186 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Austere.J said:

@gnpaone Your kernel logs are incomplete. Please refer to the FAQs and make sure that logs are complete before you upload it.

Ohh, I waited 2 mins after I boot my mac os and generated my log, you mean I have to wait few more minutes before I generate my logs sir? Some log files are 0 bytes because no sd card is present (I think that's the reason)

Actually, I followed this FAQ sir. I will try using DebugEnhancer kext and upload again sir

Edited by gnpaone

6 minutes ago, gnpaone said:

Ohh, I waited 2 mins after I boot my mac os and generated my log, you mean I have to wait few more minutes before I generate my logs sir?

https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/blob/main/Docs/FAQ.md

Insert your card before your system boots. Once you see your desktop, dump the kernel log and check whether it is complete.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Austere.J said:

@gnpaone Your kernel logs are incomplete. Please refer to the FAQs and make sure that logs are complete before you upload it.

@Austere.J Done sir 👍

Note: The log files uploaded here are of booting with sdcard inserted

rtsx-5842de3.log rtsx-4213fa4.log rtsx-3523d8d.log rtsx-3523d8d_1bitbuswidth-1.log

6 minutes ago, Austere.J said:

OK, so now you have the same problem as other testers... :o

Yes sir 😅. But I am sure this problem may get solved soon

8 hours ago, Austere.J said:

@b0ltun The version you tried solves this issue only.

I fixed a bug in the function that switches the bus block.

Please give a try and let's see whether commands are still timed out after the card reader switches its internal clock.

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_851ede2_DEBUG.zip 211.16 kB · 3 downloads

Checked that version > booted with sd card injected - nothing on desktop or Disk Utility, but it's force injecting and ejecting itself (you can see that in ioreg - red "stuff" under card reader USB). Also, if you eject card and inject it again it will begin again to "switching ON/OFF" every second. I will attach log (inserted card before boot, after that ejected it and injected again). Also will attach ioreg. 

Thank you again!

rts.txt MacBook Air — b0ltun.ioreg

2 hours ago, b0ltun said:

Checked that version > booted with sd card injected - nothing on desktop or Disk Utility, but it's force injecting and ejecting itself (you can see that in ioreg - red "stuff" under card reader USB). Also, if you eject card and inject it again it will begin again to "switching ON/OFF" every second. I will attach log (inserted card before boot, after that ejected it and injected again). Also will attach ioreg. 

Thank you again!

rts.txt 1021.66 kB · 0 downloads MacBook Air — b0ltun.ioreg 7.38 MB · 0 downloads

Hii, I know it's silly to ask this but can you please tell in brief how to extract that text file and ioreg? 😳

Edited by gnpaone

12 hours ago, gnpaone said:

Hii, I know it's silly to ask this but can you please tell in brief how to extract that text file and ioreg? 😳

enable debug in OC config.plist (AppleDebug and etc) > you can find guide in Dortania how to do that

Also you need debug Lilu + debug variant of any kext you want to "debug". You also need that boot-arg: msgbuf=10485760 (it's currently working only on Big Sur, Monterey won't boot with that boot-arg right now)

Once you boot your system > open terminal > sudo dmesg | grep "RTS" > ~/Desktop/name_of_file.log

@Austere.J actually sent you the link to FAQ and how to do that (https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/blob/main/Docs/FAQ.md > "How do I dump the log produced by the driver?"

For IOreg dumps you actually need one of that two versions of application > https://github.com/khronokernel/IORegistryClone 

Version 3.0 provide much more info of some types, but the size of dump will be big

Version 2.1 is better for 2 reasons > low size of dumps, most guys use that. 

If you did dump with version 2.1 > you can't open it with version 3.0. So the dumps are incompatible to open by different version. 

To make dump you need open app and "Save"

Edited by b0ltun
add for ioreg

3 minutes ago, b0ltun said:

enable debug in OC config.plist (AppleDebug and etc) > you can find guide in Dortania how to do that

Also you need debug Lilu + debug variant of any kext you want to "debug". You also need that boot-arg: msgbuf=10485760 (it's currently working only on Big Sur, Monterey won't boot with that boot-arg right now)

Once you boot your system > open terminal > sudo dmesg | grep "RTS" > ~/Desktop/name_of_file.log

@Austere.J actually sent you the link to FAQ and how to do that (https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/blob/main/Docs/FAQ.md > "How do I dump the log produced by the driver?"

Thanks. Yah, I did like this only. But your file is in txt format instead of log file so I asked, and also how to get the ioreg file?

