[SOLVED] USB and SMBios choice

J Lamp

4 posts in this topic

I wanted to try updating my laptop (MSI GT72) to Ventura. The first item to change for this was my SMBios selection. I'm currently using MacBookPro13,1 with a custom usb map kext and everything works great.

If I change the SMBios selection to a MacBookPro 14 version (for the Ventura update) all my internal USB ports disappear (Webcam, Keyboard backlight and most importantly, Bluetooth.) As I recall, I initially had this problem using MacBookPro13,3, even though the CPU is a closer match to what I have.  MacBookPro13,1 works great, 13,3 or 14 no internal USB ports.

I've tried to recreate the USB map while using the MacBookPro14,3 SMBios, but the ports are simply not found by the OS. I have tried a couple different versions of USBInjectAll to see if I can add the internal ports, but every version of the kext I have tried panics the machine early in the boot process.

If I load Hackintool while using MacBookPro13,1 I can see the internal USB ports and that they are active (as expected.) If I try the same thing with Hackintool under MacBookPro13,3 or 14,3 the ports are simply not there.  Booting with 13,3 or 14,3 and my original USBMap kext, the ports do show up in Hackintool but are not working and they disappear from the Hackintool USB list after I refresh the USB ports in the app. Ultimately the USBMap kext works, but the information it provides doesn't seem to work with the 13,3 or 14,3 SMBios versions.

It's a 100 Series chipset with a Skylake processor.

Any advice on how I can fix this?

some SMBios have different usb connections, i.e

my SMBios is iMac 20,1, if I go to iMac 20,2 the usb doesn't work

usually get around this by trying different ports

I did this test in 2019

Testing different SMBIOS to determine USB bug?

SMBIOS           OS                      USB Outcome
iMac10,1          Mojave                    none
MacMini8,1     Mojave                    none
Macmini8,1     SnowLeopard      Working

Edited by STLVNUB