OpenCore 2021/03/26 new icons: BtnFocus, Dot, Enter, Lock, Password, SetDefault

miliuco

10 posts in this topic

Have you noticed that in current (as of today) beta version of OpenCore 0.6.8 some new icons have been added? 

AppleRecv.icns
AppleTM.icns
BtnFocus.icns
Cursor.icns
Dot.icns
Enter.icns

ExtAppleTM.icns
ExtHardDrive.icns
HardDrive.icns
Left.icns
Lock.icns
Password.icns
Restart.icns
Right.icns
Selected.icns
Selector.icns
SetDefault.icns
Shell.icns
ShutDown.icns
Tool.icns
Windows.icns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been looking for info about the new icons in OC 0.6.8 but I haven't been able to find it.
I know that Lock and Password are used if we have configured password for OC.

And Selector changes to Default when you press the Ctrl key so that, if you press ENTER at the same time, that entry is selected by default.
But I don't know what they are for or how to use BtnFocus and Dot.

I am testing latest version of 2020/03/29 with the new icons downloaded from acidanthera's Binary Resources, everything seems to work fine.

Edited by miliuco

Yes. Lock, Password, Dot and Enter are for the password entry prompt.

SetDefault is shown when designating the default bootable device. You can now also use the +/= key for this.

BtnFocus is for when you press TAB to switch from the bootable devices to the Restart and Shutdown buttons. This image sits on top of the buttons.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Yes. Lock, Password, Dot and Enter are for the password entry prompt.

SetDefault is shown when designating the default bootable device. You can now also use the +/= key for this.

BtnFocus is for when you press TAB to switch from the bootable devices to the Restart and Shutdown buttons. This image sits on top of the buttons.

Thank you!!!

So Dot and Enter go with Lock and Password.

I didn't know how to use BtnFocus. I am going to try what you say.

Regarding SetDefault, I have observed that, when pressing Ctrl, Selector icon changes to SetDefault but, if I don't press ENTER at the same time, that entry is not marked as default.

Yes. It's a good solution for keyboard usage to allow selecting the Restart/Shutdown without the mouse. 

As for SetDefault, yeah, Ctrl + Enter is (or at least was the key combo for setting default boot option) so maybe the SetDefault icon should only display when both keys are pressed?. I've been testing with the recent addition of using the +/= key but am away from my computer ATM so can't remember exactly what happens.

3 hours ago, blackosx said:

Yes. It's a good solution for keyboard usage to allow selecting the Restart/Shutdown without the mouse. 

As for SetDefault, yeah, Ctrl + Enter is (or at least was the key combo for setting default boot option) so maybe the SetDefault icon should only display when both keys are pressed?. I've been testing with the recent addition of using the +/= key but am away from my computer ATM so can't remember exactly what happens.

In my case, Selector changes to SetDefault as long as I hold down the Ctrl key. When I release the Ctrl key, icon returns to Selector.
If I press Ctrl + ENTER the entry is marked as default boot device.
However, +/= key seems to do nothing.

EDIT: I forget I have Spanish keyboard layout, +/= key equals ¿/¡, this way it works as expected. But I prefer Ctrl + ENTER.

Edited by miliuco

9 hours ago, miliuco said:

In my case, Selector changes to SetDefault as long as I hold down the Ctrl key. When I release the Ctrl key, icon returns to Selector.
If I press Ctrl + ENTER the entry is marked as default boot device.

I agree. That is the defined behaviour. I'd previously only tested the SetDefault icon using Qemu where pressing the Ctrl key would show the SetDefault icon but then it would flicker and disappear. Trying it this morning on my hack, it works great and the icon displays when pressing Ctrl and stays until I either release the Ctrl key, or subsequently press Enter to set the default boot option and proceed with the boot.

9 hours ago, miliuco said:

However, +/= key seems to do nothing.

EDIT: I forget I have Spanish keyboard layout, +/= key equals ¿/¡, this way it works as expected. But I prefer Ctrl + ENTER.

Ah yeah. Forgot about different keyboard layouts. :)

• Like 1