Just a hypothetical question here regarding...

natedogg

5 posts in this topic

So just a hypothetical question here. I'm really digging OSX after playing with it for awhile, so I'm thinking about buying a mac. Only problem is this, I enjoy playing games, granted I'm not a hard core nuthead gamer but I do enjoy having my gaming rig. The only solution I can see, since I can't afford to have a mac pro and a gaming rig is combine them but there in lies the problem. Since direct X 10 is on the horizon I'd want a direct X 10 card in my mac so that when I'm in windows I can enjoy the latest in gaming bliss.

So here's a what if. What if I bought a mac pro and installed a PC Geforce 8800 card into it? Think we could get it working? Natit? Mac-Videa, Titan? I really need some input. I've googled and I know people have reported success in bootcamp and windows, no surprise, but not in mac, also no surprise as there is an obvious lack of drivers.

So anyones take on this? Worth it?

Or....other option. I'm looking at just keeping my PC and running my current setup but swapping out my x1900xtx with a Geforce 8800. Ideas? I also was looking at the Evga 680I motherboards but found little on here about compatability. Quite honestly I'd like to give apple some money and go the other way around, but only if I can keep my games!

So I'll let the collective pool of genius maul this one over and get back to me.

Thanks guys!

I really doubt the current OS X driver for Nvidia will support the new 8800 series. Once that situation changes, perhaps in a few weeks at MacWorld SF, then it should be no big problem. However, someone will probably have to go through the process of getting another IO Reg dump from a Mac Pro (one with an 8800 series type card) and finding the right keys and such.

I agree with aberracus. I'm making due with a 7800gtx in a Mac Pro which is no x1900xt and I'm fairly happy with the performance.

Can't wait till one of the latest gen cards from either nVidia or ATI is available for the Intel Macs, or better yet, vid card makers start making universal vid cards.

It's only a matter of time.

there wont be dx10 games for a while, so dont bother getting a card just for that (nvidia released that card way before its time, there is no actual dx10 market for the moment).

get yourself a decent card for the gaming you want now, a 7600 gt is more than enough for your casual "hard core" gaming (recent games at high resolution).

you could even get a 7900 or something if you feel you need more, but dont waste your money just yet on a 8800.