spent the past 2 days building my new MacBook Pro with Bootcamp and WinXP. Had installed all of my development tools and run in every conceivable patch. Then I ran into this problem with double quotes appearing incorrectly so I thought "no problem" I'll install this keyboard mapper from MS, load the original apple keyboard mappings and edit that the offending button so it displays the correct quotation marks. This worked fine until I decided to remove the original Apple keyboard settings in Regional and Language Options -> Text Services and Input Languages and do a reboot. Now the keyboard doesnt work at all so I am powerless to login.

Please can somebody tell me how on earth I can reset the default keyboard so I can get access to WinXP again, otherwise I'm gonna have to hose the partition and start again :rolleyes:

HELP!!!!