[Release] macOS Big Sur 11.2-11.2.1-11.2.2-11.2.3

gengik84

112 posts in this topic

After ten mouths of being locked out of the Hackintosh world, I have managed to install macOS Big Sur 11.2 using Clover. In the previous ten mounths I see that OpenCore has really taken hold of the Hackintosh world. I also know that, now, Clover and OpenCore share a large point of their code, so I opted for Clover, being a familiar enviorement from Yosemite to Catalina. Yet, I used the Virtual SMC and the rest of the kexts from the Acidanthera team. The OS seemed well installed, well behaved on the new Hackintosh (Intel i3), then the 11.2.1 update came. The installed os was unable to download neither the update package, or the new, updated, macOS Big Sur install app. I use the latest Clover and the systems definitions of iMac 14.4 .

Meanwhile, I have discovered the GibMacOS tool, downloaded it and tried it. I have three machines, one is the Hackintosh (Acer based Intel i3, 4 gb of ram), another runs Ubuntu 20.04 (installed from DVD, the USB function was broken on the motherboard, it is the former Hackintosh), also tried the GibMacOS tool on them, neither showed the updated install app with 11.2.1 , only 11.2 . I was able to download the update pkg, yet, using this tool, but I would like to download the full installer for 11.2.1, to put it on the USB drive, before I take my chance and run the pkg file. Any way to download the full installer of 11.2.1 from Apple? I am not too familiar with OpenCore itself, but with Clover.

Open Core solution is csr-active-config to 00000000 in NVRM

for clover try Method 2: config.plist

1. Open config.plist in Clover Configurator
  2. Navigate RT Variables > CsrActivateConfig
  3. Change CsrActivateConfig to appropriate value
    2. Enable SIP: 0x00
  4. Reboot Hackintosh to apply changes
Edited by IUTniun

43 minutes ago, IUTniun said:

Open Core solution is csr-active-config to 00000000 in NVRM

for clover try Method 2: config.plist

1. Open config.plist in Clover Configurator
  2. Navigate RT Variables > CsrActivateConfig
  3. Change CsrActivateConfig to appropriate value
    2. Enable SIP: 0x00
  4. Reboot Hackintosh to apply changes

SIP would brake my configuration, if enabled. I first attempted to install 11.0.1 and then update to 11.1 . The result was that, after a few restarts, after the update to 11.1, the system was unable to boot with the message that the root volume is read only.

I have checked GibMacOS utility today, the update package for 11.2.1 was no longer there. I also seem to have lost the downloaded file.

Edited by Vyzantion

You are doomed sir, a Big Sur install with sip disabled will not find an update at all. It will always say you're up to date.

You would need to find out why sip breaks your system and fix it, a properly configured hack will work with sip enabled.

• Like 1

But if SIP is the culprit, why on the Linux machine and the other two Windows machines (that were not connected to my ISP, since they where from other places then my house) 11.2.1 was not seen in GibMacOS, but 11.2 was seen? I mean the full macOS install app, not the update pkg .

Edited by Vyzantion

Tried first 0x67, then 0x00 . Neither worked. It is the same as before: when I check for updates, I get offered to download a 12 gb update, that is clearly not the 11.2.1 update, but the full macOS installer; and when I check the App Store, I get only 11.2 . So I reverted to the initial state of the config.plist, then one I shared earlier. Perhaps there are some clues of how to get out of this and download the full Big Sur install app with 11.2.1 . 

12 hours ago, moozuki said:

You are doomed sir, a Big Sur install with sip disabled will not find an update at all. It will always say you're up to date.

You would need to find out why sip breaks your system and fix it, a properly configured hack will work with sip enabled.

Good that garbage notification is finally gone from my system preferences on Catalina I had wondered why, yet another reason to have it disabled..

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

Simple: define an NVRAM parameter/variable with Terminal and reboot; if it's still present after reboot with its associated value, NVRAM is working; if it's not present, you don't have working NVRAM. Applicable whether NVRAM is native or emulated.

Example:

to define a parameter called "test" and assign it value "hello":

sudo nvram test=hello

to check the presence of the nvram parameter:

nvram -p | grep test

Done. The parameter was there after reboot.

