186 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Austere.J said:

[   33.724033]: RTSX: IOReturn IOSDHostDriver::CMD55(UInt32) Error: Failed to initiate the CMD55. Error = 0xe00002d6.
[   33.724036]: RTSX: IOReturn IOSDHostDriver::waitForAppRequest(RealtekSDRequest &, UInt32) Error: Failed to issue a CMD55. Error = 0xe00002d6.
[   33.724039]: RTSX: IOReturn IOSDHostDriver::waitForAppRequest(RealtekSDRequest &, UInt32) Error: Failed to send the application command. Error = 0xe00002d6.
[   33.724043]: RTSX: bool IOSDCard::enable4BitWideBus() Error: Failed to issue the ACMD6 to switch to the 4-bit bus.
[   33.724046]: RTSX: bool IOSDCard::initHighSpeedMode() Error: Failed to enable the 4-bit wide bus.

OK, I see. You encountered the same issue as Sherlocks.

Please try the above 1-bit version with your card inserted while the system boots.

Tried, still same. I will attach log

P.S. - my fault, it's seems to be working now, it's appeared in Disk Utility. Will try to erase it, it's just new from shop, so that's my fault. 

Still no info in "System Report"

261857894_Screenshot2021-07-18at13_19_09.png.3292530e08038127b7eb0242aeca1f0f.png

RTS.txt

Edited by b0ltun

1 minute ago, Austere.J said:

OK, your card has been initialized properly but now the problem is related to timed out DMA transfers.

Stay tuned.

Hm, now it's just stuck on creating partition map, so i will wait ^_^

Just now, b0ltun said:

Hm, now it's just stuck on creating partition map, so i will wait ^_^

You will receive an error, because I/O transfers are not working properly for USB-based card readers.

The driver is using the transfer mode that is used by PCIe-based card readers, which might be a problem now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, whatnameisit said:

Sorry for late reply, and I'll be going away for about 3 hours... But my logs seem different from b0ltun's.

logs.zip 217.48 kB · 1 download

Your kernel log is indeed different and reveals another problem.

Your UHS-I card failed to drive both command and data lines to low after receiving a CMD11 (which switches the voltage level to 1.8V).

It might be possible that some cards are slow and need more time, so I updated the code to wait until the card drive both lines to low.

Please try this one and see if it resolves the issue.

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_5842de3_DEBUG.zip

A quick summary of known issues with USB card readers.

RTS5129:

Problem:

Non-UHS-I SD cards become unresponsive and commands are timed out after the driver sets the bus clock to 25MHz (Default Speed Mode) or 50MHz (High Speed Mode). The same issue also occurs on PCIe-based RTS5227 as reported on Github.

User Observation:

The card is not recognized and does not appear on desktop.

USB Common:

Problem:

The driver starts the card initialization sequence only if the card is present in the card slot while the system boots.

The periodic polling function that monitors the card status is not working at this moment. (IOTimerEventSource)

User Observation:

Nothing happens when one insert the card after the system boots.

Problem:

System Information does not list the USB card reader properly under the tab "Card Reader".

User Observation:

Device details are blank under the tab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday my device experienced two crash downs on com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily after long sleep. After three hours or more sleep, all the USB ports are invalid, and after a minute, the device shuts down itself. Here's the crash report. My model is RTS5129 btw.

CrashReport Jul25.txt

Edited by stevezheng

Yesterday my device experienced two crash downs on com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily after long sleep. After three hours or more sleep, all the USB ports are invalid, and after a minute, the device shuts down itself. Here's the crash report. My model is RTS5129 btw.

CrashReport Jul25.txt

Is your card reader working properly before the computer goes to sleep? i.e. Is the SD card initialized properly and does it show up on your desktop? In either case, please attach your kernel log.

Your kernel panic might be related to the power management, but I want to make sure that USB-based card readers are working properly (Card Init, I/O Transfer, Performance, etc.) before looking at PM issues.

2 hours ago, Austere.J said:

Is your card reader working properly before the computer goes to sleep? i.e. Is the SD card initialized properly and does it show up on your desktop? In either case, please attach your kernel log.

Your kernel panic might be related to the power management, but I want to make sure that USB-based card readers are working properly (Card Init, I/O Transfer, Performance, etc.) before looking at PM issues.

I will re-test it and report in two weeks. Sorry for the delay, my device is on a hardware maintenance.

I am a bit confused by
GenericCardReaderFriend's README. It says 

If your card reader is powered by either AppleUSBCardReader.kext or RealtekCardReader.kext, you should NOT use this plugin.

