[GUIDE] Upgrading Clover for mac11+ compatibility using OpenRuntime and Quirks (r5123+)

Guest 5T33Z0
102 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2021 at 4:45 AM, 5T33Z0 said:

@makk

1. Why are you using 3 different mouse drivers?
  2. disable all but essential kexts
  3. Why are you using both BrcmPatchRAM2 AND BrcmNonPatchRAM2… it makes no sense
  4. BrcmFirmwareRepo cannot be injected through a bootloader, it has to be installed to S/L/E. Use BrcmFirmwareData.kext instead. Read the documentation!
  5. NoTouchID is no longer required for Catalina and onward
  6. Are SATA unsupported and XHCI unsupported are really necessary?
  7. Start with the most minimal config possible: APFSDriverLoader, HFSPlus and Openruntime for drivers
  8. Lilu, virtualsmc and whatevergreen as kexts.

Thank you for your diagnosis! Great Thanks! Greatly appreciate your insight and expertise!

1> I am not doing fresh install wipe drive. I am performing upgrade as I do not have anything else loaded nor installed. I took them off to have just the basics to upgrade.  

2> I had pulled the /L/E kexts into EFI to test which ones' are needed I have deleted the Broadcom kexts a while back that was an inaccurate screen shot, I had just pulled them out of /L/E.

This was originally Rehabman's Project for HP Probook for Mojave that put all these kexts into /L/E I just removed them and placed them in

the EFI to see which ones I would require.  

Have two mouse drivers as it was acting up on install where the touchpad would flake then I put in the USBmouse. The screen shot is misleading if you look it is two different shots overlaid. Jedi Mind Trick.

I was unaware of unsupported SATA and XHCI kext were no longer necessary as this was from Rehabman's project and everything worked with a few corrections.

I've seen where others are using NoTouchID.kext in Catalina and Big Sur. I have looked at their config.plist  it is to me a not needed thing

never had an issue I put in because at the Rehabman's Project page several were suggesting to install.

I switched back to FakeSMC due to the sensors not working with VirtualSMC.  One of things on the list of things to do.

#>What I ran into while trying to install Big Sur on the third reboot was the message SMC is not used any longer then it shutdown the third time.

3> I would assume to remove all the kexts as you mentioned but what I did was turned them off in Clover boot menu each time before during the install process which rebooted 3 three times.  On the third reboot prior to getting to console to finish the install is when the message came about: SMC is no longer necessary or used in this system then it shutdown and that was the end of that. Had to reinstall Catalina.

4> I am not aware of all the ins and outs as I got sketchy profiles from others.  I know that I had to use OcQuirks.efi to get Catalina to boot and take the Quirks in Catalina and it works I have no problems.  So I am wondering if it is necessary regardless of others machines. 

I would greatly appreciate your diagnosis again.  

This is my first good working hack, the Asus had all kinds of issues I could not get straight because it was scarce and HD3000 isn't the greatest. Running legacy and not UEFI. So to me this HP is honey and cream. Everything works thanks to Rehabman's work. It is great. However he quit at Mojave. Had to go back to the site I had gotten the project from and ask questions but bits and pieces and sketchy because this is 450 G2 not many have this one.  Mostly Elite HP's.  This HP is rather new thing for me and I do not want to mess it up.

and a different animal and quite a relief actually from the old Asus.

In the SSDT's section there is an SSDT-IGPU.aml it is turned off from loading int Sorted Order it was causing Whatevergreen.kext conflicts and could not boot into get Console.  That was the culprit plus I had to turn off the patches in ACPI for GFX to IGPU and BOD to HDAU and HDAS to HDEF so that APPLEALC and Whatevergeen could do their patching.  There are tons of battery patches there as well and a few others.  G3 G4's when I disabled them would not boot.  I wondering if Rehabman meant G2,G3,G4?  Because when I did disable them I got a not boot situation.

Thank you kindly

Makk

I've uploaded accurate screen shots of my EFI and current config.plist minus SMBIOS

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.34.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.35.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 9.35.23 PM.png

config.plist

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.39.26 AM.png

Edited by makk

Question:

Will Big Sur and Catalina habitate on same drive? 