Running csrutil enable probably does not make sense, when I changed the parameters using Clover Configurator, being on verbose mode, the OS showed that SIP was enabled yet, it did not work to get what I needed. Sources on Apple OpenSources for macOS are not updated for 11.2.1 , we have only for 11.2 the latest.

Edited by Vyzantion

What is correct csr-active-config for OC 064 that will allow booting non-signed kexts and still allow updates?

Anyone having trouble with recovery mode toggle to csrutil enable and csrutil authenticated-root enable?  Getting a message about some kind of custom configuration but not enabling in either case?

21 minutes ago, HenryV said:

What is correct csr-active-config for OC 064 that will allow booting non-signed kexts and still allow updates?

Anyone having trouble with recovery mode toggle to csrutil enable and csrutil authenticated-root enable?  Getting a message about some kind of custom configuration but not enabling in either case?

0x3E7 as in Clover by default.

2 hours ago, Slice said:

Almost correct but there is also

#define CSR_ALLOW_UNAPPROVED_KEXTS (1<<9)

which is 0x200

Thanks!

I'm using 0x01 from High Sierra for allowing unsigned kexts inside /Library/Extensions. That is still the case here on Big Sur.

A Question: what is the diff between Unapproved kext and Unsigned kext?

On 2/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, Vyzantion said:

But if SIP is the culprit, why on the Linux machine and the other two Windows machines (that were not connected to my ISP, since they where from other places then my house) 11.2.1 was not seen in GibMacOS, but 11.2 was seen? I mean the full macOS install app, not the update pkg .

do you have an apple developer account? if so, you may have installed the latest Beta version, which was strictly the same as 11.2.1 so its download is not offered to you.

1 hour ago, kushwavez said:

Thanks!

I'm using 0x01 from High Sierra for allowing unsigned kexts inside /Library/Extensions. That is still the case here on Big Sur.

A Question: what is the diff between Unapproved kext and Unsigned kext?

Just thinking.

Unsigned kext allowing means that the system will not block them, right? 

So Unapproved kext allowing means that there will be no popup window saying "System Extension Blocked..." and no need to allow it from System Preferences -> Security & Privacy?

I was able to download the updated Big Sur using GibmacOS download tool. I shall install it those days from scratch, when I have some time. It seems that the update does not come on System Proprieties, probably the clean install is the only option.

Regarding the discussion about SIP, perhaps I need to mention that I use the following boot arg: amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1 .

On 2/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, Slice said:

0x3E7 as in Clover by default.

csr-active-config in OC 063 with csrutil enable and csrutil authenticated-root enable shows 10000000 when queried in terminal: nvram csr-active-config.

However, 11.2.1 update is still not showing in software update, shows up to date. 

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

That's for unsupported platforms (cf dosdude1's Catalina patcher). What kind of system are you using this on?

Not an unsupported real Mac, that is for sure. It a system made from refurbished parts, the shop that put this together knew little about Hackintoshing. I have used this tool to make the installation pen drive from the install app https://github.com/moosethegoose2213/automator-for-barrykn-micropatcher It contains the Micropatcher for Big Sur, developed by the users of Macrumors. My initial plan was to use the patches for unsupported Macs (a recipy that worked on my previous Asus based Hackintosh), but I have tried to boot it without patches and it worked fine, patches were not applied, unless they were without me actually seeing it. It seems to be placed a boot flag, I do not remember its exact form, about no integrity checks. This system does not have a GPU the Intel i3 CPU had only HD Graphics 2000, Metal not supported. I have used Whatever Green and Lilu for the first time, my previous configuration made it without them. Switched to VirtualSMC from FakeSMC. I kept Clover, instead of OpenCOre, being more familiar with it, having a GUI. Because Clover shared some code with OpenCore, some of the benefits of OpenCore are now in Clover, this risk of messing up by forgetting something was much small. I have also used some other recommended kexts and one extracted from a distro . I know in here distros are not recommended, this is not a distro installation, just that kext taken from it. This a half blind attempt, for now it worked to install.

I have managed to find what the motherboard I have is. It is the former motherboard from an Acer Veriton x2611 . I have 4 gb of ram, I already said about the CPU and graphics. I have posted the content of the EFI partition last week, for more details.