Which one offers the best free mail service?

Which one has the best free mail service?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Which one has the best free mail service?

• Gmail
    • Yahoo
    • Aim
    • Hotmail

26 posts in this topic

I agree that gmail is pretty fine, but it doesn't have the best interface. I like yahoo's outlook express-like interface better. Hotmail (windows live beta) has a similar interface to that of yahoo beta, but yahoo is definitely faster. Yahoo also seems to be more compatible with firefox. Aim has the most polished looks, it would definitely be much better if it didn't open new windows for every mail.

Aim is the only one among these four, which offers pop3 and imap at the same time. Gmail only offers pop3. As far as I know, hotmail doesn't offer anything and yahoo only offers a pop3 emulator which enables email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc. to download e-mail from yahoo accounts. You can get it here.

I also voted for gmail at the begining, google definitely offers more services than any other. But if they were only web based mail clients, I think aim or yahoo would win.

I selected gmail for a couple reasons.

Yahoo, I only used it for a little while but to me it seemed like the MySpace of e-mail. Too many ads and too much non-sense.

AIM is just AIM. I didn't like it because (mainly in Windows) they began connecting all of their (tons and tons) of apps with it. Every two seconds I'd get a message saying I got a new e-mail and more than often, it was just a AOL junk message. It also seemed more like a maze just to get into my inbox. To be quite honest, I use AIM more than any other chat service, although I hate it the most. Too controlling.

Hotmail is what I've used the longest and finally gave up on. I'm under a @msn account but it still works in hotmail. What frustrated me is how I wanted to use Hotmail's POP settings and be able to view my mail in Apple Mail. Right now the bill is somewhere around $45 and they're telling me I need to pay extra for that option :P Beside that feature, they hardly had any others. No exporting contacts, basically no POP, exporting mail became a problem, and all in all, I was getting tired of hotmail.com.

Gmail FTW <_>

I actually have had a few issues with Gmail's POP settings. Everytime I send a message in gmail.com, not Mail, I always get sent a copy for whatever reason. Also, If I ever send myself a message, it never arrives at Mail. Hmmm...

Gmail, bud.

i'm sorry, i used to use hotmail, but M$ tried to offer me all these services that i really wasnt interested in, and cluttering up the screen not to mention making everything really difficult to find. Gmail offers simplicity, and powerful features for sorting your mail + blocking spam. And at the end of the day, thats what you want.

plus, it feels kinda "exclusive" as its still invitation only ; )

as for AIM/AOL, i wouldnt touch that sh*t if you paid me!

jordn

In some ways Gmail kinda is an imap server. If you choose the option, leave messages on server, then it acts like an imap server although it is still pop protocol. I used to use it to host my domain mail, but after i set up my own qmail/courier imap server, it was bye bye gmail.

Gmail --> fastest. easiest. usefull free mail service.

big storage, no restrictions. very user friendly web interface, with replies saved as one message.

its really convenient.

Edited by boo50

• 2 weeks later...

Gmail PERIOD! Gmail has an ever-increasing storage system and right now you get around 3 GB of storage whereas Yahoo Mail is only 1 GB. Gmail offers an instant messaging client for other Gmail users built in to the email client. Gmail is FREE. Everything that Google makes owns all the other competition.

Edited by coolmatt49

Gmail PERIOD! Gmail has an ever-increasing storage system and right now you get around 3 GB of storage whereas Yahoo Mail is only 1 GB. Gmail offers an instant messaging client for other Gmail users built in to the email client. Gmail is FREE. Everything that Google makes owns all the other competition.

agree..only just it needs invitation..

i have gmail account..those who wants gmail invitation can PM me...

I've got to go with Windows Live Mail. I think Gmail's UI is too basic, the one in WLM is a looks better and is just as fast. Gmail needs to implement a preview (reading) pane and to allow for more customization. And for people that want their mail on their desktop, WLM has a desktop client, which can handle mail from other accounts and providers.

I use Yahoo but I like Gmail more for one reason it does not go down. I would switch to Gmail but all my contacts and web sites are on Yahoo it would take me weeks to switch. I just wish Yahoo would get their act together and make a more stable email service it seems to go down at least once a week :)

Pick one and explain why :)

It is simple. I use gmail because it is:

1) Free

2) No spamming

3) It is hilarious. I mean the 2gb and growing stuff:D

4) U can upload fast some small files u want to share.

5) Very easy to use

5) Looks simple

6) and so on and so on. I think there is a million reasons for WHY I use gmail.

• 3 months later...

Gmail for me. I have a Yahoo account as well, and I think my hotmail account has expired (never liked it anyways). The reason why I selected Gmail was because of its simplicity, and storage space. 2.849 GB is awesome space, and allows you to send some high size files, thanks to this much storage. I also subscribe to Google Alerts on some wide range of topics to keep me updated on tech news, Apple, Microsoft, businesses, etc, etc., so its very convienent for me. Plus the google desktop notifier is an added bonus, and looks pretty slick in OS X when it notifies you.

I used to be a hotmail user, but I didnt like Hotmail, becuase Microsoft was cheaping out its customers with back then 200MB of filespace....while Gmail offered 1Gb....this was around 2004 I think. Although registration for gmail is through invitation only, I managed to get an invite, and never looked back at hotmail since then.

That being said, Yahoo's UI is overall better than Gmail, although I prefer the simplistic look of Gmail, than a little Microsoft outlooky style of Yahoo. Windows Live Hotmail looks good, but I havent used that, just the regular MSN hotmail. I never liked AOL from day 1, thats all I'm going to say.

I've used Hotmail for years and am fairly happy with it. I am considering going over to gMail but I just thought the basic lack of a preview is seriously off putting. gMail looks worse than Hotmail before the Live stage (when Hotmail was still Hotmail). It just looks like paper. Nothing cool about it. All features and no style makes gMail a dull mail service.

Yahoo's UI looks really good. Not sure whether it's better than Hotmail but they both looks great and easy to use. And the storage space is sufficient for most people on both I would say. Why does anyone need more than 1G? But in Hotmail I've got 2GB and using 1% of that.

The lack of pop3 in Hotmail is disappointing and also currently MS Live is really slow but that could just be due to them (still) being in Beta. But one thing that really stops me moving to anything is MSN Messenger. Everyone I know is using MSN Messenger and asking them to use gMail or something else just isn't going to happen. Another thing is that I've had my Hotmail account for something close to 10 years. I've grown attached to it and can't see myself not going into Hotmail the first thing in the morning any more.

AcePlayer, if you look around you can find large amounts of greasemonkey scripts that create all these features in gmail like preview, tagging, etc.

Not exactly sure what greasemonkey scripts are (sounds like a Firefox extensions or something I've heard of) but I'll look into. If I can get it looks just the others with little difficulty then I would certainly vote gMail. Until then I'm withholding my vote.