UPDATE YES IT DOES!

FINALLY SUCCESS BIG SUR

But no Atheros wifi.

Everything works just no wifi kext. I'm 

Does anybody have Atheros wifi?

VirtualSMC.kext:

for the CPU Sensor I do not get the speeds in freqs.  Just the power and heat

I am using Chris1111 latest HWMonitor which was made for FakeSMC.kext

With Chris1111 latest it works perfect in Catalina with FakeSMC.kext

Not sure if FakeSMC will boot Big Sur.

How to mount Big Sur with Read Write?  Is there a simple way?

Had to remove many kexts and still working on some the patches in Clover ACPI to see what is necessary.

Did not have success with Opencore no audio. no battery. no PNLF

I think Opencore boots faster and takes care of all these. Yet I am having to go through Rehabman's Project

to see what is no longer needed.  Time consuming and a bit freaky.

Thanks 5T33Z0 

Edited by makk

On 4/25/2021 at 2:04 AM, makk said:

5T33Z0

Greetings

I ran into a problem where I put OC on USB EFI all of a sudden it is not recognized upon selecting to boot from it.

So I erased and formatted twice. Placed the EFI folder back.  Tried at least dozen times replacing BOOTX64.efi and OCboot.efi

from different versions. I downloaded fresh ones to see if corruption.  My system doesn't recognize as bootable.

Then I placed Clove EFI in and it was recognized.  This is rather strange.

Have you ever encountered this problem? What could be the issue?

19 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Clean NVRAM

Download Clover r5134 and use Config Validaor Tool to check config for errors. https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases/tag/5134

I am having Clover and OC EFI Folders on my system and can switch back in forth witout issues. Must be a config issue.

Right,

The problem is I'm using an USB to boot up OC to test before choosing it.

However on the USB never had this problem.  I found the reason.  Not bootable media is the message. lol not bootable.

On main drive EFI it boots and brings me into Console.

No audio, no Battery Icon. No Trackpad. and one other deal.

Went to 6.5 still same problem.   

But I can live without OC.

Everything works on Clover except the new VoodooPS2Controller.kext.  Trackpad borks with 2 bytes missing message on boot. strange.

Cleared NVRAM several times and still the same problems.

The Canopy doesn't load some message stating External could not be found. Rather interesting.

Thanks

For those who have HP EliteBook 820 G3 Skylake HD520 i7-6600u - Conexant 103c807c audio codec - I've just installed Big Sur 11.3 using Clover V5130. I've replaced the original Wifi Module with DW1820a. Attached is the sample config file for clover. For battery use Rehabman #battery_HP-Elite-X2.txt patch. SMBIOS macbookpro 13,2

Cheers,

Louis

elitebook_820_g3_battery_patch.png

mbpro132_battery.png

big_sur_mbp132_clover_kexts.png

configpro132_bs_sample.plist.zip

big_sur_pro132.png

Edited by ltooz_audis

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @5T33Z0 or @Slice

There's an equivalent of the CsrActiveConfig value on Clover to use at Big Sur?

I ask this because at OC we have different values for each macOS.

At the moment I'm using these values:

<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string>

Thank you :)

6 minutes ago, Allan said:

Hey @5T33Z0 or @Slice

<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<string>0x67</string>

BooterConfig is some other value not fully understanded.

CsrActiveConfig is for SIP.

0 == SIP enabled, I can boot BigSur even with this value.

0x10 == OS update disabled, value 0x377 will be dangerous if you want to get updates

0xFFF == all disabled

0x1 == we can use unsigned kexts (I have no such)

0x285 == for my mind the best for Hackintosh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Allan said:

Hey @5T33Z0 or @Slice

<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<string>0x67</string>

Slice advised me a few months ago to use 0x285 for Big Sur (it also allows updates to be correct). However, I do not know the details of the parameters. :)

• Thanks 1

After updating to Clover revision 5135, my boot up screen show 

0:133  0:000  There is problems in plist '\EFI\CLOVER\config.plist'
0:138  0:005  Warning: Unknown key '/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:967'. Skipped.
0:145  0:006  Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:1184'. Skipped.
0:150  0:005  Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/ProvideConsoleGopEnable:1227'. Skipped.
0:157  0:006  Use CloverConfigPlistValidator or look in the log

I was able to fix /KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:967' and '/Quirks/ProvideConsoleGopEnable:1227'. Skipped. but not '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:1184'.