As I have a RTS5129, I need RealtekCardReader to drive it, but there's no information showed up in System Information - Card Reader. And I should not use neither GenericCardReaderFriend nor RealtekCardReaderFriend to inject built-in information?

@stevezheng

I think RealtekCardReaderFriend can only be used with RealtekCardReader which drives the SD card readers listed in RealtekCardReader README. GenericCardReaderFriend is to be used with SD card readers which is supported natively or can be extended by the native drivers.

I would test GenericCardReaderFriend on my laptop with RTS5138 which is natively supported.

Spoiler

- If your have a builtin USB card reader that works out of box but does not show up in System Information, you may try the other Lilu plugin [GenericCardReaderFriend](https://github.com/0xFireWolf/GenericCardReaderFriend).
- In other words, your card reader is powered by neither `AppleUSBCardReader.kext` nor `RealtekCardReader.kext`.

Maybe removing the second bullet would make more sense? @Austere.J

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevezheng said:

As I have a RTS5129, I need RealtekCardReader to drive it, but there's no information showed up in System Information - Card Reader.

Yes, but you need the latest version of `RealtekCardReader` (See Below).

4 hours ago, stevezheng said:

And I should not use neither GenericCardReaderFriend nor RealtekCardReaderFriend to inject built-in information?

You should use `RealtekCardReaderFriend`.

53 minutes ago, whatnameisit said:

I think RealtekCardReaderFriend can only be used with RealtekCardReader which drives the SD card readers listed in RealtekCardReader README.

Correct.

54 minutes ago, whatnameisit said:

GenericCardReaderFriend is to be used with SD card readers which is supported natively or can be extended by the native drivers.

GenericCardReaderFriend is to be used with USB-based card readers that are powered by Apple's USB Mass Storage driver.

There are three types of drivers for USB-based card readers:

1) Apple's USB Mass Storage driver (your card reader works like a thumb drive)

2) Apple's USB Card Reader driver (you probably need to modify its Info.plist to make it work with your device)

3) Realtek USB Card Reader driver (i.e., this driver and RTS5129, 5139 and 5179 only)

In the first case, you need Generic Card Reader Friend to make your card reader show up in System Information,

In the second case, you do not need any Lilu plugins, because from the perspective of System Information your card reader is natively supported.

In the third case, you need Realtek Card Reader Friend to make both your card reader and the card information show up in System Information.

1 hour ago, whatnameisit said:

Maybe removing the second bullet would make more sense?

That's why I keep the second bullet, but I think I should make a table to clarify things more clearly.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:14 AM, whatnameisit said:

Still not showing.

Your card failed to switch to 1.8V. Please try the latest one and add the boot argument `-rtsx3v3` to initialize the card at 3.3V.

Links: https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/files/6874896/RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_4213fa4_DEBUG.zip

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Austere.J said:

That's why I keep the second bullet, but I think I should make a table to clarify things more clearly.

Oh. I meant remove just the bullet and keep the line because the second bullet continues from the first bullet :) Making a table would be nice.

Here's the log with -rtsx3v3.

bootinserted.log

I tested GenericCardReaderFriend on Alcor SD Card Reader and here's debug information.

This SD card reader seems it initializes when the card is inserted and terminates when the card is removed. That's why Lilu log shows GenericCardReaderFriend not patching when the laptop is booted without the card inserted, I think. System Information shows SD card reader information when the card is inserted and displays no card reader present when the card is taken out. I guess this is the way macOS deals with Alcor 058f6366, and I also guess I could try to load Apple's USB Card Reader Driver as you said above and see if that does anything.

Files.zip

The IOReg is saved after I remove the SD card, and should I raise an issue on Github because this thread is dedicated to Realtek SD card reader support?

Edited by whatnameisit

6 hours ago, whatnameisit said:

This SD card reader seems it initializes when the card is inserted and terminates when the card is removed.

Yes, that's the expected behavior.

That's why Lilu log shows GenericCardReaderFriend not patching when the laptop is booted without the card inserted

You will see the following two lines in the kernel log the first time you open System Information, regardless of whether a card is inserted or not.

GenericCardReaderFriend      GCRF: @ Patched the USB controller name.
GenericCardReaderFriend      GCRF: @ Patched the USB bundle identifier.

I think. System Information shows SD card reader information when the card is inserted and displays no card reader present when the card is taken out.

The IOReg is saved after I remove the SD card

10 hours ago, Austere.J said:

Yes, that's correct.

When you remove the card, your card reader device also disconnects from the system, and your IOReg dump also captures such behavior.

That's why I said your card reader works like a thumb drive above.

I could try to load Apple's USB Card Reader Driver as you said above and see if that does anything.

