Marvell Yukon PCI-E 8056 works?

rgb

91 posts in this topic

Yes please! It would save us much confusion! (Plus I've been at it editing this .plist for almost 4hrs...)

omgosh hi2u...i saw your avatar and was like nuh uh...and sure enough its you ;)

Back on track...

On my boss's Rampage Formula it has two Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI Express. Upon initial install I had showing a single ethernet device that said tis media was disconnected but the port was lit on on the switch and the motherboard. So i tried the other card port and that stayed turned off :(

Then i found this thread and follwed the kext edit and removed the ethernet port on the network settings and rebooted.

OSx did not find the new device on its own, I went to preferences then clicked + and choose ethernet, but noticed there were ANOTHER ethernet listed, so I did the same on that one...Whaddaya know! After doing both of them I now have working network! :P

Thanks for the help of your posts!!

I just got 88E8056 working on my GA-P965 DS3 ( rev.3), with iDeben 10.5.4

I tried all the .plist editing suggested in the various threads, but nothing worked. Then I decided to have a look at the AppleYukon2.kext on my Macbook Pro which is running Leopard 10.5.4.

Turns out the .plist on my Mac contains more info than the AppleYukon2.kext from both Jas and iDeben installs.

I guess those are "old" Tiger/Leopard .kext files or something.

Anyway, copying the entire IONetworkingFamily.kext over from my Macbook Pro and doing the editing to change 88E8053 entry to 88E8056 entry I was buzzed to see the Network preferences popping up with my Etheret once I id the touch command.

For anyone else having trouble on 10.5.4, here's the .plist syntax that worke for me ( bolded parts are what I changed from the original Macbook Pro .plist;

<key>Yukon-88E805[b]6[/b]</key>
       <dict>
           <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
           <string>com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon2</string>
           <key>EnableLowPwr</key>
           <integer>1</integer>
           <key>IOClass</key>
           <string>yukon2osx</string>
           <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
           <string>0x436[b]4[/b]11ab</string>
           <key>IOProviderClass</key>
           <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
           <key>MACNumber</key>
           <integer>1</integer>
           <key>Model</key>
           <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E805[b]6[/b] Singleport Copper SA</string>
           <key>NetworkNumber</key>
           <integer>1</integer>
           <key>Vendor</key>
           <string>Marvell</string>
       </dict>

Hope this helps, and thanks to everyone who's helping out on these boards.

For anyone else having trouble on 10.5.4, here's the .plist syntax that worke for me ( bolded parts are what I changed from the original Macbook Pro .plist;

Hope this helps, and thanks to everyone who's helping out on these boards.

I think that's pretty much what I have now. I was using the old AppleYukon for a while but started getting PCI errors and all sorts of {censored}. So I'm now using an edited 10.5.4 kext much like yours.

I still get regular errors with Safari saying "You are not connected to the internet.". Try again in a few seconds and it might work. Doesn't seem to happen with Firefox. I vaguely remember similar {censored} with Safari in Tiger on my iBook too until I eventually dropped it for Firefox. Do you get this on your MBP? I'm wondering if it's a bug in the driver (which hopefully will be fixed in 10.5.5) or maybe there's a slight difference in the chipsets. I have my ethernet set to a static IP so I can rule out DHCP renewing the IP address.

I still get regular errors with Safari saying "You are not connected to the internet.". Try again in a few seconds and it might work. Doesn't seem to happen with Firefox. I vaguely remember similar {censored} with Safari in Tiger on my iBook too until I eventually dropped it for Firefox. Do you get this on your MBP? I'm wondering if it's a bug in the driver (which hopefully will be fixed in 10.5.5) or maybe there's a slight difference in the chipsets. I have my ethernet set to a static IP so I can rule out DHCP renewing the IP address.

I've never had that happen to me on my MBP, no.

On my new hackintosh, I'm using DHCP so far with no issues.

I goggled around a bit earlier and I think I may have found the problem. At the end of this long long thread where people are pretty much having the same problem, it seems it may be a bug in OS X getting the dns server addresses from the router. The fix is to add them to the ethernet settings. So I'll try that next time I'm back in Leo and see if that fixes things.

UPDATE

Looks like it has. Been surfing away happily for a couple of hours now in Safari and no trace of the dreaded "You are not connected to the internet" page. Sweet!

Just to let everyone know. On my Asus P5WDG2-WS I had the 88E8062 even though the Asus website says it has the 88E8001 and 88E8056.

I found this ought by running lspci that was installed with OSX86Tools.

Now after I edited my info.plist it still did not show my Dual LAN ports in the Network tab. So on a whim I changed my <key>IOPCISecondayMatch</key> right below to the output 'lspci -nn-vv' gave me. Guess what! Both ports showed up, but it still did not get an IP. So then I just added a clone of the ports (one for en0 and on for en1) and set them to off insted of DHCP and boom instant connectivity.

