A Comment on the ATI x200 Chipset

8 posts in this topic

I would just like to take a minute hear and speak out for all of the people out there who are stuck with systems based on the ATI x200 Chipset.

DO NOT BUY ANY SYSTEM BASED ON IT

What a pain in the :pirate2: this thing is! Thanks to the dillegent efforts of some of the programmers and compilers we finally got IDE functionality around release 10.4.6. Unfortunately it seems that we will most likely never be able to have QE/CI functionality. ATI in its infinite wisdom did us all the favor of releasing a chipset that is unique from all the ones both before and after it.

What that means is while progress is being made in great strides for not only nVidia chipsets, but quite literally several generations prior and every generation after the x200. For example if you have a Radeon 9600 or higher you can get QE/CI for every Radeon UP TO the x200. Then there have also been great advances for everything from the x300 chipset up!

The x200 with its unique designs apparently even defied most of the Linux community to build a decent driver. It took ATI releasing their own proprietary driver before x200 user had accelerated video under Linux. Unless the AMD/Apple deal is true (I REALLY doubt it) I highly doubt we will ever see a proper video driver.

It's not like you'll die if you don't have QE/CI. Get over it.

Well actually, I have a brain tumor, and I cant aford the xrays.

I was going to use my osx86 system and my scanner to try to save my own life.

BUT all I have is this 9200 card. DOH!

We all cross the finish line eventually.

So?

Everything else works, its not like you'll die if you don't have QE/CI. Get over it.

[Laptop with X200 chipset owner]

Um maybe if all you use your laptop for is spreadsheets and word docs QE/CI doesn't matter to you. Personally I like to be a little more robust in my use of a computer. Without accelerated video, there are many many apps out there that simply will not run. So you'll pardon me if I don't simply "get over it".

true that, ive gotten my laptop as far as showing the right resolution, and getting wireless working, but doing most things is FAR from how it would be on a mac... since then, ive reverted to Vista, then XP... reason being, i need stability/compatability... unfortunatly i cant have this quite yet with Macosx, if the day comes where CI/QE works, ill honestly probably switch to macosx full time...

QE/CI does matter to me, GL non support (QE/CI base) in hardware prevents me from using anything graphics related (except Photoshop, since it does not use CI). But its not as if I expect it to be supported. The nature of OSX and Apple hardware simply mean some hardware will not be supported until someone writes code for it.

If it really is that important to you, fire up XCode and start including IOKit.h.

Or, accept that some hardware isnt supported, and boot back into Windows.

I truly sympathize for the developers over the ATI chipsets. In my opinion, software developers are overworked and under appreciated.

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD laptop with the Radeon Xpress 1150 chipset. It's based on the 200m. Thankfully, I do not plan on installing OS X on it.

Though it may not be Unix friendly, the chipset has the best onboard graphics for notebooks out there. It is well suited for casual mobile gaming on a budget.