I enabled DisableRtcChecksum in Quirks reboot and still show that error. I even disabled. same result.

27 minutes ago, loganMac said:

After updating to Clover revision 5135, my boot up screen show 

I was able to fix /KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:967' and '/Quirks/ProvideConsoleGopEnable:1227'. Skipped. but not '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:1184'.

I enabled DisableRtcChecksum in Quirks reboot and still show that error. I even disabled. same result.

Old quirks DisableRtcChecksum was removed and replaced by fix AppleRTC. See page #1 on this thread.

10 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Old quirks DisableRtcChecksum was removed and replaced by fix AppleRTC. See page #1 on this thread.

I did F11 to clear NVRAM.  I unchecked DisableRtcChecksum and checked AppleRTC.  Same result.  I checked both DisableRtcChecksum and AppleRTC, same result as Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:997'. Skipped.

2 hours ago, loganMac said:

I did F11 to clear NVRAM.  I unchecked DisableRtcChecksum and checked AppleRTC.  Same result.  I checked both DisableRtcChecksum and AppleRTC, same result as Warning: Unknown key '/Quirks/DisableRtcChecksum:997'. Skipped.

Delete DisableRtcChecksum. This quirk is no more available. That's why Clover puts an alert message. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide. I've now successfully booted big sur with both clover and oc.  Both working great. It's been a while since I posted. I realize my sig needs updating.

Edited by pet1

• 11 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 6:48 PM, 5T33Z0 said:

Latest Update: January 5th, 2022. Guide is applicable to: Clover r5123 to r5143+ (UEFI only)

Background: Since the Pre-Release of Clover r5123, OpenCore's Memory Fixes have been integrated completely into Clover in the form of OpenRuntime.efi, replacing the previously used AptioMemoryFixes. Since r5126 these are now obsolete and no longer supported, so an upgrade to r5126 or later is mandatory in order to be able to install and boot macOS Big Sur and Monterey with Clover!

Aim: This guide is for everyone trying to update to the latest revision of Clover, so they can install and run Big Sur and newer on their machines. When updating to the latest revision of Clover, there are several obstacles one might face along the way. This guide is here to assist users in trying to make the switch from the "old" Clover with AptioMemoryFixes to the new one with Open Runtime and Quirks (make sure to update Clover Configurator to the latest version as well).

Problem: If you update your existing Clover installation by installing the clover.pkg file like you used to, this will most likely result in an inoperable bootlader due to missing boot parameters in the config.plist.

Approach: In order to avoid the dilemma of your system not wanting to boot, you have to know that the following files are obsolete and are no longer necessary, so they should either be deleted when updating Clover from a built prior to r5123 or omitted altogether when setting up a new EFI Folder:

• AptioMemoryFixes: AptioMemoryFix.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, OsxAptioFixDrv.efi and everything else containing "memoryfix".
  • Unnecessary Drivers (for UEFI-based Systems):
    • DataHubDxe.efi DataHub protocol which provides parameters like OEM Model, FSBFrequency, ARTFrequency, Clover's boot-log and many other things to macOS which it cannot obtain otherwise. It has been fully integrated into Clover since r5129, so delete it. Newer versions of the Clover Package don't contain this driver anyway.
    • EmuVariableUefi.efi – necessary for emulating NVRAM, if it is not available (legacy systems) or working incorrectly.
    • FSInject.efi – For Kext injection. Necessary only for legacy versions of macOS ≤ 10.7 (Lion) which are capable of loading individual kexts instead of prelinkedkernel. Fully integrated in Clover nowadays, so delete it.
    • OcQuirks.efi and OcQuirks.plist – delete if present. OcQuirks is a relic from earlier attempts to include OpenCore Booter Quirks into Clover up until r5122.
    • SMCHelper.efi – Necessary when using FakeSMC.kext only. If you use it in combination with VirtualSMC.efi, it can cause Kernel Panics. In other words: VirtualSMC + VirtualSMC.efi = good; FakeSMC + SMCHelper.efi = good; any other combination = bad. Nowadays, using VirtualSMC.kext alone is sufficient and recommended.

