Missing Space... How to get back

jake123

9 posts in this topic

I have made two partitions... the one for mac is 40gb... I've tried freeing up space, and i cannot figure out where all of my space went... If you look at the picture attached, you can see that i should be using like 4.8GB of space... yet it says i am using 24 gig... how can i free up my missing 20gb... i just doesn't make sense to me....

Also, is there a solution... my computer goes to sleep... yet it resumes when i open the lid, BUT i can move the mouse... yet i cannot clikc any thing... its frozen i have to Alt + Ctrl + power key it... and it reboots.....

Thanks

post-27942-1167099018_thumb.png

Edited by Zeke

Empty your trash, in case there is some huge stuff in there. And get a copy of a utility that will let you turn on viewing hidden files and folders in Finder, because there is probably some hidden stuff eating up your space.

I'm attaching one called "Blind" that adds a hidden file toggle button to Finder. Mount this dmg and then I think you drag the icon to the button bar area of Finder to install it. Sorry, but I don't remember where I got this from, or else I would link you the site so you could read some about it first.

Blind_1.1.dmg

Guest bikedude880
I'm attaching one called "Blind" that adds a hidden file toggle button to Finder. Mount this dmg and then I think you drag the icon to the button bar area of Finder to install it. Sorry, but I don't remember where I got this from, or else I would link you the site so you could read some about it first.

Blind_1.1.dmg

The link to the developers website is here: http://www.squart.de/software/blind/

Also remember that the OS is allocating some space on the fly in the partition for paging files, and that it is setting aside a hidden file equal in size to your amount of RAM for the sleep/hibernate stuff, which does not work very well on Hackintoshs as you have discovered. If you decide to give up on sleep/hibernate, there are some hacks you can do to turn the capability off and recover that amount of hard disk space. Post here if you'd like info on that.

And thanks for the developer's link, bikedude880. I googled "Blind" and could not find it. It is a spiffy little utility that should be built in to Finder in the first place.

Also remember that the OS is allocating some space on the fly in the partition for paging files, and that it is setting aside a hidden file equal in size to your amount of RAM for the sleep/hibernate stuff, which does not work very well on Hackintoshs as you have discovered. If you decide to give up on sleep/hibernate, there are some hacks you can do to turn the capability off and recover that amount of hard disk space. Post here if you'd like info on that.

And thanks for the developer's link, bikedude880. I googled "Blind" and could not find it. It is a spiffy little utility that should be built in to Finder in the first place.

Aewwwweeeeeeeee!!!!! SWEEEEETTTT I got 14gb back (may not seem like much, but on a 60gb notebook 20win/40mac it makes a huge difference!)

I have a few more questions

in (root)\private\var\vm\ <- there are a few files, that are over a gig each... can i delete them... or what

Also, is there a way to remove some of these files, they seem like temp files? Thanks

p.s. I copied the program into app's and put it on my dock!

THANKS!!

thats your virtual memory, it should delete/resize itself if its not needed.

Yes, I'd like to delete it.... Is there a way to change a setting.... to decreese it?

Also, I have a 12" notebook, not many things can be open at once, at max i'm using 700 megs of my gig of memory.... So, if i can turn it off entirely.. i'd be nice :)

Also, is there a solution... my computer goes to sleep... yet it resumes when i open the lid, BUT i can move the mouse... yet i cannot clikc any thing... its frozen i have to Alt + Ctrl + power key it... and it reboots.....

I'm having a similar mouse issue. Sleeps, comes back just fine.. but the mouse actually starts working backwards! Up, moves it down, etc. Also the tracking is super fast and I can barely control it. Sometimes relogging works, sometimes I have to reboot. Anyone know what causes this or how to get around it?

Dell Laptop

Pentium M Dothan 1.6ghz

Intel 910GML chipset

Intel GMA 900 video