If you want to try the Secondary Vendow and Device IDs do this:

1. Get lspci installed. (I recommend OSX86Tools and hit the get vendor ID box and follow instructions up until you finish rebooting)

2. Then in Terminal run 'lspci -nnvv'

3. The out put will show:

Vendor: blah blah blah blah [yyyy:xxxx] <---- Primary DevID:VendorID

Subvendor: blah blah blah [yyyy:xxxx] <---- Secondary DevID:VendorID

Good luck.

It seems to be hit or miss. With the Kext editing. It worked fin in Kalyway 10.5.2 but in JAS 10.5.4 Client or Server it does not work. I copied the kext that work for Kalyways to the new boxes and it was no go. I even tried a fresh one. Nope not working.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to be hit or miss. With the Kext editing. It worked fin in Kalyway 10.5.2 but in JAS 10.5.4 Client or Server it does not work. I copied the kext that work for Kalyways to the new boxes and it was no go. I even tried a fresh one. Nope not working.

That's the exact same problem I've been having with my SP35P2. Kalyway 10.5.2 works, JAS 10.5.4 doesn't. Editing doesn't do it, copying from Kalyway doesn't work. Maybe there's additional files that IONetworkingFamily depends on that need edits or have changed since?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only get self-signed IP however i try to change it, it wont connect properly. And the connection light at the back is read instead of green, so i guess it doesnt connect at all.

Gonna plugin another card. The Realtek card in this P5K Premium creates random Kernel Panics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I got another problem

when I boot without -f the ethernet is unpluged

I need to add -f everytime I boot

How can I get it done ????

I have the same problem. Quite annoying!

Hmmm, normally I wouldn't be too concerned with losing Gigabit LAN but this is starting to irritate me...

As per the other thread, I downloaded the DS3 pack and extracted Yukon.kext from that. I had tried this earlier and on startup OS X would state the extension had been improperly installed so was useless.

I edited the details in info.plist (change 8053 to 8056 and 46 to 42 to whatever it was) and renamed it Yukon2 but I still have the same problem where it won't initialise unless I boot with -f

:D

• 3 weeks later...

well, i have my 8056 working on 10.5.6 on a Gigabyte 965P DS3 rev 3.3. But, I'm having a problem with dropped connections. I will pick back up after a few seconds but annoying since it dumps me out of the MMO I play.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Update, I had applied the "Timemachine Fix" using OSX86tools on top of my vanilla install. Apparently this option installs an old, hacked IONetworkingFamily.kext. Editing the plist of the Yukon2 plugin worked but I wanted a vanilla install so I replaced it with the version that came with the 10.5.6 update.

Can confirm that this breaks and the Yukon2 driver will only load with the -f on startup or you can manually load it with kextload. I also tried adding an EFI string and also the en0 > GIGA0 fix using the DSDT approach. Both worked, but did not fix the fact that the kext simply won't load upon startup.

Here is what I get loading the plugin manually -

sh-3.2# kextload -v AppleYukon2.kext/

extension AppleYukon2.kext/ has potential problems:

Warnings

{

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style" = true

}

kextload: extension AppleYukon2.kext/ appears to be loadable

kextload: loading extension AppleYukon2.kext/

kextload: AppleYukon2.kext/ loaded successfully

kextload: sending personalities to kernel:

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext:

kextload: IONetworkStack

kextload: Kernel Debugging Driver

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386

kextload: IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI

kextload: from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext:

kextload: SK-9S21

kextload: SK-9E81

kextload: SK-9E92

kextload: SK-9S81

kextload: SK-9E21

kextload: Yukon-88E8055

kextload: SK-9S91

kextload: SK-9E22

kextload: SK-9S92

kextload: SK-9S22

kextload: Yukon-88E8062

kextload: SK-9E82

kextload: Yukon-88E8055-B0

kextload: Yukon-88E8056

kextload: SK-9S82

kextload: Yukon-88E8061

kextload: SK-9E91

kextload: sending 22 personalities to the kernel

kextload: matching started for AppleYukon2.kext/

It's important to get this working even if you don't use the interface, because both the EFI and DSDT approaches to fixing TimeMachine and other programs that check for en0(built-in) need a functioning and loaded driver to work (even if you are just going to disable the interface and use wireless)

Hoping someone can figure out whats going here.

• 3 weeks later...
To get your Yukon 88E8056 Ethernet to work, you need to add your device id to the AppleYukon.kext. Go to Terminal and type:
cd /System/Library/Extensions											 <-- changes directory
sudo nano IONetworking.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Info.plist   <-- edits file

(find and change: <key>Yukon-88E8053</key>)
  (to:			  <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>)	   <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>)
  (to:			  <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>)	   <-- change "53" to "56"

(find and change: <string>0x436211AB</string>)
  (to:			  <string>0x436411AB</string>)	<-- change "62" to "64"

(press Control-O)								   <-- saves changes
(press Y and Enter)								 <-- accepts saving to existing file
(press Control-X)								   <-- exits nano

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext	<-- repairs permissions
cd /System/Library								  <-- changes directories
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache   <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

Then reboot.

hi i have a marvell yukon 88e8071.. can this solution work for me?