• Kexts:
    • Outdated, incompatible or duplicate Kexts (and variations thereof) can cause boot crashes, kernel panics and general system instability. Therefore, you should always keep your kexts up to date for maximum compatibility with macOS and Clover! You can use Kext-Updater to download the latest kexts and other Bootloader-related files or you Clover Configurators integrated Kext Update function.
    • If you are using a lot of Kexts (usually on Laptops), have a look inside of them (right-click and select "Show Package Contents") to check if they include additional kexts (as "Plugins") and make sure that no duplicates of them exist in the "kexts" folder. Kexts for HID, WiFi and Bluetooth come to mind.
    • If you get panics you can not isolate, move all non-essential kexts to the "off" folder temporarily to work around the issue by starting with a minimal set of Kexts to get the system running. Once it runs, put the disabled Kexts back one at a time, reboot, and repeat until you to find the culprit for the panic and look for a solution (verbose mode is your friend). Here are some examples of Kexts I've experienced issues with when updating:
      • VoodooPS2Controller.kext: can cause Kernel Panic if one of it's Plugins (VoodooInput.lext, VoodooPS2Mouse.kext, VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext) is also present at the root level of the "kexts" Folder.
      • AirportBrcmFixup.kext: this Kexts contains 2 Plugins, AirPortBrcm4360_Injector and AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext. When using AirPortBrcmFixup, you are  supposed to use only one of these plugins, not both! Using both can cause the boot process to stall indefinitely. On top of that, AirPortBrcm4360_Injector is not supported by macOS Big Sur and has to be disabled anyway. In OpenCore, you can just disable a Kext in the config. Since the Clover config does not support to take control of the kext loading sequence, you have to delete it from the Kext itself (right click on AirportBrcmFixup, select "Show package contents" > "Plugins").
      • BrcmPatchRAM and a bad combination of it's accompanying kexts can cause issues as well. Don't use BlueToolFixup.kext and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext together. Former is needed for enabling Bluetooth in macOS Monterey where the latter is used in earlier versions of macOS.

Updating your EFI

1. Prepare an USB Stick. Format it to FAT32 (MBR). We'll use it for testing our updated EFI Folder first, before copying it to the ESP on the HDD.
  2. Download the latest Clover Release  as a .zip archive for a manual update: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases
  3. Extract the .zip. We'll create our EFI Folder based on the one inside of it.
  4. Have a look at "EFI > Clover > drivers > off > UEFI" and it's sub-folders. Inside of them, you will fibd the following Files:2138534172_CloverDrivers.thumb.jpg.9a71326c91b5d32edd3e10eadb8194a7.jpg
  5. Copy the following files over to EFI > Clover > drivers > UEFI: ApfsDriverLoader.efi, VBoxHfs.efi (or HfsPlus.efi, which is faster) and OpenRuntime.efi
  6. Now we have a minimal set of Drivers (see screenshot below). Files tagged in gray are in the "drivers" Folder by default and are most likely unnecessary for UEFI-based systems. I would move them into the "off" folder one by one to disable them and check if the system still boots from the USB stick without them. AudioDXE.efi is only needed for playing back audio files like boot chimes - so if you don't use any, you can delete it. As mentioned earlier, SMCHelper MUST be deleted when using VirualSMC.kext!
    2130302593_Bildschirmfoto2020-11-17um19_44_49.png.2c1032a8f12f39774ebeddf6e92f1f30.png
  7. Next, copy over your kexts (updated to the latest available version, of course), your ACPI > patched folder and your config.plist form your existing EFI Folder
  8. Open Clover Configurator and update it to the latest Version. It should now include a new section at the bottom called Quirks, as mentioned earlier
  9. Now open your config.plist you copied over from your working EFI and click on "Quirks". It consists of 2 Tabs: Booter…
    Booter.thumb.png.ce74281e4cc76601a47d38b6d0b2069c.png