You could give a try, but I think it's unnecessary as your card reader already works out of box.

should I raise an issue on Github because this thread is dedicated to Realtek SD card reader support?

No, you don't need to submit an issue, as what you observed is expected.

You may take a look at the FAQs of the generic friend (https://github.com/0xFireWolf/GenericCardReaderFriend/blob/main/FAQ.md#long-story).

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Austere.J said:

Yes, but you need the latest version of `RealtekCardReader` (See Below).

You should use `RealtekCardReaderFriend`.

Correct.

GenericCardReaderFriend is to be used with USB-based card readers that are powered by Apple's USB Mass Storage driver.

2) Apple's USB Card Reader driver (you probably need to modify its Info.plist to make it work with your device)

3) Realtek USB Card Reader driver (i.e., this driver and RTS5129, 5139 and 5179 only)

In the first case, you need Generic Card Reader Friend to make your card reader show up in System Information,

In the second case, you do not need any Lilu plugins, because from the perspective of System Information your card reader is natively supported.

In the third case, you need Realtek Card Reader Friend to make both your card reader and the card information show up in System Information.

Your card failed to switch to 1.8V. Please try the latest one and add the boot argument `-rtsx3v3` to initialize the card at 3.3V.

Links: https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/files/6874896/RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_4213fa4_DEBUG.zip

here is log when booting with inserted sdcard. not recognized sd card

rtsx_with -rtsx3v3.log

rtsx_without -rtsx3v3.log

1046754207_2021-07-2812_14_50.png.9f544e295fd76f270b1676a24181d322.png

@Austere.J 

Here is the log from latest version with inserted card BEFORE boot (without any special boot-args) > RTS5129

1) I can see info about SD card reader in "System report" (no difference if i boot with SD card inserted or not) 

2) No SD card shown at all (previously it appeared in IOreg and Disk Utility, but i wasn't able to erase it and initialise in Disk Utility)

I will attach IOreg and log here (sd card was inserted before boot)

rts.txt MacBook Air — b0ltun.ioreg

@Austere.J Hii, I just discovered for RTS5129 (0x129, 0xbda), a partial solution to make it work. I used some variants of realtekcardreader.kext out of which few variants partially worked (maybe developers could help me). I posted screenshots below to explain better than words.

My initial try - https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/issues/8

Variant 5842de3 - Detects sdcard when attached before boot (5842de3-1.png)(sdcard gets detected but as an unknown card, couldn't format); hotplug sdcard not working(5842de3-3.png) (hot plug means plugging sdcard while Mac is running); doesn't show anything in system info

5842de3-3.thumb.png.c6102386baadec9ffa8672fb808be3b7.png5842de3-1.thumb.png.e800a29c347b53794b80aa4a8891253d.png

Variant 4213fa4 - It detects some info in system info (similar to GenericCardReaderFriend.kext (as it fakes the card reader) as mentioned in my post - https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/issues/8#issuecomment-891726963) but it doesn't detect any sdcard (both pre-boot and hotplug) (both with and without -rtsx3v3 boot-arg)

4213fa4.thumb.png.05102f697f58144fb19d808a551f517a.png

Variant 3523d8d - System Info similar to 5842de3 but doesn't detect sdcard

3523d8d.thumb.png.fc03421abe6a54b358532d2f5dff398a.png

Variant 3523d8d_1bitbuswidthversion - everything is similar to 5842de3

3523d8d_1bitbuswidth-1.thumb.png.f4de5db8a4771da702a71dcd97b12fb9.png3523d8d_1bitbuswidth-2.thumb.png.3f0f332a2534eab89c0c62dac8a0a0ee.png

I doubt if it's the problem with sdcard variation in Mac detection (probably), IOReg shows SDXC reader but I use SDHC Card (Windows 10 could open my SDHC Card very well) and I couldn't test this as I don't have SDXC Card (Developers please find out). Also, please read my whole post and try to identify the problem with kext sir. You are doing a great job.

(I am not sure if that kind of card reader reporting in ioreg is normal or a problem from the original macbook perspective)

Note: The kexts which I posted here are taken from previous posts in this discussion and are not compiled by me.