On 8/7/2021 at 11:07 AM, Austere.J said:

OK, so now you have the same problem as other testers... :o

On 8/7/2021 at 7:12 PM, b0ltun said:

Thank you again!

rts.txt 1021.66 kB · 3 downloads MacBook Air — b0ltun.ioreg 7.38 MB · 0 downloads

@Austere.J Yah, it is in a continuous infinite loop of ejecting and inserting the card, I just saw something in the kext changelogs, I think it's due to the command to check periodically if the sdcard is present in the socket or not so it is doing the job correctly but don't know why it is ejecting (I think there is an eject command too in that periodic testing command - maybe). The periodic testing stops when sdcard is removed. But there is one improvement, sdcard gets detected while plugged in after boot too (hotplug) as well as booting with sdcard inserted. my IOReg is attached below (thanks to @b0ltun I use ioreg from many months but never seen that save option until today (or maybe seen it and ignored it 🤔)). One more thing, the loop does not happen for uhs 1 cards, it detects as card is connected, in ioreg, but it does not report to system about card information so it does not appear in disk utility and system report (both cases - boot with card connected and card connected after boot).

Naveen’s MacBook Pro.ioreg.zip rtsx-851ede2-uhs1.log.zip Naveen’s MacBook Pro 851ede2 uhs-1.ioreg.zip

Edited by gnpaone

On 8/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, gnpaone said:

@Austere.J Yah, it is in a continuous infinite loop of ejecting and inserting the card, I just saw something in the kext changelogs, I think it's due to the command to check periodically if the sdcard is present in the socket or not so it is doing the job correctly but don't know why it is ejecting (I think there is an eject command too in that periodic testing command - maybe). The periodic testing stops when sdcard is removed. But there is one improvement, sdcard gets detected while plugged in after boot too (hotplug) as well as booting with sdcard inserted. my IOReg is attached below (thanks to @b0ltun I use ioreg from many months but never seen that save option until today (or maybe seen it and ignored it 🤔)). One more thing, the loop does not happen for uhs 1 cards, it detects as card is connected, in ioreg, but it does not report to system about card information so it does not appear in disk utility and system report (both cases - boot with card connected and card connected after boot).

Naveen’s MacBook Pro.ioreg.zip 857.55 kB · 0 downloads rtsx-851ede2-uhs1.log.zip 139.98 kB · 0 downloads Naveen’s MacBook Pro 851ede2 uhs-1.ioreg.zip 910.83 kB · 0 downloads

P.S.: I attached my old micro sd card using micro sdcard reader and the Mac detected it successfully (Yay!) (including the sdcard icon), but 5842de3 shows it in disk utility, IOReg along with card details correct (including card model & company) instead of unknown NCard but couldn't initialise it (as usual), 851ede2 is in an infinite loop even though the card make & model is detected correctly in IOReg (both hotplug and boot with sdcard) (it doesn't show up in disk utility). IOReg, log files & screenshots attached below in zip files.

5842de3-microsd.zip rtsx-851ede2-microsd.zip

17 hours ago, gnpaone said:

P.S.: I attached my old micro sd card using micro sdcard reader and the Mac detected it successfully (Yay!) (including the sdcard icon), but 5842de3 shows it in disk utility, IOReg along with card details correct (including card model & company) instead of unknown NCard but couldn't initialise it (as usual), 851ede2 is in an infinite loop even though the card make & model is detected correctly in IOReg (both hotplug and boot with sdcard) (it doesn't show up in disk utility). IOReg, log files & screenshots attached below in zip files.

5842de3-microsd.zip 1.73 MB · 1 download rtsx-851ede2-microsd.zip 1.42 MB · 1 download

@Austere.J Note: Last entry (shown in screenshot) is uhs 1 micros card, this 851ede2 kext detects uhs 1 microsd card (without infinite loop) but not uhs 1 sdcard.

851ede2 non-uhs 2gb microsd+non-uhs 16gb microsd+uhs 32gb microsd.zip

Edited by gnpaone

Hi everyone,

just a small feedback: my RTS522A seems fully working using opencore 0.7.2 on BS 11.5 on my HP 450 G5.

I wrote "seems" because I did not test any speed but after just plugging in an SDXC card it was mounted immediately.

And, of course, card reader tab on system profiler is natively populated.

Thanks to @Austere.J and @Hervé for this huge work.

Feedback on USB3.0-CRW: It's working good, the only issue is that after sleep, the card is ejecting and re-mounting. Well, that's not a problem for me tho, I'm pretty happy with this. 

The reader won't show up in System Info -> Card Reader, only as an USB device (I think that's the normal behaviour)

Otherwise, no issue with the card or the card reader.

