OWC markets "First Tablet Mac"

15 posts in this topic

Today, manufacturer Axiotron and Mac accessory guru Other World Computing announced the new ModBook. Some sort of MacBook guts in a new Wacom-enabled case marketing it as the first Mac Tablet.

Specs so far:

The Axiotron ModBook™

The ModBook is the first and only Mac tablet computer solution!

• Write and draw directly on screen!
  • True pen & handwriting recognition
  • Built in iSight Camera
  • Integrated CD/DVD combo drive
  • The ONLY Mac solution with an optional built-in Global Positioning System
  • Aircraft grade magnesium alloy for all terrain use

Engineered in the U.S. by a renowned team of German and American designers, the ModBook's condensed form factor and integrated pen-based user experience makes it the ultimate solution for applications and situations where a keyboard only gets in the way.

Ideal for: Mobile Users, Business Professionals, Artists, Students, and Technology Leaders!

It will be debued at OWC's booth at Macworld, the afternoon after Steve's keynote.

=)

EDIT: the Press Release from Axiotron.

post-20101-1167945242_thumb.jpg

Edited by John the Geek

it does seem really cool and its neat to see a computer made to run os x exclusively and not made by apple them selfs.

I wonder how fast it is, does it have wifi? bluetooth? any i/o? i need some specs. But definetly want one!

edit::

well i took a closer look at the veiled pic and...it looks like a slot loading drive on the side...

Edited by xfsasx

it looks like a moded mackbook (pro?) so it will have everything you possible could find in that orignal notebook and more :thumbsup_anim:

it sounds pricey...

This one loks liek an Tablet Mac, its not form Aplle.. soo? THIS is one of the best things happening, more ppl creathing OSX devices..

I hope its no too pricey because the students are the first market for this device.

Apple dont want to risk in the tablet market, so other ppl are taking the plunge, if everything goes well, you know, Apple is gonna buy them, if not, then Apple will no suffer the loses.

I hope Apple sell it in tehir online stores and Retail stores, it needs Apple push to start ok.

I have high hopes for this

I estimate that they just took a MacBook out of it's case and made a new case for it to enable the Wacom-enabled display. It's not too different than what some companies have been doing for years retrofitting iMacs with touch-screens for schools, etc. The difference here is that they completely threw out the original case to do it. Apple warranty is now void, but as long as OWC offers a warranty it's good.

Maybe they bought all of the MacBooks with yellowing cases at a great price? =D

ive read on other forums that all it is is a macbook or macbook pro that has been opened and had the cas,keyboard,screen removed then they added a touchscreen and a new case...

osx can only be installed on apple hardware if this company made their own product that ran osx they would get their asses sued by apple until the end of time

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

thats why its called modbook, modified macbook ?

Apple should be endorsening it, it have a booth on Macworld...

It would be weird if they didn't go though. It would be like MS skipping over a Windows convention.

There used to be a MacWorld Boston (formerly New York), which was eventually canceled because Apple refused to show.

Well, that's a bit of a different animal.

The original Boston location grew too big, eventually filling two different locations for the one conference. In 1998 they moved it to New York and Apple loved it ("the big apple") and it had several good years there. When IDG moved the conference back to Boston in 2004, Apple said that they would not participate because they preferred New York. The conference then shrank and flopped until it was canceled altogether in 2005.

It worked out for the best though, because Apple really stepped up the presence of their own World Wide Developer Conference and now uses both to make major product announcements, one for the geeks at WWDC and one for the consumers at MacWorld San Francisco.

I estimate that they just took a MacBook out of it's case and made a new case for it to enable the Wacom-enabled display. It's not too different than what some companies have been doing for years retrofitting iMacs with touch-screens for schools, etc. The difference here is that they completely threw out the original case to do it. Apple warranty is now void, but as long as OWC offers a warranty it's good.

Maybe they bought all of the MacBooks with yellowing cases at a great price? =D

That's exactly what it'll be!

My thoughts are, if they openned it up and ripped stuff out, paid for a new screen and put everything together, and if they want it to sell, they've gotten some pricing deal with Apple. Otherwise, the thing's gonna be hella-expensive.

Also, they should have called it touchbook. modbook sounds lame.

-Urby