I've broken my MacBook screen :(

TonyKL

20 posts in this topic

I turned my MacBook on last night to find that there is a crack in the screen.

Must have done this in transit - damn annoyed.

Is there anything I can do to get this fixed? Will Apple help or will I have to find a 3rd party to replace the screen?

ANY advice would be great as I'm not sure what to do. I can still use the MacBook but the crack is pretty annoying.

TIA, T

Its a MacBook so will be under the 1 year warranty (dont have the extended 2 year applecare) but I wasnt sure if they would help being accidental damage and not a faulty product.

Can I call or do I need to go to the apple store?

go to the apple store and tell them the truth, they dont like people who lie and make up stories i have had many ipods(3) fixed when i was skating and they got broke, one had a huge dent in the side and the guy still fixed it, and if that guy doesnt fix come back another day to a different guy, its truly up to the guy behind the counter if he wants to fix it and if he is having a bad day then he just might not wanna deal with it so i suggest go to the apple and just tell them what happen. i went with my friend to the apple store to get his ipod fixed becuase the screen was cracked, the guy said no so he sent it in to apple which costs a lil bit of money but it came back fixed. it worked for him to send it in and if all else fails i would send it in.

edit- i would suggest to set up and appointment before going becuase you could wait there for hours(no exaggeration) and you can still upgrade to the 2 year applecare as long as it is still under the one year warranty, it is worth and will pay off. i buy a warranty form everything from my phone, to my xbox 360, laptop, and the rest of my electronics stuff, it saves lives

Edited by GBK.Xscape

Thanks, I will make an appointment and go and see apple. Didnt bother with the applecare 3 year warranty as previous laptops all have problems in the 1st year. Also its only an £800 laptop so didnt think the extra £200 or whather was worth it.

Will let you guys know what they say.

• 1 month later...
Thanks, I will make an appointment and go and see apple. Didnt bother with the applecare 3 year warranty as previous laptops all have problems in the 1st year. Also its only an £800 laptop so didnt think the extra £200 or whather was worth it.

Will let you guys know what they say.

TonyKL, what was the outcome ?

Don't listen to this {censored}, Applecare doesnt care if you broke your screen, they wont do anything but tell you you have to pay $900 for a $250 screen repair. For te full story of my "Great" Experiance with apple care, please look at this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=27618&

and this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31826&

I even had the three year coverage plan, and they still treat me as if in a second rate customer. Apple makes great hardware, but dont do {censored} to help you when you need it.

Edited by Bartboy919

TonyKL, what was the outcome ?

I didnt bother going to see an apple guru as Bartboy919 said I'm pretty sure they would tell me to sod off.

I called my home insurance as I have accidental damage cover and it has been sent away to them for repair.

Thankfully they have sent it to Apple for repair so it will be done with all the right parts and properly.

I did have an excess to pay of £60 but that's a lot less than fixing it myself.

Unfortunately Apple seem to be taking AGES as I havent got it back yet :whistle:

You got lucky, as for me, being a student means very small amount of money which means no repair fot me. Im still living with that watermark. It now seems as if my macbook is chipping away, in the bottom left corner right above the infared port, the thing is chipping. I will post a picture later in the day, It also seems as if my macbook is bulging in some places. This is the last time I buy anything from apple. My parents have already denounced them because they won't fix my screen, my brothers ipod screen got cracked and they wont fix that. It may just be that the so called "Genius Bars" in Southern California are run by douche bags. Though they did fix my logic board when the Ethernet port wasn't working.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences. My wife and I just bought a MacBook 7 days ago and have been using it only as a desktop until we get all files transferred. No liquids near it, no pets, no children, and no pressure outside of closing the lid. There was a crack in it after 7 days. The Mac Store and IT phone department were so condescending it was hurtful. However, the sales department treated us with respect and patience, even helping accommodate us, though not making us whole. I know this is not the experience many mac users have had, but the screen problems - unlike what I was told in an accusatory tone by IT management - have had documented problems you can find on other posts and at macintouch's website. These 7 days are the last of our Mac experience. Thanks all for you postings.

My MacBook has been delivered - woohoo - I'm happy again (well apart from a bloody cold and the fact that the MacBook is at home whilst I'm here at work.) Will check it over tonight and I hope its all good from now on.

Well I got home and had a look (almost didnt want to as I had a feeling I wouldnt be happy) and guess what?

The screen has been replaced but what screen it is I've no idea as its not the nice screen that the macbooks come with anyway :thumbsup_anim:

So off to apple Regent Street today :)

Going to have a look at the ones on display if I can kick away one of the free-loading chimps.

Also noticed some fine cracks in the surround where they would have removed to replace the screen - not happy :D

• 3 years later...
Well I got home and had a look (almost didnt want to as I had a feeling I wouldnt be happy) and guess what?

The screen has been replaced but what screen it is I've no idea as its not the nice screen that the macbooks come with anyway :D

So off to apple Regent Street today :thumbsup_anim:

Going to have a look at the ones on display if I can kick away one of the free-loading chimps.

Also noticed some fine cracks in the surround where they would have removed to replace the screen - not happy :D

Wow this is a really old thread, but what happened with your Macbook? Did they replace the bezel with the scratches on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything I can do to get this fixed? Will Apple help or will I have to find a 3rd party to replace the screen?

ANY advice would be great as I'm not sure what to do. I can still use the MacBook but the crack is pretty annoying.

TIA, T

I am sorry to heat that ,but you can buy a new one may be.hehe

TIA, T

I've only heard of Apple replacing screens for free like 2 out of a thousand times. It's worth a shot to go to the Genius bar to see what they'll say. Who knows, crazier things have happened! At least at that point you won't feel so bad paying a couple hundred dollars to a third party company instead of $500+ to Apple.

There's a company in the states called CrackedMacScreen.com. My sister used them before when she was in college. They paid for overnight shipping from her to them and back again. Pretty smooth service.

It sucks to pay any amount of money when you have Applecare, but Apple isn't in the mood of fixing screens for free. Hopefully one day! (fingers crossed!)