Preliminary data collection for RTL8201CL PHY

orByte

21 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

My next project is the RTL8201CL class PHY. And, I am looking to get some field data from people whose motherboards include this chip. If you have some time, I would appreciate information on the following:

(1). Motherboard (and chipset)

(2). Network driver used under Linux. (If you use a live cd - e.g. Gentoo, and then do 'lsmod' that should do it.) Gentoo is pretty good at setting up networking.

E.g.

(1) Asrock AM2XLI-eSATA2 - ULi® M1697

(2) Linux module: uli526x

Background: The 8201 PHY is just a transceiver and to give it complete network functionality will need a few other things such as ... a MAC address. These 'other' things reside on the Southbridge. And actually: the key for the driver is to acces the Ethernet MAC device on the Southbridge. This will get Networking operational.

So, we need to know the register layout of the MAC Ethernet on the Southbridge. In particular, is it uli526x in ALL cases, or are there cases where it is something else? And, if it is something else then what is it?

:P Many many thanks in advance!! :)

Best

(1) Asus P4RD1-MX - ULi/ALi M1573

(2) Linux module: uli526x

the module was loaded, but the NIC didn't work. Actually, the connection LED of my internet router was off when eth0 being loaded. I'm using KNOPPIX 5.0.1 LIVE CD.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here is a test if this driver could work for your RTL8201CL - under windows or linux look for device/vendor ID. If you have Vendor:10b9 Device 5263/5261 - The this driver should work.

I was about half-way through BUT just had a major setback - one of my code files got corrupt and then got lost upon volume repair. So it looks like I ll need to redo it - looking at the bright side: should be faster second time around...

Best

Too Bad i have not the right id's ;)

NVNET_DEV0269

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_02691849&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_02691849

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_068000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_0680

Iknow when i installed the forcedeth.kext and put the id : 0x026910DE the card was reconized but i couldnt get a mac adres and could connect to my router when i restarted later my system (OSX) 10.4.8 (kernal 8.8.1) said there was a problem with the forcedeth.kext and i was recomended to uninstall.

Do you know a solution is this a realtek lan?? My specs of my board says so

- Realtek PHY RTL8201CL

- Speed: 10/100 Ethernet

- Supports Wake-On-LAN

link to the site : http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...G-SATA2&s=n

Thanx :-)

Too Bad i have not the right id's :lol:

NVNET_DEV0269

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_02691849&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_02691849

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_068000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_0680

Iknow when i installed the forcedeth.kext and put the id : 0x026910DE the card was reconized but i couldnt get a mac adres and could connect to my router when i restarted later my system (OSX) 10.4.8 (kernal 8.8.1) said there was a problem with the forcedeth.kext and i was recomended to uninstall.

Do you know a solution is this a realtek lan?? My specs of my board says so

- Realtek PHY RTL8201CL

- Speed: 10/100 Ethernet

- Supports Wake-On-LAN

link to the site : http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...G-SATA2&s=n

Thanx :-)

Hi, unfortunately you are right! Under Linux you'd be using:

forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.57.
 PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:14.0 to 64
 forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
 eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 0103c:30b7 bound to 0000:00:14.

So there is some hope that the mac forcedeth version could be ammended to support your card.

I d recommend gettign the source of the mac forcedeth driver and seeing if anything obvious stands out: e.g. device id's. You could try compiling it with DEBUG options, and that should point you to possible problems.

BUT, FROM WHAT you are saying, it is ALSO possible that the problem is a simple permissions issue. After you have updated the ids in the forcedeth driver, did you fix permissions and invalidate the cache?

sudo su
diskutil repairPermissions /
touch /System/Library/Extensions

Try this first.

Best.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these chipsets as well in an Asrock 939 Dual-SATA2 motherboard. See here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...al-SATA2&s=

I installed Jas 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 and it works fine EXCEPT networking and sound.

Obviously, no networking is a big problem so I'm *very* interested in your work on this chipset. Do you have any updates?

Let me know how I can assist. I think I have an Ubuntu Live CD somewhere if that will help.

Thanks for your work!

I have one of these chipsets as well in an Asrock 939 Dual-SATA2 motherboard. See here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Mode...al-SATA2&s=

I installed Jas 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3 and it works fine EXCEPT networking and sound.

Obviously, no networking is a big problem so I'm *very* interested in your work on this chipset. Do you have any updates?

Let me know how I can assist. I think I have an Ubuntu Live CD somewhere if that will help.

Thanks for your work!

Hi thanx for your offer. I will keep you in mind for the test version.

Best.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have a VIA P4M900 mainboard with VIA VT8237A chipset.

LAN Realtek RTL8201CL and Sound Codec Realtec ALC861VD on board.

I use Linux UBUNTU in virtual mode with VMWare and no in native mode.

My OSX86 attempt for Lan................

Thanks to you

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I realized I need to clear up something... The driver will actually work for the uli526x class of 'MAC' chips. The RTL8201CL is only a PHY and by itself not capable of network communication. If under Linux with lsmod you get uli526x, then this driver would work for you.

Sorry about any misunderstandings originating from the thread title. Initially I had thought that this driver could be sub-classed for any 'MAC' chip using the RTL8201CL, but the uli526x code is turning out to be too specific to be easily subclassed. It would at best serve as a port example.

Best

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...