[Help] Prohibitory sign during install of Catalina on Dell Latitude E6410

zydoslav

30 posts in this topic

Hello.
I am trying to install macOS Catalina on my Dell Latitude E6410 (intel i5-540m, 8 GB RAM, NVS 3100m, SSD 240 GB) with THIS guide from @deeveedee and I am having a problem. I am booting Clover from my USB stick (stick is an usb 3.0 device), and from clover I am trying to run the catalina installer which is on another USB stick (also usb 3.0 device). Installer starts to run (I am running it with -v verbose parameter) and after few seconds I am getting a prohibitory sign on my screen and installation is not going further. Screens attached. Could you please tell me where is the problem? Should I attach any files from USB stick with clover or the one with catalina installer?
Bios is configured with the guide (version A17).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I have attached EFI/config.plist from clover device here. I cannot find any preboot.log file, where is it? I can't see it on clover device, also there is no such file on Catalina USB Installer.

EDIT: I can see that i have to manually save the preboot.log. Done it, file attached.

Do you see here anything that could help?

config.plist

preboot.log

Edited by zydoslav

Thanks for all replies. I will try to install Catalina again today with clover r5145. If it still won't work, I will try to make installers on USB 2.0 sticks and I will come back here with an update.

EDIT:

on clover 5145, after running the installer I am getting errors as on the screen:

error.jpg

Edited by zydoslav

If you want to duplicate my guide with Catalina, I'd suggested using the same CLOVER version that I did in the guide.

EDIT: The CLOVER version that I used for this solution was r5119.

Edited by deeveedee

On 3/7/2022 at 10:09 PM, deeveedee said:

If you want to duplicate my guide with Catalina, I'd suggested using the same CLOVER version that I did in the guide.

EDIT: The CLOVER version that I used for this solution was r5119.

Today I have tried to install Catalina again. Clover r5119, Catalina 10.15.3 installer, both on USB 2.0 sticks. Problem remains the same, maybe something is wrong with my config.plist? Any ideas @deeveedee, @Slice? I am getting exactly the same errors that are on the screen in my previous post, and after them there is a prohibitory sign and the installation is not continuing. For filling my config.plist I have used Clover Configurator and I have chosen the only Mac model with i5-560M processor. Maybe you have any config.plist sample for this model, @deeveedee? I have no idea where to search for the problem.

@zydoslav If you are following the instructions here exactly as listed (including the use of DosDude's patcher to create the USB installer and replacing the config.plilst XX-MASKED-XX values with your own), I'm not sure what to say.  I have seen compatibility issues with USB sticks, so it's still possible that the two you tried aren't working and you need to find another USB 2 stick.  Also try other USB ports on your laptop.

Edited by deeveedee

17 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@zydoslav If you are following the instructions here exactly as listed (including the use of DosDude's patcher to create the USB installer and replacing the config.plilst XX-MASKED-XX values with your own), I'm not sure what to say.  I have seen compatibility issues with USB sticks, so it's still possible that the two you tried aren't working and you need to find another USB 2 stick.  Also try other USB ports on your laptop.

I have attached my config.plist file in my second post. Please check it if you have a while. These are ACPI errors, so maybe I do need to make any changes in my config.plist in the ACPI section? But honestly, I do not know which options to change.

Under these ACPI errors, after the prohibitory sign is showing up, I can see that there is one another error called 'still waiting for root device'...

Edited by zydoslav

@zydoslav I started looking at your config.plist and see that you've made changes.  For example, why did you change the SMBIOS MacModel from MBP6,2 to MBP6,1?  I noticed other changes but didn't review.  Have you started by trying to duplicate my solution posted here without making any changes (aside from populating the XX-MASKED-XX SMBIOS values)?  If you didn't knowingly make the changes, then your configurator is messing with the config.plist.  I have performed multiple installations using the solution exactly as posted and I didn't have any issues.  If the configurator is making changes without your knowledge, maybe you need to use a simple plist editor and populate the required fields without the use of a configurator.

@deeveedee I have made this change because I have i5-560m on my dell laptop. Now I have manually put the values (from MBP 6.2, generated with clover configurator) to the config.plist and I am still getting exactly the same errors (4 ACPI errors, after them 'still waiting for boot device' and prohibitory sign). I have attached my EFI folder from clover usb stick, maybe I have missed something... I am slowly losing hope for installing Catalina to my E6410.

Or maybe there is something wrong with Catalina installer on another USB stick? But the bootable USB Installer was made without any errors by the dosdude Catalina patcher.

There is also one thing that I don't understand. While installing clover on USB stick I cannot check option 'install RC scripts on target volume'. It is disabled. I can 'install RC scripts on all another volumes' and I am checking it, but option mentioned in the guide is disabled. Of course clover version is r5119.

