[Solved] Update to Ventura 13.4 - bluetooth no longer works ( BCM94352HMB )

Niko NDP

97 posts in this topic

It appears that BT is not working on my HackBookPro6,2 after upgrading to 13.4.  In 13.3.1, I was able to turn BT on and off and I was able to pair with an external BT speaker (I didn't test BT beyond external audio).  In 13.4, I am unable to reliably turn on BT (sometimes I can toggle the BT slider, but I don't see evidence that BT is actually on) and when I am able to toggle the BT slider, I do not see available pairing devices.  I, too, am using BCM94352HMB.  I haven't spent any time diagnosing / debugging yet.  In Ventura, I am loading the following kexts (in this order, although I'm not sure it matters) with OC 0.9.2:

• BrcmFirmwareData.kext 2.6.6
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext 2.6.6
  • Bluetooth-Spoof.kext (latest version I think - Unfortunately the kext isn't assigned a version)
  • BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.6

My Bluetooth Transport is being properly set to USB

EDIT: This appears to be the "bluetoothd keeps crashing" problem:

BlueTooth IOReg (Ventura 13.4, BCM94352HMB)

Spoiler

239745940-7e7c66e1-202a-45e3-b375-99c2ca7aadab.png.d48d78f8e916afc35d31f3a42d31c3a3.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

1 ora fa, Deeveedee ha scritto:

Sembra che BT non funzioni sul mio HackBookPro6,2 dopo l'aggiornamento a 13.4. In 13.3.1, sono stato in grado di attivare e disattivare BT e sono stato in grado di accoppiare con un altoparlante BT esterno (non ho testato BT oltre l'audio esterno). In 13.4, non sono in grado di attivare in modo affidabile BT (a volte posso attivare il dispositivo di scorrimento BT, ma non vedo prove che BT sia effettivamente attivo) e quando sono in grado di attivare o disattivare il dispositivo di scorrimento BT, non vedo l'associazione disponibile dispositivi. Anch'io sto usando BCM94352HMB. Non ho ancora passato del tempo a diagnosticare / eseguire il debug. In Ventura, sto caricando i seguenti kexts (in questo ordine, anche se non sono sicuro che sia importante) con OC 0.9.2:

• BrcmFirmwareData.kext 2.6.6
  • BrcmPatchRAM3.kext 2.6.6
  • Bluetooth-Spoof.kext (l'ultima versione credo - Sfortunatamente al kext non è assegnata una versione)
  • BlueToolFixup.kext 2.6.6

Il mio trasporto Bluetooth è impostato correttamente su USB

EDIT: questo sembra essere il problema "bluetoothd continua a bloccarsi":

BlueTooth IOReg (Ventura 13.4, BCM94352HMB)

Nascondi contenuti

239745940-7e7c66e1-202a-45e3-b375-99c2ca7aadab.png.d48d78f8e916afc35d31f3a42d31c3a3.png

Thanks Deeveedee, you are in the same position as me, I also updated all kexts and also OC to the latest version but nothing changed. I guarantee that until version 13.3.1a everything worked perfectly and here I write it:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niko NDP said:

After upgrading to Ventura 13.4 the Bluetooth does not work.

My card is BCM94352HMB the wifi works perfectly.

I updated the kext related to the latest versions but nothing.

Could anyone help me?

Found this on reddit

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 22.11.07.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Niko NDP said:

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't work for me.  😞

Can you check the config.plist? it should look like this

<key>bluetoothExternalDongleFailed</key>
 <data>AA==</data>
 <key>bluetoothInternalControllerInfo</key>
 <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>

Edited by t2m
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, t2m said:

Can you check the config.plist? it should look like this

<key>bluetoothExternalDongleFailed</key>
 <data>AA==</data>
 <key>bluetoothInternalControllerInfo</key>
 <data>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>

Yes, exactly like that.

57 minutes ago, Niko NDP said:

Yes, exactly like that.

Ok. You did have it working before the update. So just to double check that you have the correct files in place https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

I'm still on Big Sur as main and have Ventura in testing atm. Not sure where to go if everything above is correctly in place.

Edit. Maybe Apple update the driver and you need to add vendor & device id (After re-reading the github page i don't think this could be the issue)

Edited by t2m

16 hours ago, t2m said:

Found this on reddit

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 22.11.07.png

worked for me: Dell DW1560 on HP Z240 workstation. I have 2 registered devices: beats studio buds and 1st gen magic mouse.

Buds worked without issues after adding those 2 entries on NVRAM

Magic mouse worked again after unpairing and re-pairing procedure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, t2m said:

Ok. You did have it working before the update. So just to double check that you have the correct files in place https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM

I'm still on Big Sur as main and have Ventura in testing atm. Not sure where to go if everything above is correctly in place.

Edit. Maybe Apple update the driver and you need to add vendor & device id (After re-reading the github page i don't think this could be the issue)

Thanks, I had already followed this guide but I think I have already done everything correctly.

EDIT3: Warning about the solution below.  It appears that the addition of keys  bluetoothExternalDongleFailed and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo may break Bluetooth in Monterey 12.6.6.  I am multi-booting Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura with the same OC 0.9.2 EFI, so this would be a challenge for me.  I added SpatialSoundProfileAllowed (Boolean, False) to com.apple.Bluetooth.plist (the property was not present in the plist) in Monterey 12.6.6 and amazingly, this may have fixed it.  The solution may be compatible (but not necessary) with Monterey 12.6.6 - still testing.

