Fit leopard on 4.7GB DVD-R?

trav1085

46 posts in this topic

For those of you that were asking about a method of installing Leopard without burning it to a DL DVD, here is how I did it.

1) Startup Carbon Copy Cloner (google it)

2) Mount the Leopard disk image (dmg)

3) In CCC, select source as "Leopard mounted image" and destination as any partition on your Hardrive or External Drive.

4) In CCC prefs, select make Bootable and DO NOT select Erase Volume. (if your destination volume is empty, who cares).

5) Press Clone.

6) When finished, go in Start Up Disk and select that install you just did and RESTART.

7) Leopard install appears and lets you install it where ever you want.

Just select your destination and cutomize it if you want .

8) You know the rest...enjoy and don't waste a DL DVD for nothing.

PS. This is how I did it on my PPC G5 iMAC.

Enjoy!

here, u can install w/out dvd

QUOTE(2mass @ Aug 14 2006, 06:56 PM)

it looks as if it works just usind disk utility and choosing convert, and converting the image to a read / write image, and then just remove xcode..

that won't do because the size is still the same!

How To:

get CarbonCopyCloner (CCC)

1.) create a new dmg-Image with Disk Utility (DVD-size, writable)

2.) Open the Leopard-Dmg with CCC and choose the new empty image created with Disk Utility as Aim.

3.) remove XCode-Folder

4.) click clone.

=> you'll get a new DVD-sized image.

don't forget to enable "bootable" in CCC-Prefs.

enjoy

here you go, complete instructions

Wow, lots of post. I was gone for a couple of minutes. I enabled root access, changed the password. Then logged in as root. Same error message.

I'm wasn't aware of the topic about installing already, so I'll go there or follow the advice quote on this topic.

Thanks, it worked. Except I forgot to edit some files, as I'm installing on my G3 iMac. I'll search the forums for that, as I know there is something on there.