InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
U.C.

Weird Problem with Titan/Natit and my 6600 AGP

I have this weird problem with my card (BIG Geforce 6600 AGP 8X). Now I get QE/CI but its totally a waste.

My screen keeps on blanking every second.

Every time it blanks off, and back on, the graphics being displayed (windows etc) kinda fade in, as it happens when resolution changes.

First a blue back ground comes steady and then the OSX windows etc fade in, for a second everything is fine.

Then as if someone changed the resolution, my monitor blanks for a second and the Blue Background comes and so on

My Geforce 4 Ti4200 works fine with the same config. (I added both the device ids to th kexts). It only gives QE, but still.

I am using Natit 0.2 with Dual DVI support, along with AGPGart.

I have tried every possible way of connecting monitors to the card, DVI, Dual, VGA. Please help.

MY THEORY

I think it is detecting some phantom second monitor or something. My Geforce 4 gives dual monitor, but 6600 will run only one. Maybe it cant keep the refresh rate / resolution stable

Advertisement

Now If I just go and delete Titan/Natit.kext, my card will work perfect. No QE/CI, but res change etc will work.

I have tried all bulids of Natit/Titan, although with the uni installer, i dont get output on my DVI port of my 6600. Oh well I have to give NVidiaEFI.kext a go now.

I think my card is jinxed or something, just refuses to work. I have tried every single possible kext combination. Its as if my 6600 has a anti QE/CI mode or something.......ARGHHHHHHH

Though my Leadtek (XFX) Geforce 4 Ti 4200 continues to work with any kext combination. Humming along perfectly well.

Ne ideas....ne one

Hmm... yet another AGP Card with Natit problems.

In the np_'s "laptop display" thread, there is some talk of AGPGart.kext. It might be worth looking at that for some ideas.

I am having the same problem as Unstable Connection but mine is intermittent. I am using an Nvidia 7800 GTX, so I don't think it is ATI related.

I got it to clear up by fixing permissions three times and removing /System/Library/Extensions.*

My actions may have been useless as it happened yesterday and today it was fine all day. Then at night it started again. No discernible reason why. Maybe it was because I turned the machine off and let it sit a while (Shuttle SN26P).

Once it works, it stays up stable. It only happens at boot-up (or within seconds of displaying the login screen).

Is NVidieEFI.kext now ready for primetime?

I use NVidiaEFI.kext and get better performance with it too.

Natit works for me:

nVidia GeForce 6600:

Modelo de chipset: nVidia GeForce 6600

Tipo: Pantalla

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (total): 512 MB

Fabricante: NVIDIA (0x10de)

ID del dispositivo: 0x0141

ID de la revisión: 0x00a2

Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Estado: No hay ninguna pantalla conectada

SyncMaster:

Resolución: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Compatible

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Quartz Extreme: Compatible

...but recognizes 2 displays (i had only one and the card has only one connector, VGA). when i power on the pc, the monitor fades in and out, need to restart an everything works fine. that happens every day. the first time i see the monitor fades in and out, but when restarted everything works. any subsequent restart works fine.

I dropped natit.kext into .../Extensions, repair permissions, etc....

i tried the natit_uni installer first but the monitor fades in and out always.

Do you restart from the Mac menu or forcefully (power button).

The restart trick didnot work. Hmmmmm I wish I could fix this.