Please Help ASAP

slim

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Ever since i got my macbook i have been trying to format it to no prevail. When i put in my os x 10.4 dvd, it says "You cannot install this software on this disk". I then tried to restore my mac to a previous date and when that had completed i shut down and went to bed for the night.

When i woke up the next morning, i cannot get into os x anymore.

I see the apple and the circle turning round and round and nothing happens. I tried booting into single user mode by holding down cmd + s and when i do so i get the following error: "load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 86 load of /sbin/launchd, errno 86,"

Can anyone tell me what i can do to fix this problem? PLEAAAAAASE!!!

Try resetting your PRAM. When the computer is off, push the power button. Immediately hold "P", "R", "Apple Key/COMMAND", and "Option/ALT", hold until your computer does the startup sound twice. You can also do this through open firmware mode, but I don't know how. Hope that helps. BTW, what are you trying to format it too?

If i didn't make it clear enough, this is a quote from Apple's site.

Reset the Parameter RAM (PRAM) by following these steps:

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on your keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You must hold these keys down simultaneously in this step.

Press the computer's power button and then simultaneously hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press these keys before the gray screen appears.

Continue to press the keys until the computer restarts twice, then release the keys.

The parameter RAM and the non-volatile RAM in your computer are reset to the default values. The clock setting is not changed.

I gave that a go but it didnt help. The computer reset twice and then continued to do what it was doing before. I should also add that my os x dvd is in the dvd drive and makes alot of noise (as if it was reading)

Ok well i see a ton of stuff on the screen.

Anything in particular you are looking for?

The final four lines are as follows:

load of /sbin/launchd, errno 86, trying /sbin/mach_init

load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 86

CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop

IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped

Edited by slim

Try booting off your Mac OS X CD that came with your Macbook. In the utilities menu, choose Disk Utility. Seletct your HD in the source menu. Choose "Repair Disk Permissions". When that is done choose, "Repair Disk". After both of those are done, try booting again.

Ok guys,

I listened to what a friend had suggested and plugged in another mac through firewire. From there, i was able to wipe the hard drive clean. Now, however, when i try to install os x back onto the hd, i pop in the os x dvd and all i see is a folder with a question mark on it. Does this mean that the dvd i have is no good? I seem to recall having used it in the past...