I have patched the catalina installer by getting 10.15.3 installer manualny and browsing it, because dosdude patcher is downloading 10.15.7 version. Am I doing It right way?

As I am trying to Google the problem, it looks like na usb-related issue, but I need help with eliminating it because I am newbie to hackintoshes.

EFI.zip

Edited by zydoslav

@zydoslav Did you understand and follow this step when creating your installer USB stick?

Copy all but the FakeSMC sensor kexts in E6410-Catalina.zip (attached) LE folder to the Catalina USB Installer /Library/Extensions (copy all kexts (including FakeSMC.kext) but not the FakeSMC sensor kexts)

Edited by deeveedee

11 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@zydoslav Did you understand and follow this step when creating your installer USB stick?

@deeveedee I think that I did understand that. I have attached a screen with contents of Library/Extensions on my Catalina USB installer. Please have a look if everything is okay there. 

Is the EFI folder attached in my previous post okay or is there anything wrong?

screen1.JPG

I have also checked my BIOS settings once again, BIOS is set exactly as in the guide.

Edited by zydoslav

@zydoslav It looks to me like you're trying to do everything correctly.  If you have BIOS correct (including SATA Operation: AHCI, USB Emulation: Enable Legacy), the only other things I can think are to make sure your macOS target SSD is in the main drive bay (not the Auxiliary drive bay).  Also try turning off your laptop, remove A/C power, remove the main battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, restore A/C power and battery, boot normally.

6 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@zydoslav It looks to me like you're trying to do everything correctly.  If you have BIOS correct (including SATA Operation: AHCI, USB Emulation: Enable Legacy), the only other things I can think are to make sure your macOS target SSD is in the main drive bay (not the Auxiliary drive bay).  Also try turning off your laptop, remove A/C power, remove the main battery, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, restore A/C power and battery, boot normally.

@deeveedee that was truly an USB problem. What I've done:

- connected my SSD with USB adapter to Catalina VM,
- installed clover on SSD's one partition,
- made another partition with bootable installer by dosdude catalina patcher (10.15.3)

- installed SSD in my dell E6410.

Then I boot clover from my SSD and I boot catalina installer from clover.

Now it passes the errors and installer is proceeding, but after few seconds it is getting a new error (attached). Any ideas how to eliminate this one? This error shows in a infinite loop and there is no prohibitory sign after it. My idea with USB adapter was OK, or is this impossible to install macOS directly from ssd?

275459654_487642789483485_5413721509242486628_n.thumb.jpg.757ba6dc8a5313596c626d32b70c4e92.jpg

Clever work-around.  I'm sorry that I don't have any other guesses/suggestions.

EDIT: @zydoslav I reviewed this thread and see that you are attempting to install Catalina 10.15.3 with what I assume to be DosDude Catalina Patcher v1.4.4.  I don't recall trying to install an older version of Catalina with a newer version of the DosDude patcher.   The DosDude patchers were updated with each release of Catalina.  Try installing Catalina 10.15.7 with the v.1.4.4 patcher (don't start with Catalina 10.15.3).

Edited by deeveedee

17 hours ago, deeveedee said:

Clever work-around.  I'm sorry that I don't have any other guesses/suggestions.

EDIT: @zydoslav I reviewed this thread and see that you are attempting to install Catalina 10.15.3 with what I assume to be DosDude Catalina Patcher v1.4.4.  I don't recall trying to install an older version of Catalina with a newer version of the DosDude patcher.   The DosDude patchers were updated with each release of Catalina.  Try installing Catalina 10.15.7 with the v.1.4.4 patcher (don't start with Catalina 10.15.3).

@deeveedee that was the tip to move forward. What I've done for now:

- made an bootable partition with dosdude catalina patcher with Catalina 10.15.7 installer - now it boots into the installer without errors, BUT when it goes to the language selection screen, the installer is stuck (keyboard is not working, touchpad is not working, usb mouse is not working), I can't do anything on this screen.

- I also tried to download dosdude patcher 1.3.0 and make a bootable partition of 10.15.3 - the same results, stuck on language selection.

Could it be an issue related to GPU, or USB? Also tried to boot with -v -f dart=0 nv_disable=1 (found that somewhere in the net), but same results, stuck on language screen. How to bypass this problem?

@zydoslav  In my opinion, you need to continue to look for steps that you are not following exactly as described.  The solution is proven and reliable.  Again, just my opinion, but looking for ways to change the solution (like adding nv_disable=1) will just lead you further from the root cause.  Stick with DosDude Patcher 1.4.4 and Catalina 10.15.7 and read through the lessons learned and installation steps here to find the mistake.  Reading through all posts in the entire thread may be tedious, but may also help you find the problem.  The solution as described is mature enough that you shouldn't need to be guessing about any required modifications.

