4 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. I would like to upgrade to BigSur from Mojave but, in the software update, I only see the option to upgrade to Catalina. Since the hardware of my hackintosh is quite recent, I think that the problem could be the type of iMac and the year of manufacture that appears in my MacOS. In particular, my hackintosh turns out to be an iMac late 2013 which, in the properties of BigSur, would not seem to be supported. Two questions: how can I change the Mac and the year of production? Does the change affect the ability to boot normally? In the sense: I change the type of Mac and MacOS doesn't run anymore?

Thanks a lot

You're spot on. Your current SMBIOS is one of a model unsupported by Big Sur so you'll never get offered the update. If your Hackintosh is the desktop computer listed in signature, there's absolutely no reason why you'd have used the SMBIOS for a 2013 iMac. Instead, you should have been using something like iMac19,1 which is also a 9th gen Coffee Lake platform. That will have no issue getting you the Big Sur update in AppStore/Software Update.

If you run with Clover, open up your config in Clover Configurator , go to SMBIOS tab and select iMac19,1. Then go to Rt Variables tab, generate a new ROM number and copy/paste the MLB number from the black box to the MLB field. Save your Clover config and reboot. I take it you're aware that you're unlikely to succeed the upgrade to Big Sur if you run Clover...

If you run with OpenCore, you can either generate SMBIOS data (ROM, MLB, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID) in GenSMBIOS tool and paste that into your OC config or simply copy/paste those numbers from Clover configurator into your OC config. Save your OC config, reboot and Reset NVRAM before booting Mojave. You may then proceed with the upgrade to Big Sur.

Alternatively, create a fresh Big Sur USB installer and install Big Sur over your existing Mojave partition/disk without reformatting anything. That'll perform the equivalent of an upgrade and you'll keep all existing files and apps.

43 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Alternatively, create a fresh Big Sur USB installer and install Big Sur over your existing Mojave partition/disk without reformatting anything. That'll perform the equivalent of an upgrade and you'll keep all existing files and apps.

Is this solution also applicable without deleting Clover? Or do I necessarily have to use OpenCore?

Thank you so much!

I have no idea whether you'd be able to boot Big Sur, once installed, with Clover. You'd need to update Clover to latest version for sure. There are numerous mixed reports on this point, some people reporting success, some reporting failure. You'll have to make your own experimentations...

Having updated Clover, you may leave your EFI partition unchanged on your disk but boot Big Sur with OC via your USB installer to begin with. Once you're satisfied you can boot Big Sur with OC without problems, you may try it out with Clover. If it fails, just mount your disk's EFI partition, wipe out its (Clover) contents and copy your OC EFI folder there. You'll then be able to boot Big Sur with OC.

Good luck!