New Monitor for Mac Pro 5,1 2x2.4Ghz Radeon HD 5770 running Snow Leopard

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

The Mac Pro listed above needs a new monitor.

The reason I have not upgraded the OS along the way is because I'm comfortable with Snow Leopard, and I don't want to obsolete some early versions of software that I like.

I just bought (and then returned because I couldn't make it work, even with help from OEM tech support) a Viewsonic VP2768 flat panel.  It came with a DisplayPort-to-miniDisplayPort cable, but all I could get out of it was a little gray square on the screen saying "No Signal Detected."  Tech support was stumped.

I was using a Lacie Electron Blue 19" CRT, which was fine until it wasn't.  I scarfed it from the G4 I had before this 2010 Mac Pro. 

Is there a monitor, preferably flat panel, that will work with this Mac Pro?  Maybe one of the old 27" Cinema Displays?  Or something new, but adaptable?

Please help.

Many thanks,

MGB

Depends on your budget. How much would you like to spend?

There are many great new DELL, LG, Samsung and ASUS monitors out there with IPS technology, great color-gamut and with resolutions from 1080p up all the way to 4K, and with refresh rates up to 120-240hz (a standard display can only do 60hz and can be tiresome to the eyes after awhile. With a monitor that's 120 or even 240hz you don't get eye strain, headaches but a much more nice smooth natural image).

Keep in mind, though, that not all monitors these days come with a DVI port. So if you're planning to use DVI, be sure to check the specs before buying it.

As far as MacOS goes, my old 2010 17" Macbook Pro died with Snow Leopard. That was the most stable and innovative (for the time) OS ever released by Apple.

If I may ask, what exact criteria do I need to filter the monitor models through to determine their compatibility with the Mac Pro?  Price is not the primary concern.  Image quality for Photoshop (etc) and editing photographs is.  It has to work with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 as well.

I'd like to use the port (DVI or Mini Display Port) that best communicates with the monitor. I am really agnostic in this regard, except as it pertains to image quality.

Thanks

Edited by 1970mgbgt
add more info