Open source cross-platform OpenCore Auxiliary Tools(OCAT)

ic005k
571 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I think this issue only occurs after saving the file and then rebooting without quitting the app.

I think this problem has something to do with config.plist being opened by some text editor. Please recall carefully if your config.plist was opened by a text editor when this problem occurred.

@5T33Z0In terms of technical principles, if this problem was created by OCAT, then it would have been a problem to begin with, that is, as soon as the config.plist is saved, it would destroy that config.plist.
Although I am interested in this issue, I still can't figure it out at the moment and I will continue to analyze it.

1 hour ago, niknod said:

I had same problem I updated using ocat than when opened with proper tree and sync and saved it destroyed my config.plist wouldn't boot.

Ok so two members so far has reported a particular problem with OCAT, I have never experienced such a problem from it's first introduction. In @niknod case could it be you used another app (proper tree) in conjunction with OCAT which didn't play well with each other?  I will download the nightly version of OC (4a740c3) and build an EFI Folder using the latest OCAT version and see if there is a problem within the app.

Update on testing OCAT:

1. Built an EFI Folder using the latest nightly OC version (4a740c3)

2. Used my long winded method of using PlistEdit Pro side by side to compare my old config.plist to the Sample.plist and make physical line by line changes and entries (copy and paste), not relying on automated apps at this point.

3. When all entries and edits are done, I use the ocvalidate app within the nightly EFI Folder to check for errors and got no errors.

4. Change the name from sample.plist to config.plist and reboot, at the boot menu I clean NvRAM twice and boot to desktop.

5. At the desktop I used OCAT to mount the EFI Partition and open the config.plist, with the config.plist opened in OCAT, I made some subtle changes. I changed the GUI from one of my @chris1111 entries to Auto and saved the change.

6. Next I used OCAT OC Validate builtin app to check for errors - No errors.

7. Next I used 'Synchronise OC main program' and the line '/Applications/OCAuxillary Tools.app/Contents.......................' in the left column came up in red.

8. In the right column '/Users/esaf/EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi' also came up in red, after I pressed the Synchronise Button, they both turned to green, which reverted me to OC 0.7.4 which is understandable as I was  using a Nightly OC version.

9. After all these changes were made I saved and rebooted, cleaned NVRAM and booted to the Desktop without any problems albeit it reverted OC to the official released 0.7.4 version.

I am not doubting the findings by others, the above is based on my experience and the tests I carried out faithfully. As I surmised earlier, maybe OCAT conflicts with other apps when used in conjunction when building the EFI Folder.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, niknod said:

I had same problem I updated using ocat than when opened with proper tree and sync and saved it destroyed my config.plist wouldn't boot.

The corruption we are talking about is that the file is corrupted and cannot be opened, for example, when you open this config.plist with a text editor, it shows a mess of codes, not that the OC is not set correctly and cannot be booted.
Please provide your corrupted config.plist file and I will analyze it on my side, thanks.

2 hours ago, niknod said:

Also if I sync and save with OCAT and I use sanity checker it shows as uefi drivers openruntime and OpenHfsPlus disabled. but in OCAT UEFI Drivers shows Enabled

I don't know but is Sanity Checker updated as of late?

I just checked and Sanity Checker has not been updated since OC version 0.6.0 so in essence, one should not be using this antiquated outdated app as OC has moved on in leaps and bounds since then, no wonder @niknod is having such a hard time when mixing it with OCAT and getting his config.plist in a right mess.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

@niknod

Also, if you need to use OCAT's Sync OC feature, you need to save your config.plist and upgrade it to the latest version at the same time.

If you just synchronize the OC without upgrading the config.plist (save it in OCAT), the OC may not boot properly.

11 minutes ago, niknod said:

I use sanity checker

What is this software? Is it officially provided by OC? Otherwise, please ignore it.
All the tools used by OCAT are officially provided by OC, please refer to OC official.

• Like 1

Guest 5T33Z0
2 hours ago, ic005k said:

@niknod

What is this software? Is it officially provided by OC? Otherwise, please ignore it.

All the tools used by OCAT are officially provided by OC, please refer to OC official.

It's a website which uses data from the install guide to compare it with the settings in the config.plist to check if you have the correct settings for the selected cpu family. It is no longer maintained.

https://opencore.slowgeek.com/ 

@5T33Z0I recommend that you only use OCAT for now and suspend the other editors, or upgrade the other editors to the latest version and see what happens. If you use OCAT alone, I believe there will be no problem.
As always, you are welcome to suggest improvements or ask any questions about OCAT. Thank you.

@ic005k Okay. One thing I wish would be different is the behavior of the "Generate"  function in the ProductInfo Section. As of now, it auto-generates new SMBIOS Data as soon as you change the model. If I change the SystemProductName from MacBookPro10,1 to MacBookPro11,4 (which I need to do for installing macOS Monterey Updates), it generates new SMBIOS data automatically. It would be good if it wouldn't do that automatically. Otherwise I have to edit the file in a plist editor. So, changing the generate options from auto to manual would be useful.

Edited by 5T33Z0

@ic005k When updating OpenCore and Resources, it puts .icns files where they don't belong.

"Image" folder structure in original OcBinaryData:

Bildschirmfoto.png.6d55fb510e1e00268734e94dd54d3d3c.png

Image folder after updating with OCAT:

image_folder.jpg.c486b0a05cd921183645341506605347.jpg

6 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

it puts .icns files where they don't belong.

This should be a historical legacy, caused by the previous database. You can delete the database and select "Download Upgrade Package" under the "Help" menu, and it will probably be fine.

Which Commits are used in OCAT for updating OpenCore? OCAT does not provide information about that. But in order to discuss OpenCore issues it is necessary to know which build someone is using.

When I update it OpenCore manually, I use these nightly builds: https://dortania.github.io/builds/?product=OpenCorePkg&viewall=true

The official release are packages from Acidanthera https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/releases

I think being able to switch between these two trees (official/nightly) would be great. Then you know exactly which version someone is using.

Thanks

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Which Commits are used in OCAT for updating OpenCore?

I only use the official OC version, I think it is reliable enough, as for the third party version you mentioned, I can consider it later. Thanks for the suggestion.
The version I use is here, officially released by OC.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/actions

17 minutes ago, ic005k said:

I only use the official OC version, I think it is reliable enough, as for the third party version you mentioned, I can consider it later. Thanks for the suggestion.
The version I use is here, officially released by OC.

https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/actions

I think that's identical with the one on the Dortania site. (Same Commit #)

2 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

I think that's identical with the one on the Dortania site. (Same Commit #)

Yes, there is not much difference, originating from the OC official. But I habitually use the official OC release.

@5T33Z0Come up with any new ideas and come together to improve the quality of OCAT's products.

33 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

using the update feature, the program crashes.

Is there a download progress bar?

34 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

A new sub-menu in the File menu for recently used files.  "File" > "Open Recent…"

This feature has been moved to the toolbar, the third button.

2 hours ago, ic005k said:

Is there a download progress bar?

This feature has been moved to the toolbar, the third button.

1. No, progress bar, it just crashed. Then I manually installed it.

2. A file path in the "Open recent…" menu would be helpful. Otherwise you just have entries without any references, like:

1. config
  2. config
  3. config

3 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

No, progress bar, it just crashed. Then I manually installed it.

Okay, I'll look for the reason.

6 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

A file path in the "Open recent…" menu would be helpful.

Add this in the next release.

@5T33Z0When you select "Download upgrade package" under the "Help" menu, does it also cause the app to crash?