Spoiler

891164851_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_49_33.thumb.png.ce68fa400a8697086b01612fdbc2342a.png

884730888_Screenshot2021-08-13at14_14_47.thumb.png.075a770bcb7f4800b3891d6ba053c43d.png

IOReg:

Spoiler

1152778586_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_43_48.png.5f8ac6b208ce4bd70358f349c47b7d62.png

The speed is slow, but It's not an issue, this particular card is pretty slow.

EDIT: But I had a high-speed one too, I didn't measure the speed of that, but it was pretty quick when I burned a debian iso to that.

Spoiler

160403569_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_45_59.thumb.png.d274e654ce213146fa6154d66ddf4094.png

HWInfo64:

Spoiler

764877202_Kpernyfelvtel(3).thumb.png.b35a626d3c89d951998e703304a68400.png

System: Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th - Big Sur 11.5.2, RealtekCardReader.kext v0.9.5

Thanks for your hard work!

Edited by kushwavez
added kext version

33 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

Feedback on USB3.0-CRW: It's working good, the only issue is that after sleep, the card is ejecting and re-mounting. Well, that's not a problem for me tho, I'm pretty happy with this. 

The card won't show up in System Info -> Card Reader, only as an USB device (I think that's the normal behaviour)

Otherwise, no issue with the card.

Hide contents

891164851_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_49_33.thumb.png.ce68fa400a8697086b01612fdbc2342a.png

IOReg:

Hide contents

1152778586_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_43_48.png.5f8ac6b208ce4bd70358f349c47b7d62.png

The speed is slow, but It's not an issue, this particular card is pretty slow.

Hide contents

160403569_Screenshot2021-08-13at11_45_59.thumb.png.d274e654ce213146fa6154d66ddf4094.png

HWInfo64:

Hide contents

764877202_Kpernyfelvtel(3).thumb.png.b35a626d3c89d951998e703304a68400.png

System: Lenovo X1 Carbon 6th - Big Sur 11.5.2

Thanks for your hard work!

Which version of kext are you using?

15 minutes ago, kushwavez said:

how could I forgot that, sorry

it's v0.9.5

You don't need kext to get that card reader working. RTS5138 working out of the box. In your IOreg screenshot you can see it. 

5129, 5137 and 5179 (USB-based) need a custom driver to work. Any other USB based Realtek is working out of box with default and native Apple drivers

Edited by b0ltun

5 minutes ago, b0ltun said:

You don't need kext to get that card reader working. RTS5138 working out of the box. In your IOreg screenshot you can see it. 

5129, 5137 and 5179 (USB-based) need a custom driver to work. Any other USB based Realtek is working out of box with default and native Apple drivers

Yah, now I notice his ioreg, apple officially supports rts5138 from Big Sur (no support until Catalina)

ouch

I feel pretty dumb now. 

Sorry then, you're right, I removed the kext and it does work. 

I was pretty convinced that it doesn't work since I tried it on Catalina and it did nothing. Looks like I was wrong. Well, it is a good news for me tho, thank you.

oopsie

On 7/18/2021 at 12:59 AM, Austere.J said:

A quick summary of known issues with USB card readers.

RTS5129:

Problem:

Non-UHS-I SD cards become unresponsive and commands are timed out after the driver sets the bus clock to 25MHz (Default Speed Mode) or 50MHz (High Speed Mode). The same issue also occurs on PCIe-based RTS5227 as reported on Github.

User Observation:

The card is not recognized and does not appear on desktop.

USB Common:

Problem:

The driver starts the card initialization sequence only if the card is present in the card slot while the system boots.

The periodic polling function that monitors the card status is not working at this moment. (IOTimerEventSource)

User Observation:

Nothing happens when one insert the card after the system boots.

Problem:

System Information does not list the USB card reader properly under the tab "Card Reader".

User Observation:

Device details are blank under the tab.

The latest commits should have solved these issues.

You can find compiled kexts under the Artifacts in each action (e.g., https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/actions/runs/1152407458).

For those who have USB-based card readers, your card should be able to show up on the desktop now and you can see the files on the card.

However, file transfers are problematic (extremely slow) due to pipe stalls and timed out commands after a DMA transfer.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Austere.J said:

The latest commits should have solved these issues.

You can find compiled kexts under the Artifacts in each action (e.g., https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/actions/runs/1152407458).

For those who have USB-based card readers, your card should be able to show up on the desktop now and you can see the files on the card.

However, file transfers are problematic (extremely slow) due to pipe stalls and timed out commands after a DMA transfer.

Thank you sir, I will try and tell if there is any issue