GA-Q170M-D3H Bios: F23d i3 6300 to i7 6700k added NvME M2 drive mods could move this to hardware section perhaps

RobertX

14 posts in this topic

...ten minute job, as this is my only PC at present...I'm always a little timid with brain transplants...but all is well, speed-stepping, temps, and idles down under 2.0 GHz :smoke:

...about temps, I may need to invest in a better cpu cooler than the stock intel that came with the i3 6300, geekbench pops the temps up over 80 degrees F in cpu test...any suggestions?

...mods could move this to hardware section perhaps...

Edited by RobertX

It really depends what you do on the computer. If you do heavy work on it - sure, replace your cooler with something from BeQuiet, Noctua, but if you don't push it hard just save your money and buy some weed to enjoy your new CPU :) 

• Haha 2

@RobertX

Yes, the stock cooler is small and provides less cooling. But if 80º is reached under stress, it doesn't seem like an exaggerated temp to me. The temperature on low demand moves below 40º?

In any case, change the fan for a better one, from the brands that @Jazzoo says, it is a piece that is not too expensive and it suits the CPU well.

I have Noctua NH-D15 in one hack (maybe too big) and Nox Hummer H-312 in the other hack, i9-9900 temperatures are below 30º with low load.

Edited by miliuco
  • Thanks 1

This doc says that Tcase for i7-6700K (maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)) is 64 deg C (147 deg F).  Tjunction is even higher (probably up to 100 deg C).

If 80 deg F is the actual temp (and not 80 deg C), your CPU is operating well within the acceptable temps with your current cooling solution.  Even a Tjunction of 80 deg C is acceptable.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Thanks 1

I should correct myself...80 degrees F should be over 80 degrees Celsius

...and it actually hit over 90 degrees C on one core...but I ran geekbench about 1/2 hour after rebooting with i7 6700K installed...today after sitting overnight asleep, I rebooted and from the bios, bumped up my fan speeds... now in geekbench it'll hit mid 70 degrees C on one or two cores in cpu test...good enough for now I think

Going to install a WD NvME M2 drive 500GB, just to see if that will further brighten up this old board...thanks for the help all :smoke:

• Like 1

...there, got the NvMe  M2 drive installed and initialized .this is what appears in system report...

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.09.58 AM.png

...if this appears normal, and it seems to,though I thought link width would be x4, not x2, then I will attempt to clone my ssd to the new drive and see if it boots...

thank you insanely for tolerating my rambling....

Edited by RobertX

hmm, this is nvmecontroller in ioregistry...temps for the drive are mid 30 degrees C ...copied 20 Gb folder to nvme drive from a sata drive in about 4 minutes...read up on nvmefix.kext , unsure what value it has in my case, no hiccups or errors , so far

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.01.42 PM.png

here are my results from BM disk speed test for the nvme drive

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 1.06.27 PM.png

Edited by RobertX

@RobertX I have stopped using ccc because of known cloning issues that produced an unbootable backup with Ventura.  See posts starting here.

If you think your backup worked properly, make sure that you have placed your EFI in /Volumes/EFI/EFI (not /Volumes/EFI).

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1