New iPod

Swad

5 posts in this topic

It's not the design; they haven't changed it since the Mini came out. It's the features. Basically, this is going to cause more adoption of video services, not to mention video DRM. I wouldn't buy this now. Wait until they enlarge the screen (they will probably do it sometime).

ThinkSecret appears to be reporting that this is only a launch stand-in for a future iPod video (possibly with a widescreen-based design?)

This isn't just some wacky rumor. It's very likely that something like the iPlay you linked to or another video-adapted design will come to fruition.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0510oct12e.html

The video playback capability, which sources say is in fact available in current models but is disabled, will be geared towards watching broadcast content, video podcasts, and other shorter videos, but Apple will not be offering movies to purchase at this time. Instead, the company is hoping to roll out a movie store later in 2006 when the "real" video iPod, which will sport a larger widescreen display wrapped in a new casing, will debut.

I'm not a fan. Would rather have seen them releasing this instead. The screen orientation is wrong for video and it looks a little clumsy to me.
Yep, I find the new one quite unimaginative, not to say boring. But thankfully it's at least also available in black like the nano. I like black much better than white.