and "Kernel":
    833329187_Kernelscheme.thumb.png.27edb820c6b79532049b82a08c25ddf9.png
  10. Head over to the OpenCore Install Guide and pick the guide for your CPU Family and Platform.
  11. Jump to the "Booter" Section. It contains all required Booter Quirks. Make sure to unfold the "more in-depth info" box to see what they do. Find the options for your system and tick them away in Clover Configurator.
  12. Next, jump to the "Kernel" section of Dortania's guide and copy over the necessary Kernel, Emulate and Scheme settings to the "Kernel" Tab in Clover Configurator. Again, make sure to unfold the "more in-depth" section to find all necessary settings.
  13. ATTENTION: Some of the OpenCore "Kernel Quirks" have different names and are located in the "Kernel and Kext Patches" section of Clover Configurator. These include:
    Quirks.thumb.png.1d34c2c0dde1d755a38ea2406c37da4a.png
    In most cases you have these set up correctly already, otherwise your system wouldn't have started before. But it's good to double check if you have settings enabled which may be unnecessary.
  14. Whilst you are in the Kernel and Kext Patches section anyway, you can disable/delete all the old USB port limit patches, since this is handled by XhciPortLimit patch now (since macOS Catalina, a USBPort.kext is required)
  15. Once you've ticked all the necessary quirks, save your configuration, copy the new EFI Folder to the root of your USB Flash Drive and try booting from it. If everything was set up correctly, the system should boot as expected.
  16. In the Clover Boot menu, perform an NVRAM Reset (F11) to clean out possible remnants of previous Aptio Memory Fixes and then start macOS.
  17. If it does boot, you can mount the ESP partition of your hard drive, backup your ole EFI Folder, delete it and put in the one from your USB Flash drive to make the changes permanent.

VALIDATING YOUR CONFIG and FIXING ERRORS:

Starting from version r5134, Clover now includes error reporting similar to OpenCore which displays configuration errors before the actual boot menu appears. Do the following to validate your config and fix configuration errors:

• Download CloverConfigPlistValidator.zip contained in the Assets of the Clover release: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases
  • Unpack it
  • Open Terminal
  • Drag CloverConfigPlistValidator into it and hit the right arrow key once, so the file path is no longer highlighted
  • Next, drag and drop your clover config.plist into the terminal window. Make sure there is a blank space between the 2 file paths
  • Hit "Enter"
  • Check the results. If it says: "Your plist looks so wonderful. Well done!", then you don't have to do anything else.
  • If there are errors shown in the log, open both your config.plist and the config-sample.plist included in the Clover download – preferably in a plist editor. Look for any differences (like formatting, deleted features, etc.) and fix them
  • Save your config
  • Re-check for errors
  • Repeat comparison, fixing, saving and re-checking until all issues are resolved

FURTHER RESOURCE AND TROUBLESHOOTING:

Good luck!

PS: If you run into trouble after following this guide you can upload your config.plist and I can have a look at the quirks.

PSS: When running Big Sur, you need to remove the PreBoot Volume from the "Hide" Section of the GUI because if I understand correctly, Big Sur requires booting from it.

PSSS: if your system boots correctly you can upload a screenshot with your quirks with additional Info like your Board and CPU which might be helpful for other users.

thanks.

if people are following rehabmans guide " [Guide] HP ProBook/EliteBook/Zbook using Clover UEFI hotpatch "

how can they use the current newest version of clover, to install and boot, monterey 12.3.1 if possible.

or earlier mac osx versions 10.xx

Guest 5T33Z0

@justApple I've upgrades Rehabmans Laptop Configs to support the new Clover version with Quirks. You can find them here: https://github.com/5T33Z0/Clover-Crate/tree/main/Laptop_Configs

In there you will find the required quirks and device properties. You just have to copy over whatever you need from the new config to the old. As far as I am aware, Rehabman reitred a long time ago. For macOS Monterey you would have to checck if the iGPU etc are stiill supoorted. Create a post in the respective sub-forum for laptops or macOS Monterey. It's off-topic here.

Edited by 5T33Z0

• 2 months later...

On clover 5148, can the AptioMemoryFix be replaced with open runtime and OcQuirks in 10.15? SMCHelper? Loaded up and the answer is no. This version of MacOs is not supported on this platform.

Edited by chummdoggin