Kernel argument based on OS?

J Lamp

11 posts in this topic

I'm currently using Clover v5149 and it's working great. I updated from 5122 as I was still running Mojave (Adobe CS6 user) but recently performed an update to Monterey.

With Monterey I need to enable VT-x/VT-d, remove dart=0 and patch com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion to get my AQN-107 ethernet card working. That's all fine.

However, when I boot my other Mojave drive I need to have dart=0 enabled as an argument or the system panics early in the boot process.

Perhaps I've missed this somewhere, but is there a way to assign kernel arguments to a particular OS version, the same way we can with kext patches? I'd like Clover to add dart=0 for Mojave and not inject it for Monterey.

I can of course enable dart=0 manually when I boot, but that's a bit of a pain. It would be better if I could simply put it in the config.list and be done with it.

2 hours ago, J Lamp said:

I'm currently using Clover v5149 and it's working great. I updated from 5122 as I was still running Mojave (Adobe CS6 user) but recently performed an update to Monterey.

With Monterey I need to enable VT-x/VT-d, remove dart=0 and patch com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion to get my AQN-107 ethernet card working. That's all fine.

However, when I boot my other Mojave drive I need to have dart=0 enabled as an argument or the system panics early in the boot process.

Perhaps I've missed this somewhere, but is there a way to assign kernel arguments to a particular OS version, the same way we can with kext patches? I'd like Clover to add dart=0 for Mojave and not inject it for Monterey.

I can of course enable dart=0 manually when I boot, but that's a bit of a pain. It would be better if I could simply put it in the config.list and be done with it.

If it's difficult, I have a method using BootloaderChooser as a help. by using the folder The clover you are using now and then copy the other one and put it in the same place. by making the name less unique (for example clover-mojave clover-monterrey), etc. Link When booting, there will be 2 names to choose from as per your convenience.

3 minutes ago, J Lamp said:

Thanks naiclub, I'll check that out.

Don't forget to include a countdown timer value. so that it shows every time it reboots. put for 3 seconds

Yes, that's an option too, though I was hoping to just automate it based on the OS version.

I tried going old school and adding it to com.apple.Boot.plist on Mojave, but as it's a Clover argument and not an Apple kernel argument that didn't work.

I've been looking around to see if there's a kext or a kernel patch I could use since I can assign those based on the OS version, but no luck with that so far.

• Like 1

I've decided to go the "Custom Entries" route for now. I have 3 separate Mojave backups on external drives that I've been plugging into this box, I guess I will have to create a custom entry for each.

It would be nice to automatically have this load just based on the OS and not specifically the disk, but it's working for now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Custom Entries.png

Edited by J Lamp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, antuneddu said:

But just load 2 different lists and choose them from the Clover options at boot ? 😉

Spoiler

1224329213_Screenshot2022-10-06alle01_47_25.png.bb85f29728684c41d81d2628543b67cd.png

Spoiler

817085185_Screenshot2022-10-06alle01_53_53.png.8f10bd308f7951f8c2db68222dd3bdc6.png

In this case I tried it and it doesn't work, in my case it can't read multiple file names. which is very strange for you, works fine. and it can read the oc folder

@J Lamp,

I took your request for OS dependency but I am not sure if it is possible in the nearest future.

Otherwise I have to note that I am using Mojave and Monterey on my comp #1 and VT-d is enabled in both cases, dart=0 absent and DMAR is not dropped. In the ioreg I see AppleVTD.

May be you should edit DMAR.aml so way that it will not panic in Mojave?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, naiclub said:

In this case I tried it and it doesn't work, in my case it can't read multiple file names. which is very strange for you, works fine. and it can read the oc folder

Hi Naiclub, I checked and it is working for me as well.

Edited by J Lamp

On 10/6/2022 at 3:37 AM, Slice said:

@J Lamp,

I took your request for OS dependency but I am not sure if it is possible in the nearest future.

Otherwise I have to note that I am using Mojave and Monterey on my comp #1 and VT-d is enabled in both cases, dart=0 absent and DMAR is not dropped. In the ioreg I see AppleVTD.

May be you should edit DMAR.aml so way that it will not panic in Mojave?

Thanks for jumping in on this Slice! It would be great if Clover could do that, but I understand there are other priorities.

That's very interesting, you're using the same OSs as I am. I have been dropping the dmar table by default basically forever. Any suggestion on where I could look to get info on editing the dmar.aml would be greatly appreciated. I'm no expert on editing ACPI tables, though I was able to figure out some mods to KGP's tables for my x299 to get the cards in the right slots.

Thanks for the input!

Edit - I found a post on dropping the "Reserved Memory" region in the dmar table, which I tried, but no luck. I'll keep looking, obviously properly patched tables are the best solution. If I find a fix I'll post back here.

Final Edit - Looks like there is an issue with dropping the dmar table, I'l start another thread.

Edited by J Lamp