OS X for SSE (qemu)

Dragon

417 posts in this topic

Dragon,

I also tried aside from /dev/sr0 I also tried using /dev/scd0. No go. I guess I'll have to download that ISO file again. :unsure: No wait, I can just image the original DVD... duh... well am on it then.

I would advise you to use PearPC, too. PearPC has processor acceleration, while QEMU hasn't (well, OSX86 doesn't work if you enable it).

In fact, there have been idea's for a 'PearPC OS' in the past. The concept of PearOS was identical (DSL LiveCD + PearPC...).

MAC OS X x86 10.4.6 DVD >> Use alternate Source >>>>

Create / Obtain MAC OS X x86 10.4.6 ISO >> DONE

Burnt Knoppix 5.1.1 CD >> DONE

Use Qemu >> Done

Used the following command: qemu platform=x86pc "graphics mode"="800x600x16" /dev/hda6

Post Results >> Errors

Error #1 = cannot load Kqemu

Hence I used the following command: qemu platform=x86pc "graphics mode"="800x600x16" -no-kqemu /dev/hda6

Error #2 = qemu does NOTHING

LOL, it says that it is booting from my HDD partition (dev/hda6) but that is about it.

post-77554-1169657795_thumb.png

Any bright ideas guys??

Edited by Cruxado

As Pu7o said, we are better off using PearPC instead of qemu. Sorry Embio for the change of plans. I have PearPC installed and running correctly in knoppix and am just trying to get the OS X image across onto the natively formatted ext2 partition (soon to try ntfs).

To install PearPC boot knoppix, open up a Konsole window and run these 2 commands.

apt-get update

apt-get install pearpc

then read the documentation on how it's used.. it's very similar to qemu.

swear very loudly....?

M#@$F@$(%...

Ahhh... Now then...

I should have stated that am running Knoppix LiveCD. So I've just downloaded PearPC 0.40 and I'll see if it'll install (./configure) well with the Knoppix CD. If not I'll have to install Knoppix then.

Also all my partitions are formated in NTFS. I'll see if by changing one to FAT32 maybe qemu might actually work. Oh, I'll also double check the HDDs permissions as well.

I'll report on my finding and then I'll turn to PearPC.

Here are my screenshots of OS X in qemu.

It is running at a pretty decent speed considering knoppix is running under vmware. Knoppix won't boot on my p3 and it is the only OS that I have gotten qemu to work with(using OS X).

I am going to try and find out why knoppix isn't working on my p3 and try it on that.

Today i'm going to test in PearPC and see which runs faster.

BTW, if you want videos of OS X in qemu I will post some.

post-18990-1169874626_thumb.jpg

post-18990-1169874648_thumb.jpg

sorry to keep ducking in and out of this thread and not really contributing, been working on my server and trying to get uni work done on top of that (note the priority order!) I fail to see how emulating a PPC chip is faster than one kind of x86 on another kind of x86, but if that is a case at least we can use a known commodity, PearPC and a PowerPC version of Tiger, as opposed to a hacked OSx86

In the case of qemu and pearpc, both emulate a whole architecture therefore will only run at 10% - 20% native CPU power. Accelerators can be loaded into the kernel to speed up the emulation by carrying out some of the tasks natively. I have decided that we are using qemu with an acceleration module, but I can't find one that would be appropriate for an SSE2-less processor. I'm sure there are some, I will be looking tomorrow. By the way, using the kqemu accelerator with qemu allows qemu to use 80% native CPU power but requires SSE2.

Another thing that Ai Haibara has told me, is that PearPC doesn't emulate sound.

I will probably include both PearPC and Qemu in the final dvd and have an option to choose either and what accelerator to use. This dvd could be used as a solution for people who have incompatible hardware and want to run OS X aswell.

Things i'm doing at the moment :

Finding an accelerator that works on SSE.

Remastering a knoppix livecd.

Fix the problem with knoppix and my p3 so I can do some proper native testing.

Things left to do :

Strip knoppix of all unneeded apps and leave twm and fluxbox.

Add OS X install DVD (10.4.8)

Write scripts for virtual machine setup/startup.

I hope I get some of these done tomorrow, although I have schoolwork to do.

Just an idea: perhaps you could use the SLAX-distrubution. There's some documantation to be found on their website about modyfing the existing SLAX LiveCD and/or creating your own livecd distribution. There even is a version of SLAX downloadable with QEMU included, already.

http://slax.linux-live.org

Edited by MacRetail

ok, let me put this idea forward (something i am planning on doing hopefully) what about porting the aqua user interface from say 10.2 or 10.3 to darwin 6.0.2 for the x8s platform?? you will still have os x (an earlier version) and you can run it on a system with a minimum of sse instructions. my thing is i'm not sure what files/directories make up the aqua interface in order to port it to the x86 version of darwin.

@ Pu7o

qvm86 is a kernel module to provide x86 virtualisation capabilities for the qemu emulator. Virtualisation allows "emulated" code to be run natively on the host cpu, using the CPU protection mechanisms to intercept and emulate priveleged events.

@cro

we can't port aqua because we don't have the source. unless you mean for us to rewrite it which will never happen.

@MacRetail

I looked into a SLAX live cd when I was first looking for liveCDs, but never found a way that it could be loaded into ram.