5842de3-2.png:

5842de3-2.png

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_5842de3_DEBUG.zip RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_4213fa4_DEBUG.zip RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_3523d8d_DEBUG.zip

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_3523d8d_1BitBusWidth_DEBUG.zip

rtsx-5842de3-bootWithSDCard.log rtsx-5842de3-bootWithoutSDCard.log rtsx-4213fa4-bootWithSDCard.log rtsx-4213fa4-bootWithoutSDCard.log rtsx-3523d8d-bootWithSDCard.log rtsx-3523d8d-bootWithoutSDCard.log rtsx-3523d8d-1bitbus-bootWithSDCard.log rtsx-3523d8d-1bitbus-bootWithoutSDCard.log

rtsx-4213fa4-rtsx3v3-bootWithSDCard.log rtsx-4213fa4-rtsx3v3-bootWithoutSDCard.log

Edited by gnpaone

On 8/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, gnpaone said:

@Austere.J Hii, I just discovered for RTS5129 (0x129, 0xbda), a partial solution to make it work. I used some variants of realtekcardreader.kext out of which few variants partially worked (maybe developers could help me). I posted screenshots below to explain better than words.

My initial try - https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/issues/8

Variant 5842de3 - Detects sdcard when attached before boot (5842de3-1.png)(sdcard gets detected but as an unknown card, couldn't format); hotplug sdcard not working(5842de3-3.png) (hot plug means plugging sdcard while Mac is running); doesn't show anything in system info

5842de3-3.thumb.png.c6102386baadec9ffa8672fb808be3b7.png5842de3-1.thumb.png.e800a29c347b53794b80aa4a8891253d.png

Variant 4213fa4 - It detects some info in system info (similar to GenericCardReaderFriend.kext (as it fakes the card reader) as mentioned in my post - https://github.com/0xFireWolf/RealtekCardReader/issues/8#issuecomment-891726963) but it doesn't detect any sdcard (both pre-boot and hotplug) (both with and without -rtsx3v3 boot-arg)

4213fa4.thumb.png.05102f697f58144fb19d808a551f517a.png

Variant 3523d8d - System Info similar to 5842de3 but doesn't detect sdcard

3523d8d.thumb.png.fc03421abe6a54b358532d2f5dff398a.png

Variant 3523d8d_1bitbuswidthversion - everything is similar to 5842de3

3523d8d_1bitbuswidth-1.thumb.png.f4de5db8a4771da702a71dcd97b12fb9.png3523d8d_1bitbuswidth-2.thumb.png.3f0f332a2534eab89c0c62dac8a0a0ee.png

I doubt if it's the problem with sdcard variation in Mac detection (probably), IOReg shows SDXC reader but I use SDHC Card (Windows 10 could open my SDHC Card very well) and I couldn't test this as I don't have SDXC Card (Developers please find out). Also, please read my whole post and try to identify the problem with kext sir. You are doing a great job.

(I am not sure if that kind of card reader reporting in ioreg is normal or a problem from the original macbook perspective)

Note: The kexts which I posted here are taken from previous posts in this discussion and are not compiled by me.

5842de3-2.png:

5842de3-2.png

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_5842de3_DEBUG.zip 208.86 kB · 0 downloads RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_4213fa4_DEBUG.zip 209.87 kB · 0 downloads RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_3523d8d_DEBUG.zip 208.46 kB · 1 download

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_3523d8d_1BitBusWidth_DEBUG.zip 208.37 kB · 0 downloads

rtsx-5842de3-bootWithSDCard.log 93.34 kB · 0 downloads rtsx-5842de3-bootWithoutSDCard.log 0 B · 0 downloads rtsx-4213fa4-bootWithSDCard.log 120.41 kB · 0 downloads rtsx-4213fa4-bootWithoutSDCard.log 86.74 kB · 0 downloads rtsx-3523d8d-bootWithSDCard.log 0 B · 0 downloads rtsx-3523d8d-bootWithoutSDCard.log 0 B · 0 downloads rtsx-3523d8d-1bitbus-bootWithSDCard.log 121.31 kB · 0 downloads rtsx-3523d8d-1bitbus-bootWithoutSDCard.log 0 B · 0 downloads

1346526648_Screenshot2021-08-05at10_49_41AM.thumb.png.ca44de653894c8b4587070f31446bcb9.png

Update: The kexts that I mentioned earlier that detect card, it detects only non-uhs card, it doesn't detect uhs-1 card. (NO Hotplug card detection for any cards though)

@Austere.J

Edited by gnpaone

On 7/31/2021 at 8:09 AM, b0ltun said:

1) I can see info about SD card reader in "System report" (no difference if i boot with SD card inserted or not) 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:59 AM, Austere.J said:

Problem:

System Information does not list the USB card reader properly under the tab "Card Reader".

User Observation:

Device details are blank under the tab.

@b0ltun The version you tried solves this issue only.

I fixed a bug in the function that switches the bus block.

Please give a try and let's see whether commands are still timed out after the card reader switches its internal clock.

RealtekCardReader_0.9.6_851ede2_DEBUG.zip