Trying to Upgrade OS from Mojave to Ventura OS ..running into issues

Jacen Kun

8 posts in this topic

New to this stuff .. But My Son insisted in buying me a Intel Pc to try and make one of these.. So here I am..

what I have So far 

is a i9-9000Kf 3.6 can not do Graphics CPU,

On a MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC Board

Memory 32 GB

Graphics Sapphire Nitro Radeon Rx 6700

2 Ms Drives of each a TB

one with Windows 10 running and other 

one has clover installed Mojave Working fine off this post info..of basically same Mother board ..

I use Clover to go into either OS ..

the issue i have is trying to upgrade to Ventura . I followed the guides made the flash drive..used new Clover 5151 but still get  installing issue [EB.RH.LRH | P !] Err (0xF) <- EB.LD.LF erros..using Verbos

if not it just freezes up at Apple image

no matter what I try.. 

annoying that my EFI files work fine with Mojave but not for Ventura installation 

or maybe my bios needs its Settings changed..?

or both..

hope someone can point me in the right Direction.. 

thank you 

Edited by Jacen Kun

15 minutes ago, Slice said:

"basically same motherboard"? So this is another computer, isn't it?

MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC is the Mother board I am using.. the link I used was also a  MSI MPG Z390I GAMING motherboard that offered help and EFI tips and files.. which worked great ..

these MSI motherboards I assume also have the same chip set ..right ? 

can run same ram type ,,audio, ethernet, bluetooth chips and same type of Intel CPU is my understanding in my small mind it is basically the same motherboard ..

their may be some small differences like the amount of ports and USB's you can use amount of ram slots or PCI slots..

or do you think that are very different?

I hope that answered the questioned ..

I'm trying to Upgrade the Mojave to Ventura.. still can't get past installation so I am asking for help..or advice.

thanks

Edited by Jacen Kun

yes..but it see it as this Graphics  Display 7 MB

is it the video card?

I thought for sure AMD Radeon Cards work well in Macs..

grrrr 

kinda stuck with it.. my CPU is not the Graphics type    

hmmmm 

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6900-and-rx-6800-gpus-get-support-in-macos-big-sur-beta

so I need to upgrade it to a rx6900? or rx6800? 

Edited by Jacen Kun

14 hours ago, Jacen Kun said:

yes..but it see it as this Graphics  Display 7 MB

is it the video card?

I thought for sure AMD Radeon Cards work well in Macs..

grrrr 

kinda stuck with it.. my CPU is not the Graphics type    

hmmmm 

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6900-and-rx-6800-gpus-get-support-in-macos-big-sur-beta

so I need to upgrade it to a rx6900? or rx6800? 

Yes, 6800 and 6900 have no problems.

6 hours ago, Slice said:

Yes, 6800 and 6900 have no problems.

poopyy... well this May explain why trying to upgrade the OS from Mojave too Ventura will always Crashed or should I say Hung at start of install .

.I'll assume it can not find a Video card....

is my guess..

well My 6700 will soon go back on Ebay. 

grrrrr

so when ever I get a 6800 Radeon..and then try an Upgrade on the OS.. i'll Update this then..  hopefully in next month or 2,,

thanks

Edited by Jacen Kun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason,

I have a have just finished updating two of my machines from Majove to Ventura including a Windows/MacOS dual boot system based on a Z390 motherboard. It was a tedious process and eventually involved migrating from Clover to OpenCore. In hindsight, it would have been significantly quicker if I had migrate from Clover to OpenCore at the start of the process but I was initially putting off the what I thought was an overwhelming set of instructions just to swap bootloaders.  I took me few days to initially get working  system correctly setup as I get endlessly cycling though instructions that appeared to loop back on themselves. Now having been through the process, I can build a new system from scratch in a few of hours including setting up WiFi and Bluetooth using USB dongles. An important lesson, re-learnt along the way, was to remove the Windows hard disk during the migration to opencore and the initial migration from Majove to Ventura.