========================================================

EDIT2: I have confirmed that @t2m 's solution works with my HackBookPro6,2 / BCM94352HMB if I disable SpatialSoundProfileAllowed in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist. There is no need to delete the bluetooth.plist after setting SpatialSoundProfileAllowed to False.

================================================

EDIT:  @t2m 's solution works for me when I delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist.  For now, I'm able to pair with my external BT audio.  When I have time, I will examine the plist to determine the offending option that prevents BT from working when /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist is present.  The only option that is enabled in the plist is SpatialSoundProfileAllowed

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist (Ventura 13.4)

Spoiler

1060347835_Screenshot2023-05-22at9_21_10PM.png.1bed5982ad398072203d43b7a5c4f099.png

=================================

@t2m - I'll be damned.... that fixed it for me when combined with deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist.  With the addition of the bluetoothExternalDongleFailed and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo keys in my HackBookPro6,2 config.plist (OC 0.9.2) and deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist, I can turn on Bluetooth in Ventura 13.4 and pair with my external BT audio.  bluetoothd no longer crashes and I noticed that BT firmware is loading properly again.  I suspect that if I examine the plist, I will find the offending option.  Nice find!  If I could give your post more Thanks/Likes, I'd still be clicking!

Bluetooth IORegistry - Ventura 13.4 - SMBIOS MBP6,2

Spoiler

1870442116_Screenshot2023-05-22at7_19_02PM.png.55c2b4501655e5e36631b55bf4a907a1.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Niko NDP said:

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't work for me.  😞

We're both using the same Wi-Fi/BT card, so if after deleting setting SpatialSoundProfileAllowed to False in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist, your BT still doesn't work, post your config.plist, maybe we can figure this out.

Edited by deeveedee

9 hours ago, deeveedee said:

We're both using the same Wi-Fi/BT card, so if after deleting setting SpatialSoundProfileAllowed to False in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist, your BT still doesn't work, post your config.plist, maybe we can figure this out.

Thanks deeveedee, still nothing.

Here is the config.plist I'm using right now.

I add that Hackintool tells me that the Current Booted Version of OC is 0.7.7

config.plist

13 minutes ago, Niko NDP said:

Thanks t2m, I just did it but it keeps giving me version 0.7.7 all the time

Hmm. Ok. Well something is not right in your install if hackingtool reports 0.7.7 Although I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this has anything to do with BT not working. 

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 12.41.40.png

Edited by t2m
  • Like 1

@Niko NDP - You need to inject Bluetooth-Spoof.kext.  Use the version included in the EFI generated for your hack by OCLP.  I'm currently using the Bluetooth-Spoof.kext that OCLP includes in the EFI for MBP6,2 (the SMBIOS for my hack).

1731981144_ScreenShot2023-05-23at7_13_42AM.png.7b0a3150e44d4ce1ed8073d6d0a66ce5.png

Try resetting NVRAM to see if that fixes your OC version.

EDIT: @Niko NDP It just occurred to me that you don't use OCLP to generate an EFI (you only use OCLP to apply post-install patches).  I have attached Bluetooth-Spoof.kext that is included with OCLP 0.6.6.

Bluetooth-Spoof.kext.zip

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@Niko NDP - You need to inject Bluetooth-Spoof.kext.  Use the version included in the EFI generated for your hack by OCLP.  I'm currently using the Bluetooth-Spoof.kext that OCLP includes in the EFI for MBP6,2 (the SMBIOS for my hack).

1731981144_ScreenShot2023-05-23at7_13_42AM.png.7b0a3150e44d4ce1ed8073d6d0a66ce5.png

Try resetting NVRAM to see if that fixes your OC version.

EDIT: @Niko NDP It just occurred to me that you don't use OCLP to generate an EFI (you only use OCLP to apply post-install patches).  I have attached Bluetooth-Spoof.kext that is included with OCLP 0.6.6.

Bluetooth-Spoof.kext.zip 1.12 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks @deeveedee, unfortunately everything continues to be as before.

@Niko NDP Very strange.  Sorry I couldn't help.  Good luck with this!  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

EDIT: @Niko NDP I took a quick look at your config.plist and see that there is a boot-arg I'm using that you might try: -btlfxallowanyaddr

EDIT2: @Niko NDP I don't know if kext order matters in config.plist (I don't think it should), but you might try moving your BrcmPatchRAM3.kext injection after your map USB.  Since your USB mapping doesn't need Lilu, you should be able to move USB mapping to the beginning of your Kernel > Add list.

This is my kext loading order for Bluetooth

Spoiler

1974347496_Screenshot2023-05-24at9_18_35AM.png.65864ee159dbdd351b9256735aff9f2c.png

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

I am now booting my HackBookPro6,2 with AMFI and Library Validation ENABLED (thanks to OCLP 0.6.7Beta2).  The bluetooth fix (adding keys  bluetoothExternalDongleFailed and bluetoothInternalControllerInfo and disabling SpatialSoundProfileAllowed) still works for me in Ventura 13.4.