EDIT: @zydoslav If you think that you have properly followed the instructions, then I would recommend installing Windows 7 to make sure that your laptop hardware is working as expected.

EDIT2: @zydoslav I see something that might explain what's going on.  Could you please try following the instructions here for installation of Catalina 10.15.7?  I see that I started copying kexts to E/C/k/O folder (EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other) on the USB stick.  I don't remember why I started doing this, but that might explain the problems you're seeing.  If this is the case and copying the kexts to E/C/k/O fixes the issue, I do apologize.  Please let me know.

Edited by deeveedee
Added a note about testing with Win7

@zydoslav Please accept my apologies for not realizing this sooner.  The installation steps in the first post of this thread are for 10.15.2 and 10.15.3.  Starting with 10.15.4, kexts must be injected by CLOVER during the installation of macOS.  See my post here when I realized this.  Not a good excuse, but it's been a while since I installed macOS on the Latitude E6410.  Please try the installation steps here (applying the steps to Catalina 10.15.7) and let me know what you find.  You've been very patient.

By the way - try the "new" steps with a USB 2.0 stick.

Edited by deeveedee

4 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@zydoslav  In my opinion, you need to continue to look for steps that you are not following exactly as described.  The solution is proven and reliable.  Again, just my opinion, but looking for ways to change the solution (like adding nv_disable=1) will just lead you further from the root cause.  Stick with DosDude Patcher 1.4.4 and Catalina 10.15.7 and read through the lessons learned and installation steps here to find the mistake.  Reading through all posts in the entire thread may be tedious, but may also help you find the problem.  The solution as described is mature enough that you shouldn't need to be guessing about any required modifications.

EDIT: @zydoslav If you think that you have properly followed the instructions, then I would recommend installing Windows 7 to make sure that your laptop hardware is working as expected.

@deeveedee I think my hardware is OK. I have solved the problem with dead USB in the installer. What I have done is I have opened my config.plist in clover configurator and I have installer USBInjectAll.kext in the Clover partition (it is also installed in Catalina installer's Library/Extensions). Now I have my mouse working, I am selecting language, selecting 'reinstall Catalina' I am choosing the destination partition and now, there is a NEW problem (ha ha). Installation is proceeding and I after few minutes I am getting error - 'error during making installation, try again' (translated, but kept the meaning, I've tried 3 times). Since the USB is now working, maybe I will try again with installing Catalina from USB tommorrow. Do I need to format destination partition to APFS? I am trying to do that before installation, but it says that it can't unmount the disk. 

@zydoslav - Congrats - you figured it out before I did.  See my latest recommendation here.   You need to copy all kexts to E/C/k/O.

... and yes, you need to format the destination volume as APFS.  When you boot using the USB stick, you can use disk utilities to format your SSD.  Format APFS and Scheme GUID Partition Map.

Edited by deeveedee

21 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@zydoslav - Congrats - you figured it out before I did.  See my latest recommendation here.   You need to copy all kexts to E/C/k/O.

... and yes, you need to format the destination volume as APFS.  When you boot using the USB stick, you can use disk utilities to format your SSD.  Format APFS and Scheme GUID Partition Map.

@deeveedee thank you for your patience. I have followed steps you mentioned for 10.15.6 and now it's installed and it works like a charm. I had a small problem, because I have an Intel Wireless, but I found itlwm.kext on github, added it to my Clover EFI and Wifi works. One more question. Can I install app updates via the system updater? Won't it hurt the system? For now I have Catalina 10.15.7 installed and I am really happy for that. I am really grateful for your help!

• Like 1

@zydoslav Congratulations!  You have a 2010 laptop that is running macOS Catalina - how awesome is that?  I never got incremental updates to work.  10.15.7.3 is the last version that I installed as noted here.  My last attempt to install incremental updates is here.  It would be great if you can start posting your updates in the Dell Latitude E6410 thread.  How long do you have to wait before you're allowed to post there?  I never tried, but you might be able to switch to the OpenCore Legacy Patcher in order to be able to upgrade macOS beyond 10.5.7.

Again, congratulations.  Glad I could help you.

@zydoslav A quick note - if you don't absolutely need Catalina or newer and you can live with Mojave, there are aspects of Mojave that work better than Catalina.  For example, Microsoft Office apps have some strange quirks when running on your Latitude E6410 / Catalina that are not a problem with Mojave.  The same is true on a real MacBookPro6,2.  I have High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina installed on my Dell Latitude E6410, and believe it or not, I prefer High Sierra.  High Sierra is the last OS that "runs natively" on the Dell E6410 without needing the DosDude patcher, because all of the NVidia drivers are part of the OS.  You will find that your Latitude E6410 behaves virtually identically to the real MacBookPro6,2 (with the same limitations as well).

• Like 3